• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

I still love my LS20.

fyrstormer

Banned
It's been about five years since I bought my LS20, in the last wave of Piston-Drive Gizmos ever to crash on the shore. I don't remember the exact date, but I remember it was in July 2009. I was glued to my laptop, waiting for hours for the wave to be announced, because I was convinced that if I missed it by more than a few minutes, I wouldn't get one. My concerns were only somewhat exaggerated; I think the sale lasted a couple hours before they were all sold.

Four-hundred forty-seven dollars, plus shipping. It was a nearly-inconceivable amount of money to me at that time. When I think back and do a reality check, I remember I had already been paying for a house for at least a year by that time, but I'd never spent such a large chunk of money on something so small before -- the only thing that came close was a mountain bike that I'd paid $537 for in high school, using money I earned from bagging groceries. I suppose it's fair, then, to say my LS20 was my first luxury product.

Nowadays my LS20 doesn't get much use. An infinitely-variable control-ring light serves me better on a daily basis; in fact, I've had the same one for about 3 years now. I suppose it would be accurate to say my most enthusiastic involvement in the hobby spanned from 2009 to 2011 -- nowadays it's well-embedded into the fabric of my being, with the ever-advancing weave at the leading edge having moved on to depict other patterns. A lot of the time nowadays, my collection of flashlights is partially-obscured by a pile of spare RC car parts, waiting for me to get sick of them taking up space and sell them online.

But every now and then I pick up my LS20, and I really look at it like I used to, and I remember. I remember how excited I was when I got the email that I'd managed to buy one. I remember being embarrassed about how much I'd spent on it. (I still haven't told most people how much it really cost.) I remember taking it to work every day, kicking back at my desk between jobs, and just admiring it, twisting the head back and forth and feeling the threads rubbing together.

It looks like a simple light, because it isn't festooned with buttons and pointy bits and whatnot, but it's intricate. The raised ribs that run around the battery tube, to improve grip without the industrial look of knurling. The scallops on the sides of the head to improve grip for twisting. The subtle crenellations on the head bezel so light can peek out, to remind you to shut it off if you set it down head-down, without being sharp enough to tear up your pants. The tiny words etched onto the circuit board, indicating who they were made for and what purpose they serve. The kilroy switch and the shiny little solder beads where the wires connect. The complex reflector with its extra holes for the little floodlights surrounding the spotlight. The tint-matched LEDs. Only a few years later, I can already say "they don't make 'em like they used to", and in all fairness, it's hardly necessary -- but it sure is nice.

I remember when I figured out how I could modify my LS20 to have multiple brightness settings. I remember when I finally figured out how to make my own grease to keep the lipophobic titanium threads from grinding against each other until they felt like sandpaper. I remember when I had the spare time to make these products available to other people, so I could be a contributor instead of just a consumer.

It was a lot of fun. And it all started when I bought my LS20.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great post, fyrstormer!

I EDC'd my LS20 for a long time. Years. Don't know how many off the top of my head. And notwithstanding the daily use and exposure, I would still often be struck by the beauty, elegance, and functionality of the light. I can remember the first night I owned the light, and how the H3 vial in the PD-tail glowed green in the dark when I turned out the lights and went to bed, and how when I first saw it glowing in the dark on my nightstand like this, a thought leapt unbidden to mind; this light was magic, was enchanted, was alive through the intensity of the passions involved--of maker, of community, of buyer--and the intricacy and care and thought that went into her design and build. Great light indeed!

DucS2R

Enlightened
Thanks for the post, great observations that ring true with me and bring back happy memories. I too was lucky enough to get one, I too was amazed at the build quality and design, and that tritium vial greeted me at my bedside for many years. It resides in a safe now, but I break it out periodically to lube it and play with it. I have many other lights I carry EDC, from McGizmo, HDS and others, but the LS20 is probably the only light I have that I could never sell.

Thanks,

T

fyrstormer

Banned
...when I first saw it glowing in the dark on my nightstand like this, a thought leapt unbidden to mind; this light was magic, was enchanted, was alive through the intensity of the passions involved...and the intricacy and care and thought that went into her design and build.
That's an interesting perspective. I've always appreciated well-made things, and for a long time I've understood that things can be increased in value and significance by attention to detail, but I never thought about it quite like you did.

It's funny what thoughts the super-ego can contribute when we stop and listen to it, isn't it?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an interesting perspective. I've always appreciated well-made things, and for a long time I've understood that things can be increased in value and significance by attention to detail, but I never thought about it quite like you did.

It's funny what thoughts the super-ego can contribute when we stop and listen to it, isn't it?

Curious about your choice of attribution! Could you elaborate on why you attribute this thought of mine to the super-ego?

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently acquired an LS20 and have been EDC'ing since it arrived about 2 weeks ago. This is an amazing light and I am enjoying it very much. I also have two other PD lights and really like the piston drive. I think it is one of the best UI's that I have used.

fyrstormer

Banned
Curious about your choice of attribution! Could you elaborate on why you attribute this thought of mine to the super-ego?
According to Freudian psychology, the conscious mind is the Ego, which interacts with the outside world and attempts to placate the instinctive (and often unrealistic) desires of the Id. The Super-Ego's job is to stand apart and observe everything that happens from a third-person perspective, and offer observations that would be impossible if it were responsible for the day-to-day job of staying alive, because that would present the Super-Ego with an impossible conflict of interest. The Super-Ego depends, of course, on the life of the physical body to enable its continued existence, so by necessity it must be "programmed" to ignore its own needs for the sake of benefiting the Ego with its third-person observations. Any part of the Super-Ego that becomes preoccupied with its own survival is essentially subsumed into the Ego, because that detachment from personal survival is all that distinguishes the Super-Ego from the Ego in the first place. They're just two slightly different parts of the same program running on the same hardware, after all -- there's no physical division to keep them separate.

