ArmyTek        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best 18650 battery question

Default Re: What battery to use?

Quote Originally Posted by SubLGT View Post
    Here is an interesting read about various Li-ion batteries. I have no idea about the accuracy of the author's assertions:
    They are not all accurate, but I will not specify what is accurate or not (I can only verify/refuse a few of the claims, the rest I do not know enough about).
    My website with battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 1000 reviews of batteries, charges and other stuff.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Default Re: Best 18650 battery question

Makes it tough to choose which 16650. I always leaned toward keeppower over efest.

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    Makes it tough to choose which 16650. I always leaned toward keeppower over efest.
    Keeppower usual uses brand name cells, efest do not always do that.

One of the statements that I wonder about is lifetime. You can easily test a new battery for capacity, but how do you test it for lifetime and how much difference is there in lifetime on batteries produces with the same chemicals?
    My website with battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 1000 reviews of batteries, charges and other stuff.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

My pet peeve is that some batteries are now called imr that are actually hybrid. I buy imr for safer chemistry. It may only be users using the wrong term but I recently saw a 18660 3000mah called "imr" and I checked with the manufacturer and it is hybrid. I haven't seen the actual ads.
    Last edited by recDNA; 08-23-2015 at 05:08 PM.

Flashaholic*

I have used Eagletac 18650 3100 mAh and Eagletac 3400 mAh but I now use Keeppower in both those power ranges; I understand that other brands use the Keeppower made battery. I find the price for Keeppower to be an advantage. My battery knowledge needs improvement, but I feel satisfied with my current choice.

Plain NCR18650GA or LG 18650MJ1 both around $9/ea at Mtn Electronics. Take you pick I guess, until HKJ tests both and tells me otherwise. For now, I bet they are very similar.
    GOOD TINT!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Plain NCR18650GA or LG 18650MJ1 both around $9/ea at Mtn Electronics. Take you pick I guess, until HKJ tests both and tells me otherwise. For now, I bet they are very similar.

I bought today six 18650 KeepPower 3400mAh Panasonic NCR18650B Protected Button Top for $10.99 each at Illumn Supply in Jan Jose, CA USA.

Quote Originally Posted by sidecross View Post
    I bought today six 18650 KeepPower 3400mAh Panasonic NCR18650B Protected Button Top for $10.99 each at Illumn Supply in Jan Jose, CA USA.
    I like the Keeppower too the IMR 3200 and 3500 are some of the best. I just stopped buying them since they're now only using one exclusive supplier going forward (I'm guessing Illumn), and they only seem to be protected cells, which I don't buy. Hell of a deal though.
    GOOD TINT!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I like the Keeppower too the IMR 3200 and 3500 are some of the best. I just stopped buying them since they're now only using one exclusive supplier going forward (I'm guessing Illumn), and they only seem to be protected cells, which I don't buy. Hell of a deal though.

My first Keeppower 18650's were 3200 mAh that were bought from a Asian supplier on E-Bay about 3-5 years ago on the advise and report by HKJ on this forum. You are quite right about Keeppower moving to more convetional marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by sidecross View Post
    My first Keeppower 18650's were 3200 mAh that were bought from a Asian supplier on E-Bay about 3-5 years ago on the advise and report by HKJ on this forum. You are quite right about Keeppower moving to more convetional marketing.
    I'm running 3 of those 3200s in my MX25L3C Nichia. Nice setup!
    GOOD TINT!

Flashaholic

Any recommendation where to order from for Canadian's? My last Li-Ion 18650 order took 3 months from Fasttech!!! Absurd turn around and I would like options much faster. Price of course is an issue so I don't want to pay 3x $. Target size of 18650 is about 3000 mAH or higher. I might try some small AAA equiv cells for a penlight which not longer fires with the Eneloop voltage but does with >2.0VDC. odd but something changed in that circuit.
    Last edited by tripplec; 08-27-2015 at 06:54 AM.

Myself have some from GB, flat rate shipping, 3-5 weeks.
    Best I can get them to myself in Edmonton.

Edit unless I want to pay a Canadian dealer $25 a pop.
    No offence but pass thanks.

Flashaholic

GB eh, via which store. Yeah local Canadian source milk us for these cells. I haven't order any from any eBay source due to may crappy cells.

