soon to become a police officer

Pegaso

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys
I am about to become a Swedish police officer and just realized that I need to get me a new flash light.
At this point, during my education, I use a Led Lenser T7. But it has started to go black on me every now and then.

I want a light that I can carry on my duty belt.
Switch on the tail cap.
Needs brightness and decent runtime.
I would prefer if it always goes on in the maximum power mode, since it is always easier to go down if isn't an urgent situation that requires a lot of light, than the opposite.
No need for any SOS or beacon functions. But I guess strobe could be useful.

So far I have found that Klarus XT11 and Nitecore P20 could meet my requirements.
Any thoughts on these, or any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

TheVat26

Enlightened
The XT11 is a fantastic light. Second choice is the XT2C. I use both if these in the field (LEO here) and have found that Klarus' switches have the best feeling rear switch I have ever used. Very light pressure to activate in momentary use, and the most responsive. The light will flash as fast as you can press your thumb. Very important feature in my opinion as we use momentary a lot.

Very good beam profile, but is more suited for urban environments as they won't throw 100 yards very well with ambient lighting. Both are floody, but more than bright enough for a target to cover their eyes. The runtimes on 18650's are exceptional, and will have a long taper as the battery is getting low so you aren't left in the dark.

There are tons of law enforcement light threads here, with even more recommendations. Battery type, size, interface, rechargable, etc. You will find in your career that you will go through different lights, looking for one that does it all, but there is just one thing that one light has that the other does and you wonder why someone doesn't make your perfect light.

I wish Streamlight made a DS Strion HL that went 2 at least hours on high, neutral tint, and a pocket clip as robust as the Malkoff MD series clips to fit securely in our uniform SAP pocket. But for now, I will happily enjoy my XT11, XT2C, and sometimes my Malkoff MD2.

guambred

Newly Enlightened
The XT11 is a fantastic light. Second choice is the XT2C. I use both if these in the field (LEO here) and have found that Klarus' switches have the best feeling rear switch I have ever used. Very light pressure to activate in momentary use, and the most responsive. The light will flash as fast as you can press your thumb. Very important feature in my opinion as we use momentary a lot.

Very good beam profile, but is more suited for urban environments as they won't throw 100 yards very well with ambient lighting. Both are floody, but more than bright enough for a target to cover their eyes. The runtimes on 18650's are exceptional, and will have a long taper as the battery is getting low so you aren't left in the dark.

There are tons of law enforcement light threads here, with even more recommendations. Battery type, size, interface, rechargable, etc. You will find in your career that you will go through different lights, looking for one that does it all, but there is just one thing that one light has that the other does and you wonder why someone doesn't make your perfect light.

I wish Streamlight made a DS Strion HL that went 2 at least hours on high, neutral tint, and a pocket clip as robust as the Malkoff MD series clips to fit securely in our uniform SAP pocket. But for now, I will happily enjoy my XT11, XT2C, and sometimes my Malkoff MD2.

i would add that if you go with the klarus, and opt for the tactical bezel, you will want to find a holster that covers the bezel completely. I learned through experience the tactical bezel will chew through seat cushions in your daily driver and duty vehicle within a week. Not cheap to replace. Not fun to explain either.

Pegaso

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for your input.
The XT2C does look nice too. I will keep that one in mind as well.

Pegaso

Newly Enlightened
i would add that if you go with the klarus, and opt for the tactical bezel, you will want to find a holster that covers the bezel completely. I learned through experience the tactical bezel will chew through seat cushions in your daily driver and duty vehicle within a week. Not cheap to replace. Not fun to explain either.

That is a good thing to keep in mind, seems like it could be expensive.
However, if I decide to go with the XT11 I will go with the standard bezel.

UnderPar

Enlightened
The XT11 and XT2C are excellent choices. Aside from the direct access to maximum ( from memory ), you also have a direct access to strobe on a separate switch, which for me a LEO should always have. Make sure you get the L2 version of any of these 2 lights when you decide to get one. Both lights can be fueled by 18650, 2xCR123A or 2xRCR123 batteries.

Pegaso

Newly Enlightened
The XT11 and XT2C are excellent choices. Aside from the direct access to maximum ( from memory ), you also have a direct access to strobe on a separate switch, which for me a LEO should always have. Make sure you get the L2 version of any of these 2 lights when you decide to get one. Both lights can be fueled by 18650, 2xCR123A or 2xRCR123 batteries.

Yes, direct access to maximum and strobe are two features that I really like.
I have seen that both of them come in the L2 version :thumbsup: