Cheap crappy eBay lights

eng

Newly Enlightened
Being one of those people that Will Rogers described as needing "to pee on the electric fence themselves" in order to learn things, I bought a set of 7" lights for $20.

[h=1]7" CHROME PROJECTOR CLEAR HEADLIGHTS ROUND W/H4 LIGHT BULBS, seller: carpartsinnovate.[/h]Yup, just like some of you smart guys would've told me, the quality is, um, less than stellar. I probably have never bought anything as sorry as this.

First, the quality of the plastic molding is abysmal. There are actually voids and gaps in the edges where the mold didn't fill all the way.

You know the lugs on the back that are supposed to line up with the notches in the headlight bucket? They aren't indexed with the pattern molded into the inside of the reflector, and then the lens, which has a couple of horizontal lines (just for looks) and the word "TOP" molded into it, isn't lined up with either the reflector pattern OR the indexing lugs.

One of the screws that hold the bulb-clamping spring popped out, the lights had bits of plastic rattling around inside, and the bulbs were blue-coated even though the seller assured me that they were clear.

There was a bonus feature of some little wedge-base lights poked through the reflector (euro-style pilot lights?) with rubber bases. I pulled them out, since they didn't clear the headlight mount bucket. Just pulling them out of the holes tore them, and the rubber was a kind of sticky, gooey stuff. Maybe they are counting on the intense heat of the 100w halogen bulb to finish curing the rubber?

I ground the indexing lugs off and mounted them up anyway, figuring that I'd rather have my round-headlight conversion Trooper finished
party.gif
and driveable that to have my $20 back.

When it got dark, I aimed them. Not very much light for a 100 watts. High beam is kind of vague--doesn't light the road up past about 50 feet. Low beam has all kinds of distracting light/dark streaks and splotches.
icon13.gif

My hopes were pretty modest, and my expectations even lower, but this is truly, amazingly, astoundingly poor stuff.

I'll do some research now and figure out a better plan. May just go buy some cheap halogen sealed-beams at the parts store. I've got pretty nice driving lights on this truck for high-beams, so I can get by with sorry lights for a while. But eventually, I want to get it right. Without spending hundreds of dollars, of course.

Chinese Manufacturing Motto: Abysmal is the new Adequate.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
Consider yourself 'enlightened'.

Why not just go for the best? Use Cibie housings, Osram Rallye 70/65W H4 (I'm assuming you have a two headlamp system) and a relayed harness kit to deliver full voltage to your lights. It is well worth it.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why not just go for the best? Use Cibie housings, Osram Rallye 70/65W H4 (I'm assuming you have a two headlamp system) and a relayed harness kit to deliver full voltage to your lights. It is well worth it.
Pretty sure that's what is in my parents 4wd I'm driving at the moment (cibie housings anyway) - they are pretty darn good, maybe not the best lights I have driven behind (I know, it's subjective) but nice none the less.

eng

Newly Enlightened

The only three reasons that I can think of are:
1. money
2. money
3. money

And "tight" is such an ugly word--we prefer "fiscally retentive".

eng

Newly Enlightened
The Cibie lights are also a little scarce, but I did find them on Daniel Stern Lighting's website for $80. Not sure if that includes bulbs or not. Also remember reading some reference to a Japanese version (started with a K) that was reported to be very good and available at Toyota dealers, and was also used on a lot of Kawasaki motorcycles. I might go pilfer in my tub of motorcycle headlights and see if there might be one or two in there.

Best bang for the Buck is what I'm looking for.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
The Cibie lights are also a little scarce, but I did find them on Daniel Stern Lighting's website for $80. Not sure if that includes bulbs or not. Also remember reading some reference to a Japanese version (started with a K) that was reported to be very good and available at Toyota dealers, and was also used on a lot of Kawasaki motorcycles. I might go pilfer in my tub of motorcycle headlights and see if there might be one or two in there.

Koito...Toyota has quite a few of their headlight housings made by Koito. My Toyota Tacoma is so equipped. I only rec-amended those bulbs and harness kit, because of my experience with the major improvement it gives to lumen output.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey I was from the city how was I supposed to know what the fence had those white insulators for?? Besides we had been enjoying some generic wine( Annie Green Springs or Boones Farm) and well you know the rest of the story.

eng

Newly Enlightened
Hey I was from the city how was I supposed to know what the fence had those white insulators for?? Besides we had been enjoying some generic wine( Annie Green Springs or Boones Farm) and well you know the rest of the story.

See, now, if you had popped for the name brand instead of that cheap eBay wine........

