Can't figure out what to do

jgreen76

Newly Enlightened
I am in the utility business that does a TON of walking, I need a light to have a ton of throw for seeing far distances 200-300 yards would be nice. I don't need a ton of flood but some would be good, I'm more focused on a good throwing light that is plenty bright that won't break the bank. My budget is in the $50 range. (i know thats not much) but thats where im at right now... Thanks in advance!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I am in the utility business that does a TON of walking, I need a light to have a ton of throw for seeing far distances 200-300 yards would be nice. I don't need a ton of flood but some would be good, I'm more focused on a good throwing light that is plenty bright that won't break the bank. My budget is in the $50 range. (i know thats not much) but thats where im at right now... Thanks in advance!

What kind of thing(s) do you need to be able to tell at 300 yards?

I ask, because some things can be seen at lower light levels than others, and, some need a lot more light to see well enough.

How large is too large?

Can you use rechargeable li-ion cells?

If you describe your use, it helps to narrow things down, especially as you have a miniscule budget.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Streamlight 4AA ProPolymax Flashlight + rechargeable AAs and backup alkalines

That's an awfully teeny dim beam at the ranges he's talking about. Its less than 1 lux a 300 yards, and he's looking for a light that will work to 200 - 300 yards.

That streamlight has petered out to ~ 1 lux at about 140 yards, less than half of the range he's going to need, and that's if he only needs to see guys in white standing out at that range.

We don't know yet if he needs to see lower contrast targets, but, even guys in white disco suits would be hidden with the Streamlight.

:D

The Streamlight, for perspective has a cd of ~ 17k cd. To get even ONE lux at 300 yards, he'd need ~ 80 k cd.

Last edited:

crucialcolin

Newly Enlightened
hrm with the $50 budget would a Thrunite TN11S work?

there's also the Convoy C8/L4 budget lights since I was looking at them myself. The only thing with these is there isn't really a whole lot of good numbers on them.

*edit my guess is probably not*

indeed budget is a hard one.

Last edited:

Vinniec5

Enlightened
My fault I was thinking 20-30yds and dropped the zero due to the heat today:whistle: Maybe a Nitecore EA8 would fit the bill better but the $50 budget is the hard part