18650 Tester

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm surprised there isn't a small product that can easily test 18650 (or other Li-Ions) capacity. Simply noticing your battery seems like it's wearing may not be so obvious for light-duty users like myself. Hobby chargers, even a cheap setup, seems like overkill to test capacity. ZTS is nice but doesn't measure capacity.

This sounds like something up Xtar's alley. Just a simple discharge/charge unit that can report capacity. Maybe it's more complex than I make it sound?

leaftye

Newly Enlightened
Opus BT-C3100. There's another smart charger that tests capacity that some of us will be reviewing soon too.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised there isn't a small product that can easily test 18650 (or other Li-Ions) capacity. Simply noticing your battery seems like it's wearing may not be so obvious for light-duty users like myself. Hobby chargers, even a cheap setup, seems like overkill to test capacity. ZTS is nice but doesn't measure capacity.

This sounds like something up Xtar's alley. Just a simple discharge/charge unit that can report capacity. Maybe it's more complex than I make it sound?

there's nothing overkill about a $16 imax b6 clone from hobbyking :)

markr6

Flashaholic
there's nothing overkill about a $16 imax b6 clone from hobbyking :)

Yeah but then a power supply. And a cell holder, magnets, wires, etc. I know we're still talking relatively low cost, but seems like a mess just to measure capacity.

But, not saying I won't consider one. Thanks for the info about the b6 and hobbyking!

HKJ

Flashaholic

Capacity is the best way to test LiIon batteries, but you can also check internal resistance or impedance with a simple meter:
DSC_2210.jpg

For capacity measurements you can use:
Hobby charger
BT-C3100
LiitoKala
CBA
Electronic load
And I expect at least two more analyzing chargers this year.

EPiKvape

Newly Enlightened

HKJ

Flashaholic
Can you point me to a link that gives me step by step direction on how to safely do this?

Nothing more than the link in the above post.
Note: The cell has to be fully charged when checking it.

I'm guessing this meter will spit out numbers that I won't understand.

That is about correct. Basically when the numbers for a cell get larger, it shows the cell is older. This means you can take a pile of cells and sort them according to wear. The number is related to the cell type, i.e. do not expect same values from a Panasonic 3400mAh cells and a Sony 2600mAh high current cell or a 16340 cell.