I think my new Fenix E05 stainless steel light needs to go back for an exhange.

busseguy

Enlightened
I just recieved my new Fenix E05 stainless steel today in the mail and put it right on my keyring and have been playing with it ever since.

It was working perfectly and then all of the sudden when I went to turn it on, nothing. Waited a few seconds and tried it again and it worked perfect. Then it did it again :(

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's always a good idea to clean and lube a new light. All the fumes and stuff at factories can leave thin filmy deposits on battery contacts points. It's preferable to use an actual contact cleaner, like Deoxit, but yes, common isopropyl alcohol, the kind that is probably in your medicine cabinet, will work in a pinch.

I don't have this new SS E05, but I'll bet it's similar to most screw down switch type lights.

The trick is to only put a little bit on the Q-tip, and then hold the head of the light with the opening facing down (LED facing up), and then gently clean the positive contact point in the head, not letting any drip down into the head onto any circuits. While you've got the head there, go ahead and gently clean the thin metal contact ring that is around the edge of the head. The ring outside away from the positive contact point. That is where the battery tube completes the negative part of the circuit when you screw the parts together.

Then clean the negative battery contact point at the bottom of battery tube, AND, clean the actual exposed top end of the battery tube, which is the part that makes contact with that thin outside ring in the head when you screw the battery tube and the head together.

One of the reasons we like these kinds of lights (with the screw together switching), is that it really is simple and reliable, and if there is a problem, it's usually a simple fix with a quick and easy cleaning.

Last edited:

busseguy

Enlightened
It's always a good idea to clean and lube a new light. All the fumes and stuff at factories can leave thin filmy deposits on battery contacts points. It's preferable to use an actual contact cleaner, like Deoxit, but yes, common isopropyl alcohol, the kind that is probably in your medicine cabinet, will work in a pinch.

I don't have this new SS E05, but I'll bet it's similar to most screw down switch type lights.

The trick is to only put a little bit on the Q-tip, and then hold the head of the light with the opening facing down (LED facing up), and then gently clean the positive contact point in the head, not letting any drip down into the head onto any circuits. While you've got the head there, go ahead and gently clean the thin metal contact ring that is around the edge of the head. The ring outside away from the positive contact point. That is where the battery tube completes the negative part of the circuit when you screw the parts together.

Then clean the negative battery contact point at the bottom of battery tube, AND, clean the actual exposed top end of the battery tube, which is the part that makes contact with that thin outside ring in the head when you screw the battery tube and the head together.

One of the reasons we like these kinds of lights (with the screw together switching), is that it really is simple and reliable, and if there is a problem, it's usually a simple fix with a quick and easy cleaning.

Thank you for the extremely helpful post. I appreciate it very much :thumbsup:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is also possible that the "pill" which holds the electronics and the LED is not tightened down all of the way. This should be easy to do with some pointy tweezers.

busseguy

Enlightened

Well i just cleaned it late last night and tried it a few times and it worked perfectly. Got up this morning and tried it again and its still working perfectly. Glad to know I won't be needing to send it back :)

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, that's great. Thanks for the update. It can sure be a disappointment to get a light that has issues right out of the box, but I'm glad to hear you've got it working ok now. That SS E05 looks like a killer little light.

I've had my SS LD01 on my keyring for several years. It's been dropped and abused more than I care to think about, and it not only still works great, but it looks EVEN BETTER than the day I got it. There's something about SS in your pocket that keeps it polished the more you use it. Enjoy!

busseguy

Enlightened
Hey, that's great. Thanks for the update. It can sure be a disappointment to get a light that has issues right out of the box, but I'm glad to hear you've got it working ok now. That SS E05 looks like a killer little light.

I've had my SS LD01 on my keyring for several years. It's been dropped and abused more than I care to think about, and it not only still works great, but it looks EVEN BETTER than the day I got it. There's something about SS in your pocket that keeps it polished the more you use it. Enjoy!

Well bad news. I was using the light in the garage for about 4 minutes straight and turned it off for like 5 seconds then tried to turn it on again but nothing. Waited 2 minutes then tried it again and it worked through all the cycles.

Turned it off and tried to turn it on again but nothing.

Its going back for a replacement but I am worried how the replacements beam will be. I hope I don't get one with any green or purple :(

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear all the issues. Nothing more disapointing then deciding what light to get, finally pulling the trigger, waiting...waiting, getting her and she gives some problems! One of the things I always double check is the cell. I am sure that it is making proper contact & the cell is good. Some lights can be finicky with cells.

Keep us posted.

Infinite Zero

Newly Enlightened
Mine had the key ring hole too close to the edge and the hole visibly deformed after hanging on my keys for a two hour drive. I sent it back. I may wait for another batch before trying again.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine faced some issues going to high output on the first day. At first it worked. Then while I was trying to show it off to my girlfriend how beautiful this light is, only low and medium would work. On high it just turned off by itself. I then loosened the head a little and it worked again.

Not sure if it has anything at all to do with the supplied alkaline battery, but ever since I changed it out to an Energizer lithium AAA the problem seized. I have used the EO5 SS for the last few days without any issues. Could it be something to do with the length of the battery?

busseguy

Enlightened
Mine had the key ring hole too close to the edge and the hole visibly deformed after hanging on my keys for a two hour drive. I sent it back. I may wait for another batch before trying again.

Thats exactly like the one I had. The hole was drilled to close to the edge. I'm sure it would never break being stainless steel but I was a little dissapointed seeing that especially when I had a fenix PD20 (I think) in aluminum that broke right thru.

Anyway I am hoping that my replacement has a better hole placement, and I hope this new one won't give me any trouble.

Thanks to the fenix store my replacement is on its way to me :cool:

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SS LD01 just stays on all the time. I can't switch any modes. Any help on how to get the head apart is appreciated. Or any solutions to correct the "staying on" issue appreciated.

busseguy

Enlightened
Now I have an issue with my replacement E05 which was probably my fault. I was using it earlier today and must have forgotten to turn it off, because the head was tightened making the battery ran down.

I waited a little while and tried it again and it came on but much dimmer. I tried swapping the battery with a new one and it wasn't any brighter. All 3 modes were dimmer and I repeated turning it on and off a few times and about the 3rd time it wouldn't come on at all.

Also the head was a little harder to turn now so I'm wondering if it got so hot that the metal expanded making it tighter?.

I already checked to see if the led was loose but it was tight.

What could I have done?. And will fenix replace it under warranty or will I have to pay for repair? :(

kj2

Flashaholic
Go back to your dealer if possible, otherwise if it's still under Fenix warranty you pay shipping and parts if I remember correctly. You don't pay labor. So best is to contact your dealer, assuming you bought it there, or otherwise Fenix directly.