Small Light for Car Detailing Paint Analysis

Jmolli

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for recommendations for a small flashlight to be used for seeing swirls and scratches in car paint finishes. I was thinking of something with a focusing capability (Led Lenser??), but I'm open to suggestions. It needs to be strong enough to work outside in the sun if necessary.

John

Jmolli

Newly Enlightened
Olight SR Mini Intimidator

Charlie,

Thanks for the reply. Wow, I was looking in a whole different direction, thinking that I needed something that could be easily focused to a point of light, so I could see the swirl marks eminating from the light point. The Mini Intimidator, with its diffuser lens and incredible power, is something I hadn't come across yet in my LED light search on the web. Is that the way I should go? Have you used it for finding paint defects in automobile finishes? I could see it being useful for lighting up defects in broader areas, is that the idea?

John

Bucur

Enlightened
I am using several flashlights for finding swirls and impurities on car paint. LED's are great for this purpose but the task is not as simple as it sounds. There are too many variables. One flashlight that works great under some conditions may fail under other conditions, even on another panel of the same car, even during the same session. The curvatures of the body, the resulting shades and reflections and my own angle of view play me visual games that may be quite misleading.

Sometimes a powerful flashlight shows the defects that a weaker flashlight cannot. Sometimes the opposite happens. Sometimes a flooder works better, sometimes a thrower. In my experience, there is no single flashlight that shows them all at all times.

My favorite pocket light for this purpose is my Niteye 10 TIC. The infinitely adjustable control ring enables me to find the right amount of light. I play with the ring all the time. At some point, it eventually shows an impurity that was otherwise invisible. This sweet point changes all around the car. I also keep my Preon P0 handy. Its pure flood proves useful in some cases but a little more power could be beneficial. A Preon Atom, for instance, could be more useful in complimenting my Niteye 10.

If you are a professional car detailer, you may, perhaps, consider dedicated swirl-finders like Brinkmann or Flex but I have never used one so I have no experience with them. I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link but you can find them via Google.

Sunlight is the ultimate swirl-finder, though. Besides, nothing is "strong enough" when it comes to the sun! I use flashlights only indoors to see if further corrections are needed or if some streaks or spots remain but eventually, I pull the car out for the ultimate control.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

P.S.: Headlamps don't work for me. The reflection just blinds me. I always need a different angle of illumination than my angle of view.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the chappy who polishes cars at £6000 a go,he produces a finish better than any painter,plenty of info about him and a few tv shows about his work.

Jmolli

Newly Enlightened
I am using several flashlights for finding swirls and impurities on car paint. LED's are great for this purpose but the task is not as simple as it sounds. There are too many variables. One flashlight that works great under some conditions may fail under other conditions, even on another panel of the same car, even during the same session. The curvatures of the body, the resulting shades and reflections and my own angle of view play me visual games that may be quite misleading.

Sometimes a powerful flashlight shows the defects that a weaker flashlight cannot. Sometimes the opposite happens. Sometimes a flooder works better, sometimes a thrower. In my experience, there is no single flashlight that shows them all at all times.

My favorite pocket light for this purpose is my Niteye 10 TIC. The infinitely adjustable control ring enables me to find the right amount of light. I play with the ring all the time. At some point, it eventually shows an impurity that was otherwise invisible. This sweet point changes all around the car. I also keep my Preon P0 handy. Its pure flood proves useful in some cases but a little more power could be beneficial. A Preon Atom, for instance, could be more useful in complimenting my Niteye 10.

If you are a professional car detailer, you may, perhaps, consider dedicated swirl-finders like Brinkmann or Flex but I have never used one so I have no experience with them. I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link but you can find them via Google.

Sunlight is the ultimate swirl-finder, though. Besides, nothing is "strong enough" when it comes to the sun! I use flashlights only indoors to see if further corrections are needed or if some streaks or spots remain but eventually, I pull the car out for the ultimate control.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

P.S.: Headlamps don't work for me. The reflection just blinds me. I always need a different angle of illumination than my angle of view.

Thanks Bucur for your detailed reply. I like the idea of using an infinitely variable, control ring light. I'm leaning towards a Sunwayman V25C. I'll have to take a look at the Niteye. Does anyone know if there exists a light that is both variable control and also "focusable" (like an LED Lenser), that seems like the ideal setup for seeing paint defects.

John

Last edited:

radiopej

Enlightened
I'm not sure if this would help, but people seem to like the Nichia 219 LED for the colour representation. I don't know how defects change with different lights but that one is supposed to be great. You could buy a Solarforce host and add a Nichia dropin from Nailbender at Custom Lites. Maybe $60 in total? You can pick the modes, so a 4-level one has moonlight, low, medium and high.

I'm hopefully getting one soon.

The Voice of Reason

Newly Enlightened
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Rupes (makers of DA polishers) markets a swirl finder light with a focusable beam.

Here in Australia it sells for around 80 bucks. Around 60 in the US.