Good AA flashlight

Mike632

Newly Enlightened
I have several rechargeable SF lights and a MM with Opalec. What is a good 2-AA or 3-AA light that could compete with a SF for light output/ quality (20-25 Lumen)? The emphasis is on quality.

I like the Opalec LED for general lighting, but would like something that has a longer throw for extra EDC that I can use my AA MiMH rechargable batteries in.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Mr Bulk's LGI is built on a Brinkmann 3xAA Legend and is VERY bright (overdriven select LS).

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like you are looking for a Xenon. I LOVE my SL Propolymer 4AA Xenon, wonderful beam quality and would meet your 20-25 lumens range with ease.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Can't say much about two AA...

4AA: UK 4AA AS2 - good useful beam with decent throw (uses proprietary bulb). PT TEC 40 - a bit bigger than UK but not much. Mine has orange peel reflector and a KPR103 3 cell bulb. BRIGHT! WHITE! Throws VERY well! Pelican Stealth Lite 4AA - bigger than the other two by a fair margin. Also uses proprietary bulb. Good throw, a bit tight of beam.

I will say this for two AA. SL Pro Polymer 2AA - momentary tail switch twist head for continous. Lazer tight beam throws far. I Writerighted mine for a little better usefulness. Only other thing close is my Madmax modded Mini. OH, and a hogged out 2AA something or the other with 3 123Liths and a 6 cell M*g bulb... Very expensive to feed! Very bright!

Mike632

Newly Enlightened
Do the E1 lamps fit other SF bezels? I just got an E2E so is it possible to get the UBH and a KL1 and make an interchangable system? KL1 on E2E and E1 LA in the E2E bezel?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about an Arc LSH-P with 2AA tail switch pack??? Top of the line, expensive, 10 year warranty, High dome Luxeon Star, and bright. The throw approaches incandescant in these. Available at:

www.arcflahslight.com

And check out the Arc Flashlight Forum here on CPF. It is on my list of 'must get at least one' lights.

Blikbok

Enlightened
Mike632: The E1 lamp should fit in the E2 bezel. My E2e is on the way, so I'll let you know.

Also, have you considered moving up to the 4 AA market segment? There are a lot of quality lights there. Many hold the cells in two parallel columns, like the Princeton Tec TEC 40, which I find is a nice shape.

I've never seen the PT TEC 20, but it's a 2 AA light with a faceted reflector. $12 at Brightguy.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Roy:
Mr Bulk's LGI is built on a Brinkmann 3xAA Legend and is VERY bright (overdriven select LS).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What Roy said!
icon14.gif
Mr Bulk LGI if and when he offers another run.

"He sells no light before it's time!"

Seriously, the LGI is bright, very white, and nicely built!

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Originally posted by Blikbok:
There are a lot of quality lights there. Many hold the cells in two parallel columns, like the Princeton Tec TEC 40, which I find is a nice shape.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have to agree with Blikbok. I just picked up a Princeton Tec Tec 40 and it is unbelievably bright for a $15 light! I really like it.

Anarchocap

Enlightened
They are all great suggestions. I like the Surge over the Tec 40. Its larger, but the light output is amazing. But for a 2AA I'd have to recommend a MadMax/BadBoy mod or really the Mr. Bulk LGI if you're willing to go with a 3AA package.

I love my Surge and LGI! Can't beat them for the money if you want brightness.

Now when you say emphasis on quality and you mean expensive plus you are talking only about 20 lumens, I'd go with a SureFire KL1/3 head, L1, or an ARC LSH-P. If it must be a 2AA, get the ARC with 2AA TSP.

Illuminated

Enlightened
I'm awfully fond of my Lambda Illuminator from Kevin.

A select LS w/DC-DC step-up converter in the Brinkmann Legend 2AA Package. Not fully regulated, but very constant light output using NiMH's (seems regulated).

I get 1.5 to 2 hours run time continuous, more if used intermittently on 1800mAh NiMH AA's. My EDC (Thanks Kevin!)

Not *quite* as bright as my LGI from Mr. Bulk's last run, but VERY respectable none-the-less, and easier to carry IMO. They each have their purpose in my collection.

If Labmda makes another LI run (or the Ill Pill) using high-ranked LS's, I'll be there if possible.

[Kevin, are you reading this? Hint...hint...]

FWIW - Just my humble opinions.

John

Mike632

Newly Enlightened
I started checking out other lights to include the TEC 40. Yes 4 AA is possible, I did not think of the parallel lights. My greatest interest will be in LED versions. I have had too many LA's burn out at inopportune times.