Quote Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
    GB eh, via which store. Yeah local Canadian source milk us for these cells. I haven't order any from any eBay source due to may crappy cells.
    I have yet to get any from ebay. IF I had to go there for some reason, I might try seller "genuinecells". Approaching 9500 reviews with a 99.8% positive rating.
    GOOD TINT!

Flashaholic

Can I trust the Keeppower cells to be genuine from Chinese online stores (gear best, bang good, etc?)

I'm using Keeppower and very satisfied. I have both protected 18650 3500mAh and unprotected IMR18650 3200mAh.

Also, I buy from "genuinecells" at auction with great results.

I've been using mainly AW protected 18650 for the past few years and have been happy with their performance, but not their prices. But they are getting harder to find nowadays or seem almost out of stock at my local flashlight shop.
    Recently purchased some unprotected Keeppower IMR18650 3200mAh from Gearbest and hopefully will receive the real deal.

Flashaholic

Only 4 items in their store!!! LOL chargers mostly a few batteries with chargers. Double LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
    Only 4 items in their store!!! LOL chargers mostly a few batteries with chargers. Double LOL
    Does AW have a store or is this a reseller?
    GOOD TINT!

He gave me a link to a vaper, hard to find info, gave up.
    My search-fu failed an I did not pursue further.

So GearBest is where I'm getting now, can get cheapies at princess auto, but yeah, low cap and huge lengths.

In my 1x18650 flashlights I use most of the time Panasonic NCR18650B 3400 mAh (protected) and Efest IMR purple button top 3100 mAh.
    As from my observations, Panasonic don't have a better marginal capacity. Efest can handle a lot better 2,5-3 Amp discharge (when I run on full power single 18650 XM-L flashlights) , it has a higher voltage to high currents, and is half a price of Panasonic.

The only thing which remain to see (beside the fact that Panasonic is protected), is the lifetime in next 1...2...3 years. After 1 year I must give a big plus to Efest IMR 3100 mAh, a very good cell for the price I paid.

PS: also I run my Acebeam K60 with Efest purple IMR 3100 mAh, good runtime, constant power till end.

Default Re: What's the "best buy" in 18650s these days?

Ven,

Can I ask where you got those cells from ? I have just ordered the same torch but I am struggling to find good places to order some 18650s from in the UK. I also note that you have non-button type batteries and I was about to order some with the buttons as the documentation that I have seen says it needs protection based button 18650 cells.

Is the documentation I have been shown incorrect ?

Thanks

Dan

Default Re: What battery to use?

I'm not an expert on anything, I strive to be an informed consumer with matters like this, and CPF is invaluable for helping me strike good valence between cost and quality.
    What I'm always looking for is fair value for cost.
    I'd love to know of a battery that was as high spec as say an Orbtronic 18650 protected 34 00 mA for 8$ instead of 15$; but for me, knowing that it was a solid value, if not the optimal value that someone with more expertise could find, and knowing that I only needed four and would likely care for and use them for several years before upgrading, it was worth it to me to blow 60$ on 4 quality, protected, high cap batteries that I had faith in.
    Fair price and good value is all I ask.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Default Re: What's the "best buy" in 18650s these days?

Quote Originally Posted by dan221081 View Post
    Ven,

Can I ask where you got those cells from ? I have just ordered the same torch but I am struggling to find good places to order some 18650s from in the UK. I also note that you have non-button type batteries and I was about to order some with the buttons as the documentation that I have seen says it needs protection based button 18650 cells.

Is the documentation I have been shown incorrect ?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan, in the uk I use Ecolux shop on eBay .

After a lot of research i decided to go with LG MJ1's. Im happy with my purchase

Anyone have some opinions on these? thinking of buying...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-4...999.261.oGBQZi

Silver Moderator

Hello GShocked,

I would suggest you avoid those cells.

Tom
    Behind every Great man there's always a woman rolling her eyes...

Most batteries don't die - they are tortured to near death, then murdered...

Quote Originally Posted by GShocked View Post
    Avoid them like a plague!

Anything rated higher than 3400-3600mAh is suspect and should be avoided.

Flashaholic

Arrow Re: Best 18650 battery question

Quote Originally Posted by GShocked View Post
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-4...999.261.oGBQZi
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox View Post
    Hello GShocked,
    I would suggest you avoid those cells.
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by akhyar View Post
    Avoid them like a plague!
    Amen... don't waste your money on this junk GShocked.... it would be a mistake all the way around.
    Spend your money on something decent.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast