new edc backup light recommendations

Flashoholic223

Newly Enlightened
:drool:looking for new backup edc light currently running with olight m22 as primary and preon 2 as secondary looking for either aaa or cr123 light looking into olight s10 baton nifty size and great review, need help deciding on new light FEEL FREE TO SAY WHAT YOU USE AS BACKUP LIGHT TO HELP IN CHOICE!!!!:twothumbs

ven

Flashaholic
D25c ti is a great little light
Far left and far right

Like the UI ,nice feel,nice compact edc size with imo a great holster. Different tint options too......

Edit-forgot to say 123 or 16340 of which i use the latter.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sunwayman c20c, V11R

Eagtac D25c

Love all these lights. My favorite being the C20C. Great size, side click, the smallest 18650 light I've ever handled.

ven

Flashaholic
Sunwayman c20c, V11R

Eagtac D25c

Love all these lights. My favorite being the C20C. Great size, side click, the smallest 18650 light I've ever handled.

Do you have any pics Tony of the lights,especially the c20c next to the d25c for a size comp:)

Cheers ven

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
3epatuqa.jpg

Next to a V11Rvn with extension.

V11Rvn =900lm - 14500
C20Cvn =1300lm - 18650

ven

Flashaholic
:cool:pics ,it is edc size as well,do like that SWM:)

Love that last pic,i think you enjoy them a bit more once they are marked/worn/dinged as not as careful all the time so dont worry when dropped.........(me anyway :laughing: )

rdnesh69

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if I'd consider a 123 light small enough to be a"backup". As for an aaa I'm loving my lighthound aaa. Tiny, inexpensive, huge lumens on 10440...Oh and tiny.. and the twisty is great to throw in a back pocket or wherever. Haven't seen anything non custom putting out over 200 lumens in this size package.

ven

Flashaholic
Tiny!! thats huge,

DQG spy and fairy next to a DQG AAA

To add the spy has been on my truck keys for a while now,no scratches at all,still like new and kicks out a small wall of light which is very useful.
:)

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pictures ven.

What do you mean by backup? Do you want a light that does almost everything your primary light does only smaller? Or do you want a light that will provide some illumination and is much smaller? I'm strange and my EDC is very small (AAA) and I have a bigger light (that has more output, runtime and size) in my bag (laptop case or backpack depending on the day of the week) as a "backup". I also have an DQG Spy on my keychain (backup to the backup?). The Spy has been on my keychain for some time and, as ven noted, looks new.

I like (and that is putting it mildly as ven knows) AAA lights. The new emitters provide great output and reasonable runtime, certainly on a lithium primary or Eneloop and even on a li-ion 10440. Sub-AAA lights offer great output with less runtime, which may be acceptable for a backup.

As usual, there is no standard answer. But there are lots of options and everyone has a favorite that they would like to suggest. What do you want in a backup?

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
Eagletac D25c Ti. Excellent little EDC light! Use 16340 or cr123 battery's. I love mine!

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac D25c Ti. Excellent little EDC light! Use 16340 or cr123 battery's. I love mine!

Totally agree. I hear the aluminum is a little better with heat, but to choose aluminum over titanium is just,,,,,,,,,,,, not right.

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
Totally agree. I hear the aluminum is a little better with heat, but to choose aluminum over titanium is just,,,,,,,,,,,, not right.

Keeping EDC sexy with the Ti. Plus the walls of the D25c are pretty thin. I went with TI for a little added strength.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the hot rod version from Vinh. So mine gets extra toasty.
I like the jetbeam tcr10vn and Tcr2vn for my sexy edc.

Going to have to get a tain, or haiku, sometime, but I just can't seem to click buy.

My Tcr2 was $200 then I sent it to Vinh for a current boost and led swap and dedome, so by the time I was finished I could have almost bought a cheaper micgizmo, but to shell it out all at once hurts.

I can't see how some of these guys spend $2000 on a tiny light, no matter how many trits, or how pretty the Damascus.

But I'm guilty of buying $500 pocket knives come to think of it. (shrug)

50 trits, Timascus edc here I come ;)

TotalDbag

Newly Enlightened
Never had any issues with my s10 (or s15) And my S10 survived a 10 mile car ride while being attached to the suspension coil of my Ford Taurus. (replacing rotors and forgot I put it there)
After I got to my destination and reached for my light I was like "oh s**t!!!!" I was sure it was gone forever, but I went to my car and saw this....

Of course worming my way to get it back was a PITA!!

Last edited: