Best HS1 options for scooter?

mboni

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks, been a while since I've lurked here.

I've got a new scooter, a Honda Forza, and am a little disappointed in the headlights. My previous Honda scooter used an H7 bulb, and it was easy to put in a nice Philips Xtreme Vision bulb. The new bike has a pair of 35w/35w HS1 bulbs, and I'm not finding the same selection high quality bulbs in that form factor.

PIAA makes one, but it's got the silly blue tint on it, so I'm skipping that. Is the Philips Vision Moto any good?

Alternately, I can see that candlepower.com has a Narva 45w/45w H4, which seems compatible but won't put too much extra load on the electrical system. I don't have the service manual yet, so I don't know how much extra wattage is available, thus I'm reluctant to risk a full wattage H4 bulb.

Any other good options that I'm missing?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
HS1 is just a reduced-wattage H4 with one of its base tabs extra-wide so it can't be installed in place of an H4. However, the opposite swap should be direct (an H4 should fit right in place). The difference in light output is pretty dramatic; HS1 produces 825/525 lumens on high/low beam, while a standard H4 produces 1650/1000. The question, of course, is whether your scooter's charging system and wiring will handle the extra power of an H4 compared to an HS1. Take a look at the wires and see if they're a reasonable gauge size or if they're tiny and minimal. I think in your shoes I would buy a pair of Philips EcoVision or Osram-Sylvania EcoBright 9003 bulbs. These bulbs have minimized wattage but still meet the output requirements for the H4/HB2 bulb type, and have the tighter filament precision required by HB2 (vs. H4). Then I'd check the voltage drop in the circuit with the lamps operating.

Most of the "Moto" type bulbs are a gimmick, don't buy them. You're smart to avoid PIAA (junk) and any other color-tinted bulb.

The 45/45w bulb you see is not a Narva product and is not of very good quality -- and that bulb might well have its two lower base tabs in different locations than the HS1/H4/HB2.

Last edited:

mboni

Newly Enlightened
Thanks,Scheinwerfermann.

I did some more searching, and it appears that Orsram makes a SilverStar +50% bulb in HS1, that's probably my safest choice if the electrical system can't handle the higher wattage. Not sold in the US, but available on ebay from the UK. But I like your suggestion of the EcoVision or EcoBright bulbs, I'll give that a try.