Hilldweller

Enlightened

The Cibies are much better but you can usually find the Hellas for a decent price.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting...out&ppcfon=1&gclid=CLuYlZH7_r4CFU5afgodyJcAnw

eng

Newly Enlightened

Hilldweller

Enlightened
Where are you? Anywhere near GA?
I've got a set of 7" round H13s from my Jeep that I'd trade you for a 12 pack of Oskar Blues' Old Chub. Only about a week's use. You'd just have to snip-n-crimp or buy an H13 plug. But they'd retrofit in fine.
EDIT: Daniel Stern must be watching the forums. :sssh: I got an email yesterday, just catching up, and he casually mentioned that he needed a set of stock H13 reflectors for tinkering. So my stock Jeep buckets are on the way to him.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?382440-Bright-Ideas-for-my-New-Jeep

Caveat: stock Jeep lights suck...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/headlight-shootout-1166827/

Last edited:

eng

Newly Enlightened
Just an update on my crappy lights. The ebay seller has been working very hard to contact me, including an actual phone call, as well as several emails imploring me to let them refund my money or replace the lights. On the phone call, the very nice lady offered to refund my money if I would revise my feedback. So basically, they would like to buy some positive feedback for $20. I guess they are responsive and all that, but the bottom line is that the stuff they are selling is crap, so I'm letting my feedback stand, and they can keep my $20.

Hilldweller, I would certainly take you up on that light/brew swap if you'd be willing to ship and take money in lieu of actual physical beverage.

Hilldweller

Enlightened

Hilldweller, I would certainly take you up on that light/brew swap if you'd be willing to ship and take money in lieu of actual physical beverage.
Sorry; Daniel Stern beat you too them. They're on his bench in Canada being tortured.

You can almost always find Hellas on the web for a good price. 4WheelParts runs sales on them all the time. Amazon, Ebay, etc.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
Somebody tell this poor guy where to buy decent sealed beams that fit. If he was willing to use my JK H13s, a Sylvania sealed beam can't be any worse, right?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Virtually all the sealed beams you can buy new these days are really poor headlamps. and Sylvania sealed beams are some of the worst (though the dreck from Eiko makes Sylvania look good). The GE Night Hawk H6024NH is about the only 7-inch round sealed beam presently in production that can't be called absolute junk. With that said, in a forced choice between the crappy eBay lights versus Sylvania, Wagner, or GE sealed beams, then yes, the sealed beams would definitely win.

(Hilldweller, you mention Daniel Stern and sealed beams: a year or two ago, I visited with Stern and he showed me a 7" round halogen sealed beam that really knocked my socks off -- excellent low and high beam output and beam focus, good glare control, just overall a great headlamp. It was from one of the Japanese manufacturers and very expensive as sealed beams go.)

Hilldweller

Enlightened
(Hilldweller, you mention Daniel Stern and sealed beams: a year or two ago, I visited with Stern and he showed me a 7" round halogen sealed beam that really knocked my socks off -- excellent low and high beam output and beam focus, good glare control, just overall a great headlamp. It was from one of the Japanese manufacturers and very expensive as sealed beams go.)
Yeah; Koito. He's tried tempting me with them. Like offering ice cream to a lactose intolerant diabetic...
I don't think they were all that pricey considering how well they perform. But, then again, I'm an addict.

NFT5

Newly Enlightened
Koito. I had a set of those in 146mm back in the mid '70s in a Datsun 1600. Teamed with 100w aircraft landing lights in the high beams (not even suggesting they were legal) it was a pretty effective combination. Well, seemed to be, at the time.

It was the end of my experience with sealed beams but a good finish, I thought, to an era of woeful lights and I welcomed the advent of semi-sealed halogens with ECE beam patterns.

I think someone else was making them at the time, too. Lucas? I was told they were standard equipment on the Rolls Royce.

eng

Newly Enlightened
Virtually all the sealed beams you can buy new these days are really poor headlamps. and Sylvania sealed beams are some of the worst (though the dreck from Eiko makes Sylvania look good). The GE Night Hawk H6024NH is about the only 7-inch round sealed beam presently in production that can't be called absolute junk. With that said, in a forced choice between the crappy eBay lights versus Sylvania, Wagner, or GE sealed beams, then yes, the sealed beams would definitely win.

I'm curious why the sealed beams are so bad. Are they worse than they were 30 years ago, or are our standards just a lot higher? I faintly remember being dramatically impressed when HALOGEN sealed beams came out. They seemed amazing. But you're right about the ebay lights--old tungsten sealed beams are better than this.