Klarus        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Test/Review of Analyzing Charger Powerex MH-C9000

Default Re: Test/Review of Analyzing Charger Powerex MH-C9000

Quote Originally Posted by L_D_Allan View Post
    ONODA ... is that different from what other owners have? Is it different from the review unit?
    Yes, the review is OMOFA
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

Flashaholic* MidnightDistortions's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L_D_Allan View Post
    • The value seems to be the basis for reporting HIGH as a very strong hint to try to Recover the battery and/or discard.
    • I had some old, abused AA's and AAA's. Their internal resistance would be well over 2.0 v. That value would show up, and then HIGH shown.
    • I was never able to RECOVER any of the batteries for which HIGH was reported. Perhaps someone with more battery experience could?
    • I ended up disposing of all those with HIGH. I've got a lot to learn to get the most out of my battery inventory.

The only way you'll be able to try to recover a battery with HIGH (even though it's probably not possible to fix the High-IR cells, once they go High-IR they can't be helped) is to use a charger that will charge the cells even though the cells have already reached that point. Usually dumb chargers will do and you probably won't be able to use the cells in anything other than clocks, remotes and sometimes flashlights if the High-IR isn't too bad. You could always check how high the IR is by throwing them in the C9000 and checking the voltage. Higher the voltage reading the higher the IR is. Generally it's time to replace the batteries once the C9000 rejects the cells with HIGH, but some people like (me of course lol) to keep the cell and will charge it up in other devices that will charge the cell no matter what.
    LED Lights: ThruNite TN4A, Coast HP7, LEDLenser T7, Fenix E25, Fenix LD41, Maglite 2D, Maglite XL50, Maglite 3D (3rd Gen), AA MiniMaglite Pro+
    Chargers: Maha C9000, La Crosse BC1000, Panasonic BQ-CC17, Eneloop user.

HJK, thanks for this great review. I have a question, at the bottom of your review you mention "
    The charger is very good for analyzing batteries, but for normal charging the batteries might not always be filled".
    This made me think. Even with the 2 hours top off applied by the charger the batteries should reach all the charge that the cells can get right?
    Last edited by marcosg; 07-13-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcosg View Post
    "The charger is very good for analyzing batteries, but for normal charging the batteries might not always be filled".
    This made me think. Even with the 2 hours top off applied by the charger the batteries should reach all the charge that the cells can get right?
    Usual they will be filled, but there is no guarantee.
    Also remember that the top-off charge is applied after the charger reports done, i.e. you might believe that the charger is done and remove the batteries before they are topped off.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    Also remember that the top-off charge is applied after the charger reports done, i.e. you might believe that the charger is done and remove the batteries before they are topped off.
    For how long is the top-off charge applied and when do we know that the max has been reached, that the charger is really done?
    Fenix PD32, 01, 05, UC40 - Sunwayman V11R - Thrunite T10S - Zebralight SC62w, H600Fw - Nitecore SRT6

Quote Originally Posted by Tapis View Post
    For how long is the top-off charge applied and when do we know that the max has been reached, that the charger is really done?
    The top-off charge is two hours and the only way to know it is done is to start a stopwatch when the charger reports done.

What I do with mine is write down what time I started the charge. When the battery is shown as DONE the amount of time it took to charge is included as part of the information displayed; since I know when I started the charge and I know how long it was charging, I simply add 2 hours and take the batteries off more than 2 hours after being shown as done.

For example: Let's say I put my Durcell Ion Core cells in to charge at 2:30pm. At 5 pm I check and they show as done, so I wait for the Maha to display charge time. If the Maha shows 144 minutes then I know that the charger said DONE at 4:45pm and I can take the batteries out two hours after that (so that the two-hour top-off is finished) - so I'll come back after 6:45pm.

It requires me to write down when I started and then to do some math, but I'm OK with that. I hope this helps with any confusion.

For the most part, I just leave the cells in overnight. No timing required, this way. With Eneloops, it's rare that I would need cells right away, anyway.

HKJ,
    Do you remember any early termination on slot #1 using charging mode only at default of 1A while doing your tests?
    all of my C9000's do that.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marcosg View Post
    HKJ,
    Do you remember any early termination on slot #1 using charging mode only at default of 1A while doing your tests?
    all of my C9000's do that.
    No, as you can see on my curves the slots looks fairly equal.

