What light would you bring to this event?

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would nip down to Wally world and buy something that is 1/2 decent and waterproof or water resistant but reasonably cheap as i would imagine the light is going to take a fair bit of abuse or get nicked so no way would i take anything decent.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I assume that this is taking place in the woods, so I would want a wide angle headlamp to see where I am walking and to avoid tunnel vision. Its easy to have a throw flashlight and take a stick in the eye because you are holding it so it does not illuminate things at eye level, but reaches out 70 yards. I have done it walking in or out while hunting. Its also designed to scare you so taking so much candlepower to illuminate everything may take the fun out. So have some lower levels to keep things interesting and not blind the actors.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my pocket EDC's - Lego'd QPA-X Burst Mode running 1x IMR 14500
- 0.5 moonlight and 5 lm low for 95% of the time to preserve my night vision and not annoy the other patrons
- single-handed momentary max from ON - no fumbling with UIs to mode switch, instantaneous 800 lms for checking that "bump in the dark" which this event seems all about, but as Joe said, careful not to blind the actors...... too much :D
- AA-sized light to stuff in a pocket when captured, bounded, and gagged for torture....and I'd clip it to my boxers while sleeping for this event
- Good campsite show-off light - 800 lumens from a "AA" light can seem just as impressive as 3000 lms from a beer can.

But yeah, definitely take a 3000 lumen powerhouse for some fun back at the campsite :D. Sounds like a lot of fun... Enjoy!

ven

Flashaholic
Looks great fun,love this bit
Items Not Necessary But Recommended:

• Few Changes of Underwear

:laughing:

rfe959

Newly Enlightened
LA Police Gear has a cheap $40 light that'll get the job done.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
looks like fun!! Bring my new Olight ST25, the moonlight mode is great! That and a pack of Energizer lithiums and I am good to go. Never forgetting the other lights, probably bring the trusty Fenix E01 with a new AAA. That and my Raw NS on my keychain, should be enuf

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a headlamp would be ideal.
Might get some envy too ;)
Free hands are a luxury in our hobby.

Illum

Flashaholic
Its also designed to scare you so taking so much candlepower to illuminate everything may take the fun out. So have some lower levels to keep things interesting and not blind the actors.

well said :)
Once I attended a horror night fest in the forest several July's ago where the primary attendees were teens. I went with friends and carried along with my A2 aviator an M6 Guardian [at the time running an WA1185 and 3x17670s]. Sometime into the event I heard branches snapping behind my shoulder some distance opposite of the fun trail. When the sound got too close I lit the M6 in that direction. There was a clown in a ghillie suit that was creeping around making all the snapping noises. He turned around abruptly, ran blindly away and ended up tripping into an irrigation ditch. We had to go and pull him out. They were pretty upset about it, apparently when they suggested to bring "flashlights" no one thought someone would bring a "spotlight."

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been to a few similar events, and actually the light that 'turns night into day' ruins the atmosphere for you and everyone else. You are much better off making the most of the near darkness experience and use a very dim light.

I'm not saying you shouldn't take something a bit brighter for some fun (if you can be bothered to carry the weight), but if there is a 'spooky' event, even something like the TK22 will just take away all the feeling.

Personally I'd take a headlamp with flood beam and nice low settings for general moving about, and the TK22 or TN12 (or both), but use these on low. If you have a compact thrower, this might be fun for 'spotlight' searching in the woods to limit your field of view (I take an Armytek Predator for this).

chaosdsm

Enlightened
I think I would bring a Fenix HL25 dual beam headlamp. I think the independent flood & spot LED's on the Fenix would be a plus, as well as the 4 brightness levels for each LED: 4 Lumens, 45 Lumens, 90 Lumens, & 180 Lumens.

For a hand-held, I'd just pick up a $10-$20 waterproof from Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc...

Sucks that it's only along the West coast :scowl:

leaftye

Newly Enlightened
Overkill, what's that? Okay, subwoofer makes a good point about having too much light. That's a big deal to me too. That's why I prefer control ring lights. That way I can go up or down in modes instead of cycling through higher unwanted retina burning modes.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Personally I wouldn't go to this event. I like sleeping comfortably, undisturbed, and I do NOT like being scared :mecry:

However, if getting scared is part of the objective, then as many others suggested, fewer lumens are better.

I've been to a few similar events, and actually the light that 'turns night into day' ruins the atmosphere for you and everyone else. You are much better off making the most of the near darkness experience and use a very dim light.

I google earthed two of the locations, and they are not in the woods, but one appears to be a large parking lot, and the other a farm/field. The farm MAY have corn stalks during the event. It appears that the tents of the participants will be the biggest obstructions to line of sight.

I don't know which light I would bring. Maybe an old 2D incandescent with half dead batteries that needs to get banged on the side to get it to light, would add to the experience? :candle:

Poppy

Flashaholic
BTW.. I just checked, on July 12, 2014, there will be a full moon, and on the 19th half moon. So depending upon cloud cover, and dark adjusted eyes, depending upon which weekend you go you may not need much flashlight light. Just a thought.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would bring an old incan light. And my Malkoffs MTG2 warm. Keep it on low. I would want to have access to the high level if something happened where more light was needed.

A dim warm long running light would be ideal.
(Malkoffs M61LL warm)

chaosdsm

Enlightened
That's because here the actors will need a blood transfusion by the time the events over. :ohgeez:
Is there mosquitoes in the west coast? Or just ticks?

ROFLMAO though... to be honest... in 15 years of going to Halloween Horror Nights an average of 3 nights each year (yay Frequent Fear cards!!!) I've not been bothered by mosquitoes.... though if an event such as this were held in say the Ocala forest, or along any of the rivers, lakes, or swamps here, it might be a different story, but that's what mosquito repellent is for :thumbsup:

Then all we gotta worry about are gators, water moccasins, bobcats, bears, and locals shooting their guns towards all the rucus :ohgeez:

Sheepdog149

Newly Enlightened
check out McGizmo's waterproof TerraRam XM-L2. It's my backup torch on duty.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
mm15vn. 6500lm and ruin it for everyone !! yahhh!!!!

seriosly as powerful as our lights are. a small edc would do just fine. plus when it blows away peoples lights 5 times bigger, youll have a nice conversation piece.