• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

CLOSED TM36vn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
TM36vn

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TM36 Stock Observation

With my cheap light meter I measured 13900 LUX at 18 feet for the TK61vn & 11,000 LUX for a stock TM36
If we assume the TK61vn throw 600K Lux then by cross multiplying and solve for X I got ~475K Lux for a stock TM36

It's hard to tell in the photos due to the cool tint of the TM36 but in real life the TK61vn clearly out-throw the stock TM36

Why is the TM36 do expensive?

1) Ultra thick copper heat sink
2) LED Copper PCB solder bonded to Copper heat sink below! I thought only I do this LOL
3) Attention to detail everywhere. Look at how large those LED wires are compared to a 22 AWG wire. High quality thermal paste at key connection
4) High quality battery pack
5) Flawless aluminum reflector
6) Perfect focus beam
7) Massive weight = great heat sinking
8) LCD screen for crucial info
9) High quality thick AR glass
10) Reflector thread onto body so it too helps with heat sinking
11) Retail SBT-70 cost $70 while XML2 cost $10 at most places
------------------------------------------------------
TM36vn - New Throw King
XML2 PDTc Dedome + Current Boost

At 18 feet TK61vn Measured 14,240 Lux
At 18 Feet TM36vn Measured 17,340 Lux
If we assume Selfbuilt 622K Lux for the TK61vn we can cross multiply and interpolated that the TM36vn is 757K Lux!

Yes these numbers are so rough that it's probably doesn't worth much.
However it is confirmed that the TM36vn throws more and may be roughly 20% more than the TK61vn.

Last edited:

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: TM36vn

interesting... I thought the stock spec was around 210,000 lux ? Maybe my memory is incorrect lol.

kj2

Flashaholic

Why is the TM36 do expensive?

1) Ultra thick copper heat sink
2) LED Copper PCB solder bonded to Copper heat sink below! I thought only I do this LOL
3) Attention to detail everywhere. Look at how large those LED wires are compared to a 22 AWG wire. High quality thermal paste at key connection
4) High quality battery pack
5) Flawless aluminum reflector
6) Perfect focus beam
7) Massive weight = great heat sinking
8) LCD screen for crucial info
9) High quality thick AR glass
10) Reflector thread onto body so it too helps with heat sinking
11) Retail SBT-70 cost $70 while XML2 cost $10 at most places

I like :D
Now I understand the $500,- price-tag what it has ;)

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

interesting... I thought the stock spec was around 210,000 lux ? Maybe my memory is incorrect lol.

Yep, stock spec is 310kcd, not 210. Still, IF Vinh's estimate is correct, it is doing 50% more than rated. If that is true of all of the TM36s sold, this just became a lot better deal. $500 is a lot, but this helps me understand why...it isn't just the OLED and battery pack. Nitecore decided to go premium on this one!

TEEJ

Flashaholic

TM36vn

With my cheap light meter I measured 27,800,000 LUX at 18 feet for the TK61vn & 22,000,000 LUX for a stock TM36
If we assume the TK61vn throw 600K Lux then by cross multiplying and solve for X I got ~475K Lux for a stock TM36

I'm thinking that 27 million eight hundred thousand lux is not correct, and, that most meters don't go that high...

Is it possible that you meant more like 27,800 lux at 18 feet (Which would be more like ~ 838 k cd)?

Similarly, 22,000 lux at 18' would be more like 663 k cd.

So if your "Cheap lux meter" is off by the same factor across its sensor range (Unlikely actually...), so that it read both high by the same proportion, you could simply use the ratio you did to "correct for" the meter's lack of accuracy, and, absolute data values.

Now, your measurement was only at ~ 5.4864 meters (18'), whereas the ANSI measurement is done at 10 meters (~32.808'), and, some hard throwers needing the measurement to be done even further away to be representative of a beam's true range.

THAT all means that a short ~ 5 meter measurement would favor the weaker thrower, as, proportionally, its beam would tend to be MORE fully formed at any given distance, than the stronger thrower's beam.

So the measured differences above might be showing the two as being closer than they might actually be.

:D

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Edited post 1. I multiply by 20,000 instead of 10. My mistake. But the relative cross multiply value is the same.

I'm thinking that 27 million eight hundred thousand lux is not correct, and, that most meters don't go that high...

Is it possible that you meant more like 27,800 lux at 18 feet (Which would be more like ~ 838 k cd)?

Similarly, 22,000 lux at 18' would be more like 663 k cd.

So if your "Cheap lux meter" is off by the same factor across its sensor range (Unlikely actually...), so that it read both high by the same proportion, you could simply use the ratio you did to "correct for" the meter's lack of accuracy, and, absolute data values.

Now, your measurement was only at ~ 5.4864 meters (18'), whereas the ANSI measurement is done at 10 meters (~32.808'), and, some hard throwers needing the measurement to be done even further away to be representative of a beam's true range.

THAT all means that a short ~ 5 meter measurement would favor the weaker thrower, as, proportionally, its beam would tend to be MORE fully formed at any given distance, than the stronger thrower's beam.

So the measured differences above might be showing the two as being closer than they might actually be.

:D

a199578

Enlightened

:( I see... should have waited 2 weeks but at more than twice the price of tk61vn I turn my sad face into a happy face!

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whoa! I'll bet there will still be demand for this despite the price. Right, guys? :devil:

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: TM36vn - THE NEW THROW KING (TK61vn = Second Place)

Not for me. Especially since I need binoculars to max out the 61 lol
Awesome though!

Patt

Enlightened

I'm waiting until a smaller light or at least not bigger than the TK61 and less cheaper will be the new "throw king"...with @least...950kcd or more...(even if it takes minimum a year or 2...lol^^) :devil::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::D

Last edited:

MIKES250R

Enlightened

HOW MUCH IS THIS GONNA COST?

My checking account can't take it anymore!

"Throw equals money...How far do you wanna shine"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts