Wuben        
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Test/Review of Analyzing Charger Powerex MH-C9000

Default Re: Test/Review of Analyzing Charger Powerex MH-C9000

Quote Originally Posted by kreisl View Post
    "top-off charge is 100mA, trickle charge is 10mA" .. Does this identically apply no matter which battery is inserted, AA (2500mAh) or AAA (600mAh) ?
    Charger do not know what battery is in it, it used the same each time.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

I would like another C9000 after my last one died, but spending £50 on an nihm only charger when i can get an BT-C3100 for £25 and it does nihm and li-ion.

John.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    I would like another C9000 after my last one died, but spending £50 on an nihm only charger when i can get an BT-C3100 for £25 and it does nihm and li-ion.

John.
    John, yeah...when you look at it that way, it probably doesn't make sense. I spent about the same, in not a bit more on my LaCrosse BC-700, than I did on my C9000 at the same time and I wouldn't do it again.

Still, the Maha is an excellent NiMH charger with a long track record.

Starting anew, the SkyRC MC3000 might be the most cost effective way to go if one is smart enough and likes to utilize all of its features.

I'm neither.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    Charger do not know what battery is in it, it used the same each time.
    Thanks for the confirmation of information!

Default Test/Review of Analyzing Charger Powerex MH-C9000

Put these new 2400 mah batteries on break in cycle last night. I set each battery to 2400 mah when starting it. This morning they're showing on charge and they're all showing in the ~3300 mah range. Is something wrong with the batteries or charger? Do I just let it keep doing its thing?

Edit:

It finally started resting 12 mins ago. The mah on all 4 is ~3440. These are 2440 batteries and I made sure to enter that when starting the Break-In mode. Pics are below showing the mah put into them during the charge cycle.

I'm still new to the terms but the below are the 2 possible reasons I can think of. My terms you'll notice what I put in quotes below.

1- Did the charger just miss the "whatever it's called" that they were fully charged and kept charging till it caught it at around ~3440?

2- Could the batteries have been made to hold a lot more than rated by mistake and actually have a capacity around ~3440?

With the above said, is the only way to know the true capacity of these to wait to see the mah after the final charge after it discharges the batteries? Or would it be the mah on the discharge it will run after resting?

If it's on the discharge, and the discharge shows ~2400 mah, and the 2nd charge puts out ~3440 math again, does that mean these batteries are bad or that the charger is starting to have issues?

Slot 1:

Slot 2

Slot 3:

Slot 4:
    Last edited by johnc847; 03-05-2016 at 10:58 AM.

You need to wait until the break-in period is over. The B.I. function slowly overcharges the batteries over a 16 hour charge cycle at .1C per hour, IIRC. Once the B.I. is complete, you will see the final charged capacity as displayed and it will be lower.

Freaked me out the first time, as well!

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Silver Moderator

Hello Johnc847,

The Break In function is designed to do a timed charge for 16 hours and charge roughly at a rate of 0.1C. If you put 2400 mAh at the start, the charge rate will be around 240 mA. If the charger was a constant current charger it would put 240 X 16 = 3840 mAh INTO the cell. Since it pulses you only get about 90% of that, so I would expect to see 3456 mAh.

It looks like the math and reality are reasonably close...

Keep in mind that the amount put in does not equal the amount you can use. You need to do a discharge to determine that amount.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    Hello Johnc847,

The Break In function is designed to do a timed charge for 16 hours and charge roughly at a rate of 0.1C. If you put 2400 mAh at the start, the charge rate will be around 240 mA. If the charger was a constant current charger it would put 240 X 16 = 3840 mAh INTO the cell. Since it pulses you only get about 90% of that, so I would expect to see 3456 mAh.

It looks like the math and reality are reasonably close...

Keep in mind that the amount put in does not equal the amount you can use. You need to do a discharge to determine that amount.

Tom
    Ok thank you very much! I was worried the batteries were defective and would leak or the charger was going bad or something. Glad everything is good. Thank you again!

So what were the capacity results for you 2400mah AA ??, it looks like they were Amazon Basics from the photo, they have an 2500mah AA version now, Amazon seems to sell a lot of their own branded battery now, though they seem expensive in the UK, you can buy Eneloops at those prices.

