Tritium Ring - Take Two

GaminKWB

Newly Enlightened
Here is the First Draft of my Tritium Ring

I finally got around to updating my design and printing it in in metal. I went with Stainless Steel in a Matte Black finish. I also altered the ring design from 3 Trit vials to 5.

Unfortunately, this was my first attempt printing in metal. I did not properly compensate for variations in printing sizes. The ring arrived looking just awesome, the internals looks correct, but not a single Trit vial would fit into its location. I was forced to use a Dremel and alter the internal grooves. Doing so resulted in some less than perfect marks along the ring.

The Trits are currently held in place with some fingernail top coat. I wanted something I could easily undo (with Acetone) so that I can salvage the Trits when I re-print the design.

Currently there are 5 Green Trit vials in the ring. I have 5 Ice Blue and 4 Red at my disposal.

EDIT: 4 Better photos

Sorry for the low-quality images - phone camera.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Nice. Perhaps you would explain where you got the 3D printing done? Can they do Titanium? How much did the printing cost? If you have a UV light source, maybe you can take pictures that show the tritium more. Way to go!

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

GaminKWB

Newly Enlightened
Very Nice.
Thanks. I've been working on the designs for a while.

Perhaps you would explain where you got the 3D printing done?
The plastic prototypes were printed by Scuplteo.
The metal version was printed by Shapeways. Sculpteo didn't have a metal option that I liked.

Can they do Titanium?
The four 3D printing companies I have been checking out are Sculpteo, Shapeways, Ponoko and i.Materialize. Titanium is an option for some of them, but not all.

How much did the printing cost?
The prototypes were about $10-12 in ABS plastic. Plus shipping.
The metal version was about $16 - Stainless Steel with a Matte Black finish. Plus shipping.
Pricing various drastically by Material, Size and Company. I believe titanium would cost me about $150. Also, material will effect printing/delivery speed.

If you have a UV light source, maybe you can take pictures that show the tritium more. Way to go!
I don't have a true UV source, but I have some actinics that might bring out some more color. Also, using my actual camera will help as well. I just haven't had time while at home.

GaminKWB

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a true UV source, but I have some actinics that might bring out some more color. Also, using my actual camera will help as well. I just haven't had time while at home.

Updated original post with 4 higher-quality images.