Having said all that, I attributed your statement to the Super-Ego because the Ego is preoccupied with the business of staying alive and healthy, and often doesn't have time to pontificate about things. The character of your statement struck me as the sort of thought that, if I had it, would've popped into my mind fully-formed by surprise, because my Super-Ego would've been constructing it in the background while I was consciously thinking about other things.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Freudian psychology, the conscious mind is the Ego, which interacts with the outside world and attempts to placate the instinctive (and often unrealistic) desires of the Id. The Super-Ego's job is to stand apart and observe everything that happens from a third-person perspective, and offer observations that would be impossible if it were responsible for the day-to-day job of staying alive, because that would present the Super-Ego with an impossible conflict of interest. The Super-Ego depends, of course, on the life of the physical body to enable its continued existence, so by necessity it must be "programmed" to ignore its own needs for the sake of benefiting the Ego with its third-person observations. Any part of the Super-Ego that becomes preoccupied with its own survival is essentially subsumed into the Ego, because that detachment from personal survival is all that distinguishes the Super-Ego from the Ego in the first place. They're just two slightly different parts of the same program running on the same hardware, after all -- there's no physical division to keep them separate.

Having said all that, I attributed your statement to the Super-Ego because the Ego is preoccupied with the business of staying alive and healthy, and often doesn't have time to pontificate about things. The character of your statement struck me as the sort of thought that, if I had it, would've popped into my mind fully-formed by surprise, because my Super-Ego would've been constructing it in the background while I was consciously thinking about other things.

Both my Super-Ego and Ego went to breakfast and agreed that I should get an LS20.

Way to go.

eala

jblackwood

Enlightened
I still have the two I bought from Don from his last wave of lunasols. One on my nightstand and the other is perpetually in my back pocket. I love the bead blasting and etching on the clip I got on one. They're still my two favorite lights after all this time. Is never spent so much on one light before. I've gotten my money's worth, I'd say.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Katdaddy

Enlightened
The first time I saw an LS20 I KNEW that I had to have one. I got mine in February 2009 and it has been in my pocket ever since.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting explanation! I'm no expert on Freudian Psychology (nor do I want to be) and please understand that by offering up here my differing understanding of these terms (id, ego, super-ego) that I do not mean to start an argument or say I am right and you are wrong but only in the spirit of discussion of these matters, which I find very interesting; So . . . all of that said, my understanding of Freuds Structural Model of the psyche is that the id represents our basic drives and desires and instincts and that it acts according to the pleasure principal and seeks instant gratification, etc. The ego acts according to the reality principle and reason (which can be, in actuality, rationalizing), and it understands things like delayed gratification and the consequences of actions. So, for example, the id may want to instantly gratify hunger and grab someone else's food and eat it, but the ego is the part of the psyche that understands that there are consequences for doing this, which include getting punched in the face, getting arrested, getting thrown out of the restaurant, etc.

Now, in the absence of ANY consequences--i.e. where you are SURE that you could obtain the instant gratification that you (i.e. your id) want with no consequences--the ego would not offer any objections, as it is mediating between reality and the desires of the id. If the reality is that there is no reason why the id can't obtain its instant gratification, then the ego wouldn't stop the id. BUT, the SUPER-ego, which represents the part of the psyche which has internalized things like moral codes, cultural rules and mores, etc.--WOULD stop a person from stealing food even if there were absolutely no consequences. In the "real world", of course, one can rarely be absolutely sure that doing something societally wrong will not eventually have consequences, so there is usually some mixture of ego and super-ego in any curtailing of the id.

As an aside, this is exactly what Plato was getting at in the Republic with the Ring of Gyges. In every college discussion of this I experienced (except one) there would always be this pointless argument over whether or not being invisible would really allow one to get away with doing all the various bad things mentioned--but the point of the ring isn't LITERAL invisibility--it is the figurative invisibility from consequences and blame. If you were ENSURED that there would be no consequences, would you still act "morally"?

But I digress.

The point is just that a sort of mystical, enchanting, a-rational thought emanating from the unconscious and archetypal realms of the psyche doesn't seem to me to go together with moral codes and right and wrong and internalized parental figures and modalities. Somewhat the opposite.

But, I like your point about the ego being preoccupied with negotiating reality and not having the time to come up with a thought like this--and the id not being capable of it. And I suppose I am mixing Jung and Freud here. Probably because I very much prefer Jung and rather dislike Freud!

Anyway, just found it curious that you chose the super-ego and wanted to hear about it! Thanks for your explanation!

NEVER should have sold the one I had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah. I so hear that! I recently missed my LS20 so much that I dropped a cool $700 to own one again. I'm looking at my LS20 right now, though, and I'm glad I spent the money! And I very much doubt that I will be stupid enough to sell my LS20 ever again. I suppose if it came down to starving or selling my LS20 that I'd give serious consideration to selling it! LOL! Otherwise, I'm too attached to ever make that mistake again. Plus, I still use my LS20 quite regularly. It's in my EDC rotation along with my Haiku. Great lights, both of them!

Moka

Enlightened
Haven't been around for a while, but worth crawling out from under the rock for an LS20 appreciation thread... =)
Fantastic light, mine still finds it's way back to EDC rotation every few days...