£8.99/$12.80 for 4 x AA 2000mah Amazon Basics is expensive, I can get Lidl 4xAA 2300mah for £2.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/re...qid=1457261602

John.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

Default Test/Review of Analyzing Charger Powerex MH-C9000

So what were the capacity results for you 2400mah AA ??, it looks like they were Amazon Basics from the photo, they have an 2500mah AA version now, Amazon seems to sell a lot of their own branded battery now, though they seem expensive in the UK, you can buy Eneloops at those prices.

£8.99/$12.80 for 4 x AA 2000mah Amazon Basics is expensive, I can get Lidl 4xAA 2300mah for £2.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/re...qid=1457261602

John.
    The label says 2400 mah. The discharge finished overnight and it's now in charge. I'm still getting used to this charger. Is the only way to see the actual capacity after a discharge cycle completes? If so is there anyway to see what that was since it's now in charge, or would I need to run just a discharge cycle alone after this break-in completes?

That's weird you can get 2500 mah. I don't see those as an option. The highest mah I see is 2400 and have been buying those in an 8 pack for $19.99.

AmazonBasics AA High-Capacity Rechargeable Batteries (8-Pack) Pre-charged https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZV9WTM..._-1d3wbNGBW66F

I googled Lidl and are you talking about Tronic batteries? If so are they good? I mainly use my rechargeable AA's in my scanner all day so I like batteries that last a long time per charge and that will last many charges.

Do you think I should stop buying these Amazon and switch to something else? If so what do you recommend? Eneloop with around 2400 mah are pretty expensive here. A 4 pack of 2550 mah are $16.75.

Panasonic BK-3HCCA4BA Eneloop Pro AA High Capacity Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries (Pack of 4) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHKSL28..._J5d3wbN8ZHF8V
    Last edited by johnc847; 03-06-2016 at 08:29 AM.

CPF has a few threads on Tronic Lidl battery just do a search and they get good result, I just finished a capacity test using my BT-C3100 on 8x Tronic Energy Eco 2300mah and i got and average of 2250-2280mah and that`s not bad for £2.99 a pack 4 battery`s

Yeah, I double checked Amazon 2500mah see photo below.

Panasonic Pro AA or also know as Eneloop XX are only 500 cycle and they have been tested as low as 300 cycles if you run them flat every time.

John.

CPF has a few threads on Tronic Lidl battery just do a search and they get good result, I just finished a capacity test using my BT-C3100 on 8x Tronic Energy Eco 2300mah and i got and average of 2250-2280mah and that`s not bad for £2.99 a pack 4 battery`s

Yeah, I double checked Amazon 2500mah see photo below.

Panasonic Pro AA or also know as Eneloop XX are only 500 cycle and they have been tested as low as 300 cycles if you run them flat every time.

John.

Yeah I believe you. When I clicked your link to the post earlier it took me to them but on the Amazon UK site. Just don't know why they're not on us site. I'll have to get some of those Tronic batteries to try out. That's a great price. Thanks for the heads up on them. Do you happen to know how many cycles they get?

The packaging on the Tronic Energy Eco AA 2300mah say they are good for up to 1000 cycles.

John.

Well, I'm no Techie but I went ahead and ordered this specific Battery Analyzer Charger Tester. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the extensive review(s)!
    LUX'Ottica

Flashaholic* MidnightDistortions's Avatar

Batteries and Bulbs are selling the C9000 for $29. At least at the local store, online it's more than what it is on Amazon.com.
    LED Lights: ThruNite TN4A, Coast HP7, LEDLenser T7, Fenix E25, Fenix LD41, Maglite 2D, Maglite XL50, Maglite 3D (3rd Gen), AA MiniMaglite Pro+
    Chargers: Maha C9000, La Crosse BC1000, Panasonic BQ-CC17, Eneloop user.

That`s a nice price $29, In the UK they sell for £47 that`s $68 and is a rip off for a 10 year old charger, The c9000 is still a nice charger for NiMh.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightDistortions View Post
    Batteries and Bulbs are selling the C9000 for $29. At least at the local store, online it's more than what it is on Amazon.com.

