Seeking 1xAA recommendations.....must be less than fifty dollars and have LOW mode.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've posted here at CPF. I have been researching trying to find a new "no frills" 1XAA for EDC. After much thought (and past experience) I know I do not need all the extras i.e. (Strobe, SOS, confusing multi modes, etc.) Here is what is my most important needs/wants : 1XAA, (prefer) rear clicky and very important.....LOW LOW mode. I really need a BUDGET (cost effective-best bang for the buck) model. I was checking out the FENIX E12 and it was looking good but....I know I would miss "momentary" on. I also want/need LOWER < 8 Lumens mode. I suspect this fact (fo really LOW Lumens) will be my biggest obstacle to overcome in finding a BUDGET (under fifty dollars) Flashlight. Other than that.....two or three normal modes are fine. Of course I want the best quality/reliable light I can buy for the money. I am open to ALL suggestions/recommendations. Thank you in advance for any help you may offer.

Regards,
SixCats!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight ProTac EMS. It has 3.7/10/50 for modes, starting in low all the time. Current price is around $38 USD. I've EDCed one for several years with no problems. I would recommend NiMH if you are set up for it, otherwise lithium primaries.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice to see you back posting, SixCats!

Here's a good one for you to check out:
L3 Illumination L10C, available with either an XPG-2 (cool white), or the wonderful Nichia 219B (Hi CRI) LED. It's also available as a non-clicky (L10). You can find it at SBFlashlights.

The only issue you might have is that it always comes on in the moonlight mode, so always 3 clicks to get to high.

cliwilnew

Newly Enlightened
I have just purchased both the L10C and the Eagletac D25A Clicky, both with Nichia 219 emitters. Both are nice lights with nice tints. The L10C moonlight is seriously low and maybe a bit too low. I think the ET's moonlight mode of 0.5 is probably more useful. However, the L10C is just over $30 and the ET is about $50. I also like that the UI of the Eagletac allows you to boost the moonlight mode if needed. Again, both are quite nice lights and fulfill a very similar role.

Edited to add:
Oops, I overlooked the fact that you want momentary on. Both the Eagletac D25A Clicky and the L10C are reverse clickies, so no momentary. If the Streamlight ProTac EMS recommended above has momentary, that may be a good choice.

Last edited:

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

Thank you all for the responses thus far. Lots of good suggestions and I will check out EACH and EVERY Flashlight recommended. Hey Derek D., nice to hear from you my friend. Thank you for the warm welcome back. I've been collecting KNIVES (Axes and Hatchets) over the last couple of years. Time to "switch it up" again.....I really need some more Flashlights. I first plan on an EDC 1XAA and later some 1XAAA's. Money is "tight" so.....I have to be a smart shopper.

Regards,
SixCats!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just purchased both the L10C and the Eagletac D25A Clicky, both with Nichia 219 emitters. Both are nice lights with nice tints. The L10C moonlight is seriously low and maybe a bit too low. I think the ET's moonlight mode of 0.5 is probably more useful. However, the L10C is just over $30 and the ET is about $50. I also like that the UI of the Eagletac allows you to boost the moonlight mode if needed. Again, both are quite nice lights and fulfill a very similar role.

Edited to add:
Oops, I overlooked the fact that you want momentary on. Both the Eagletac D25A Clicky and the L10C are reverse clickies, so no momentary. If the Streamlight ProTac EMS recommended above has momentary, that may be a good choice.

lol we don't care, just keep on posting reverse clickies.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

I've spent the last hour or more checking out all suggested lights. All have strong points. I must say.....I'm kind of liking the T10 Thrunite.
Of course, I'm going to take my time and continue (with all your help) researching other models.

SixCats!

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops, I overlooked the fact that you want momentary on. Both the Eagletac D25A Clicky and the L10C are reverse clickies, so no momentary.
Dogone it, I missed that. It's always something :).

Ok how about the Thrunite Archer1A. It's kind of big, but you didn't specify size, and I do believe it fits all the other criteria.

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi DD,

Yea....I thought you were just giving me a hard time lol (only kidding). Still.....nice Twisty and something to consider. I will check out the Archer 1A. Thanks.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xtar WK50, available from Xtar Direct, meets all your criteria. Available in three colors, $22.50, three lumen moonlight mode.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeking 1xAA recommendations.....must be less than fifty dollars and have LOW...

I sort of collect in the 1AA/sub-/low-lumen niche... here my votes - by quantity clicky

stevieo

Newly Enlightened
Re: Seeking 1xAA recommendations.....must be less than fifty dollars and have LOW...

L10C 4-mode is my most useful AA clicky.

Last edited:

SixCats!

Enlightened
Re: Seeking 1xAA recommendations.....must be less than fifty dollars and have LOW...

Hello reppans! Nice to hear from you. Wow......very impressive collection of 1AA's you own. Do you have a current favorite ?

Regards,
SixCats!

tomrtrd

Newly Enlightened

I have a browning alpha max,i don't really read about it a lot but its my edc,never leave home without it.i also have a couple of fenix but this is the one that goes with me every day. the battery last for ever and I use it all day long.

SixCats!

Enlightened

Hi all,

Firstly, let me again say a big THANK YOU for all those who responded to my post. I have checked/research EACH suggestion. At this point.....I'd have to say.....for my needs.....it's looking like the THRUNITE ARCHER 1A may be my best bet.....ESPECIALLY considering it's excellent price point. The ARCHER 1A sure appears to offer a lot of performance for it's price.
That being said.....might anyone suggest something other than the ARCHER 1A (before I pull the trigger) ? Thanks.

Regards,
SixCats!

Latest posts