In researching this charger I downloaded the owner's manual and read through it. While there are detailed explanations for the modes, information was lacking for the "cycle" mode.

Why would one use cycle mode?

Thanks.

Silver Moderator

Hello Roadwarrior,

Welcome to CPF.

When cells are stored for an extended period of time they sometimes can perform better if subjected to a number of charge/discharge cycles. The cycle mode allows the charger to do this for you.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    Hello Roadwarrior,

Welcome to CPF.

When cells are stored for an extended period of time they sometimes can perform better if subjected to a number of charge/discharge cycles. The cycle mode allows the charger to do this for you.

Tom
    Got it.

Thanks for feedback and the welcome!

Been taking a hard look at the Maha MH C9000 and as of right now the only thing that has me not officially pulling the trigger is the fact that it dos not fully charge batteries after it displays DONE. Wish it had a DONE 2 another member suggested in another thread or some other option. I truly believe from what I have read and seen (on youtube) that it is a fine charger that is built well and of superior quality.....but I am at a lost of what to do.

Got two other chargers I am looking hard at too.....
    Last edited by roadwarrior; 10-03-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Got it.

Thanks for feedback and the welcome!

Been taking a hard look at the Maha MH C9000 and as of right now the only thing that has me not officially pulling the trigger is the fact that it dos not fully charge batteries after it displays DONE. Wish it had a DONE 2 another member suggested in another thread or some other option. I truly believe from what I have read and seen (on youtube) that it is a fine charger that is built well and of superior quality.....but I am at a lost of what to do.

Got two other chargers I am looking hard at too.....
    The C9000 will charge cells up to 90% and apply a 2 hour top off charge of 100mA, then it trickle charges at 10mA afterwards. The reason the charger does this is to extend the life of LSD NiMH cells such as Eneloops. The cells won't heat up much or at all near the end and you could pull them out and use them right away. You get more cycle life out of Eneloops with the C9000 which is why i primarily use it for all my LSD cells. If you use traditional cells, a charger like the La Crosse BC1000 is a good option, although the break-in functionality of the C9000 can help revitalize those cells better then the BC1000 could.
    LED Lights: ThruNite TN4A, Coast HP7, LEDLenser T7, Fenix E25, Fenix LD41, Maglite 2D, Maglite XL50, Maglite 3D (3rd Gen), AA MiniMaglite Pro+

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightDistortions View Post
    The C9000 will charge cells up to 90% and apply a 2 hour top off charge of 100mA, then it trickle charges at 10mA afterwards. The reason the charger does this is to extend the life of LSD NiMH cells such as Eneloops. The cells won't heat up much or at all near the end and you could pull them out and use them right away. You get more cycle life out of Eneloops with the C9000 which is why i primarily use it for all my LSD cells. If you use traditional cells, a charger like the La Crosse BC1000 is a good option, although the break-in functionality of the C9000 can help revitalize those cells better then the BC1000 could.
    Thanks for the response. I have not had it explained in the manner you just did. Makes sense now. I like the fact the C9000 is set-up that way to prolong LSD cells. I plan on only using Eneloops 2100 cycle batteries in my application. So its good to finally hear the why on that 2 hour top off....

Would be nice if Maha in a future upgrade would account for this well thought out process it has by adding a "DONE 2" display reading after the 2 hour top off so one would know when it is completely done. Either way it is going to be Maha or Opus....starting to lean back towards Maha though.
    Last edited by roadwarrior; 10-03-2015 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Grammer

The C9000 will charge cells up to 90% and apply a 2 hour top off charge of 100mA, then it trickle charges at 10mA afterwards. The reason the charger does this is to extend the life of LSD NiMH cells such as Eneloops.
    I'm learning something here. I thought the Maha MH-C9000 design dated back to before Eneloops, early 2000s or thereabouts.
    Prince plays George Harrison's masterpiece While My Guitar Gently Weeps. R.I.P.
    Great vocals & guitar by LeAnn Rimes & Joss Stone as they cover Gershwin's Summertime.