Hi Henrik

I was reading in the older C9000 threads that the maximum battery capacity had been reduced from 20.000mah to 4.000mah so that if the termination is missed the battery`s don't get overcharged.

If this change has occurred i will not be happy as i want to charge some 5.000mah C battery`s and D cells up to 10.000mah using my D and C cell adaptors.

Thanks

John.

Silver Moderator

Hello John,

I believe all current C9000 units have the 4000 mAh limit. This makes sense for AA cells, and is a little high for AAA cells.

When you go to C and D cells you need to charge in stages.

Note that this limit doesn't apply to discharge but the upper limit for BreakIn is 9900 mAh.

Tom

Hello John,

I believe all current C9000 units have the 4000 mAh limit. This makes sense for AA cells, and is a little high for AAA cells.

When you go to C and D cells you need to charge in stages.

Note that this limit doesn't apply to discharge but the upper limit for BreakIn is 9900 mAh.

Tom
    The Maha website and the downloaded manual says it supports up to 20.000mah

http://www.mahaenergy.com/mh-c9000/

John.

Silver Moderator

Hello John,

You are going to have to test it out. I wasn't aware that they changed back to the original set up.

Tom

Hi.

Can dropping an nimh battery on the floor kill it`s charge, I have a new pack of Fujitsu AAA 900mah LSD, I dropped one on the floor while i was getting them out of the packet, then i put them in my Opus C3100 and did a quick test (resistance) and i got a result of approx 80 for all 4 battery`s

Then i did a discharge at 200ma, one cell only gave 25mah and the other 3 gave between 210-237mah.

Any ideas ??

Thanks

John.
    Last edited by TinderBox (UK); 01-02-2017 at 10:41 AM.

am not sure if it has been studied before.

never mind.

how about a full test in C3100 of all 4 batteries?

Hello John,

You are going to have to test it out. I wasn't aware that they changed back to the original set up.

Tom
    I bought an C9000 and the 4000mah charging limit is still there

John.

Is there no "reverse polarity protection" on this charger as some have reported, I did have an channel die on one of my C9000, It would discharge but not charge, I wonder if this was the cause.

John.

Is there no "reverse polarity protection" on this charger as some have reported, I did have an channel die on one of my C9000, It would discharge but not charge, I wonder if this was the cause.

John.
    I do not know it. On many NiMH chargers the slot is made a way that makes it difficult or impossible to reverses the cells.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    I do not know it. On many NiMH chargers the slot is made a way that makes it difficult or impossible to reverses the cells.
    I saw a photo of an C9000 with burnt contacts the owner said he had pu the battery in backwards

See photo`s from review on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerex-MH-C9...ews/B003DIGKOG

John.

Quote Originally Posted by amazon customer
    I called Maha to find out why the charger did not prevent this from happening. The tech support department told me that there is NO REVERSE POLARITY DETECTION. I was floored. How can a product like a battery charger that can output almost 2 amps NOT have reverse polarity detection?
    John, i would not believe everything what's found posted on the internet, especially not customer reviews, and especially not on amazonDOTcom. I have a C9k too and it works just fine.

And the fact that i canot remember having put in batteries in opposite direction does not necessarily mean that the charger does not have reverse polarity protection. I would not see the sense in that kind of logic.

It is hard to believe that this best of the best NiMH charger does not have reverse polarity protection. Maha is a 100% Taiwan company (sure, with EU and US distributions) and i shot them an email but i never got any response. I resent the email, still no reply.

Since then, i resent them pun intended.

Unenlightened

Question Re: Test/Review of Analyzing Charger Powerex MH-C9000

I own a number of the Powerex MH-C9000 over the years.

I am trying to discover the manufacturing dates of these chargers so to document them (along with the firmware dates) for my own records.

I read on this forum that the production date or manufacturing date of the chargers can be deduced from the 5-digit alphanumeric code on the warranty label on the back of these devices.

I tried my best to search on this forum but cannot find a guide on how to read the code to determine the month (or cycle) and year when a charger was manufactured.

Can someone point me to the right post or thread to get this info?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234