EDC in the Country

Osz

Newly Enlightened
Ok so I'm helping a buddy of mine find a new EDC but he has some requirements. He has kids so doesn't want to spend over $20 since they tend to 'borrow' and lose stuff. Single AA or AAA. With a sturdy clip and clickly function, doesn't want to twist. Durable and waterproof, he was a Marine so tends to be hard on everything he has. Brighter the better. Probably in the 90+ range depending on the size. I gave him an Energizer Tactical, 85 lumen and loved it but would like something smaller and brighter. I appreciate any recommendations you guys have.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Under $20... might have better luck in the budget sub-forum.

Osz

Newly Enlightened
Under $20... might have better luck in the budget sub-forum.

Yeah I was trying to find that since I have used that sub-forum before but couldn't locate it, the poor mans thread or something along those lines.

ven

Flashaholic
Check out the thrunite t10 ,can get in neutral or cool white and only a couple of $ over budget:)

edit-pic
on the left

Osz

Newly Enlightened
Check out the thrunite t10 ,can get in neutral or cool white and only a couple of $ over budget:)

edit-pic
on the left

Looks like a great buy! Appreciate it!

BloodLust

Enlightened
I saw this go down to $17.99 in Target. Full price at $22.99 is still not bad.
185 lumens (stated) and uses 2x AA with pocket clip. Aluminum.
m.target.com/p/energizer-led-tactical-high-intensity-flashlight-silver/-/A-14779263

I'm picking up a couple of these for mine and the SO's bugout bag.
1x AA. 85 lumens. Aluminum. $15.79.
m.target.com/p/enr-led-tactical-black-fl-1aa/-/A-14779192

Brightguy has the tactical switch Inova X1 dual output for just $19.50.
55 lumens, 1h45m on high.
6 lumens, 40hrs on low.

Last edited:

Osz

Newly Enlightened
I saw this go down to $17.99 in Target. Full price at $22.99 is still not bad.
185 lumens (stated) and uses 2x AA with pocket clip. Aluminum.
m.target.com/p/energizer-led-tactical-high-intensity-flashlight-silver/-/A-14779263

I'm picking up a couple of these for mine and the SO's bugout bag.
1x AA. 85 lumens. Aluminum. $15.79.
m.target.com/p/enr-led-tactical-black-fl-1aa/-/A-14779192

Yeah those little Energizer tactical are pretty nice and feel good in the hand. He probably wouldn't be getting a replacement if his daughter didn't play hide and seek with it in the woods! lol

BloodLust

Enlightened
Added another option. (I added it into my post above.)

The Inova X1 is $19.50 over at brightguy. Not necessarily smaller, but smoother form factor all around. No clip though.

For smaller form factor, I'm mostly familiar with Fenix as such is my EDC (LD10)
The Fenix E12 would be nice if he would up his budget to $27. Might be found cheaper if you look around. I don't think it has a clip though.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Send him to a Wally world or similar plenty in there for a budget price or order something off the net from China but he takes his chances on will it work when it arrives or if it even turns up in the first place but from experience mine always have.:eek:

Last edited:

Osz

Newly Enlightened
Added another option. (I added it into my post above.)

The Inova X1 is $19.50 over at brightguy. Not necessarily smaller, but smoother form factor all around. No clip though.

For smaller form factor, I'm mostly familiar with Fenix as such is my EDC (LD10)
The Fenix E12 would be nice if he would up his budget to $27. Might be found cheaper if you look around. I don't think it has a clip though.

Yeah I have the Fenix E12 and tried to get him to buy it. But no go. I also have the Fenix TK45, love that light!

BloodLust

Enlightened
Osz, how does the Energizer Tactical AA stack up against the Fenix lights?
How did it perform for you? Beam tint, profile, runtime, etc?

Osz

Newly Enlightened
Osz, how does the Energizer Tactical AA stack up against the Fenix lights?
How did it perform for you? Beam tint, profile, runtime, etc?

The Tatical was durable, dropped it, kicked it, never had an issue. Runtime was quite long, i used to use it at work every day and honestly probably only replaced the battery once in a year, maybe twice. But I only used it at work since it was cheaper than my Fenix and got beat up at work. The beam tint was under the quality of E12, just not as outstanding, same with the focus of the center of the beam, was a little out of shape I guess. The click button worked great, also a durable clip as I mentioned before which is nice.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Send him to a Wally world or similar plenty in there for a budget price or order something off the net from China but he takes his chances on will it work when it arrives or if it even turns up in the first place but from experience mine always have.:eek:

That's my advice too. Go with a half-decent light at a store, or order a bunch of different $5 lights from China with free shipping. The China ones are perfect for kids because you don't care if they lose them. Don't use Eneloops in them, because the battery is more expensive than the light! Stick an alkaline in it, and then who cares if it gets lost?

If you order from China, pick a few different brands because you never know how bright they really are until you get them. Their specs on brightness may as well be random numbers.

Save buying the good lights for yourself! :sssh:

Osz

Newly Enlightened
That's my advice too. Go with a half-decent light at a store, or order a bunch of different $5 lights from China with free shipping. The China ones are perfect for kids because you don't care if they lose them. Don't use Eneloops in them, because the battery is more expensive than the light! Stick an alkaline in it, and then who cares if it gets lost?

If you order from China, pick a few different brands because you never know how bright they really are until you get them. Their specs on brightness may as well be random numbers.

Save buying the good lights for yourself! :sssh:

Yeah thats what I ended up doing, got the; Cree 7W 300LM Mini LED One Mode Flashlight, probably only 100LM but for 4 bucks who cares. And damn that bargain section, found the SkyRay 4000LM for $29. got myself that too. haha