Silver Moderator

Hello Roadwarrior,

Fortunately the charger displays voltage for each slot. If you invest some time watching a charge you quickly realize that after the main charge the voltage will continue to climb during the top off charge. When the voltage drops back off the top off charge is done.

Tom

Silver Moderator

Hello KeepingItLight,

I believe you are correct. It was rather forward thinking on Maha's part to engineer the charge algorithm this way. I believe they knew that LSD cells would be coming to the market soon and decided to modify the charge algorithm and trickle charge rate to be gentle on those cells.

Tom

Hello Roadwarrior,

Fortunately the charger displays voltage for each slot. If you invest some time watching a charge you quickly realize that after the main charge the voltage will continue to climb during the top off charge. When the voltage drops back off the top off charge is done.

Tom
    Thank you Tom! Getting close to pulling the trigger on it.

Anybody have any experience with Maha customer support?

In my opinion customer support is just as important as product quality.

Good or bad?

Thanks!

Would be nice if Maha in a future upgrade would account for this well thought out process it has by adding a "DONE 2" display reading after the 2 hour top off so one would know when it is completely done.
    It would make sense to have DONE flashing when the 2 hour top off is completed to let you know they are ready.

Hello Roadwarrior,

Tom
    That is very important and seldom mentioned. Thanks. I had no idea.

Just wanted to let MidnightDistortions and everyone else on here know that his statement is spot on.

Prior to getting the above reply from MidnightDistortions, I had e-mailed Maha support and asked why the C9000 will charge batteries to 90%, display "DONE" and then do a 2 hour top off charge, instead of just charging the batteries to 100%.

The support representative's response was this:

"I don't know the exact percentage that the MH-C9000 charges up to but it does this to prevent overcharging of the cell."

Which is right in line with what MidnightDistortions stated.

Many thanks MD!
    Last edited by roadwarrior; 10-05-2015 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Added content

then it terminates on voltage
    Is that voltage 1.47 or 1.48V?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by kreisl View Post
    Is that voltage 1.47 or 1.48V?
    You cannot simulate it on the MC3000, it cannot do the two hour top-off charge, except if you run two programs and accept that the second program stops with an error message and no battery information.

True, not exactly possible. So i am experimenting with the programs and tests anyway, as best as i can do.

I cannot read the voltage from the graph

BREAK-IN: NiMH Slow cycle

Break-in will first charge the battery for 16 hours with 0.1C, then discharge the battery with 0.2C (This will take about 5 hours) and finally charge again with 0.1C for 16 hours. The capacity of the battery is selected from 0.5Ah to 20Ah in 0.1Ah steps. When finished the display will show discharged capacity.
    This method over charges the battery, before measuring capacity, this means it will always get the highest possible value.
    This method is used by IEC for measuring battery capacity.

This is a slow procedure, taking about 39 hours. In this case here I started with a full battery, but it does still get the full 16 hour charge. It can be seen on the temperature curve when the battery is full.
    To which battery voltage (under load) does MH-C9000 discharge during Break_in right before the 60min resting pause?
    IEC demands 1.0V

Which exact voltage did you measure? Hard to tell from the resolved graph:

Can someone let me know what happens when you leave batteries on Discharge? I wanted to run some over night and they will finish sometime during the night. Is it bad to leave batteries on the C9000 for several hours after discharge reports "done"? I assume they continue discharging at the 0.8mA draw that happens on an inserted battery with no action, but I am not sure if this is at all damaging. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaLight2 View Post
    Can someone let me know what happens when you leave batteries on Discharge? I wanted to run some over night and they will finish sometime during the night. Is it bad to leave batteries on the C9000 for several hours after discharge reports "done"? I assume they continue discharging at the 0.8mA draw that happens on an inserted battery with no action, but I am not sure if this is at all damaging. Thanks!
    I think DONE only comes up after charge and then we leave them on the Maha C9000 for 2 hours, which completes the charging process.

After you discharge down a battery to .90v, it should bounce back a bit and leaving it on the charger for a few extra hours shouldn't hurt things. Now, leaving them at .90v for a year, well, you might not want to do that.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

"top-off charge is 100mA, trickle charge is 10mA" .. Does this identically apply no matter which battery is inserted, AA (2500mAh) or AAA (600mAh) ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast