Problem with TK75 (batteries?)

Jeffg330

Newly Enlightened
I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place. I have a brand new Fenix TK75 that will only run on turbo for about 10 seconds until it powers down to high. I'm running it with 4 nitecore NL189 3400mAh protected rechargeable batteries. These batteries were purchased new and put right into the light without any topping off.

I am currently charging the batteries to see if they were sent with a low charge and possibly causing the problem. I have two questions.

1. Could low batteries cause this to happen?

2. Is there a "standard" charge for sending new batteries?

Thank you for any input from a newbie

ven

Flashaholic
Hi there,the cells will be around 3.6v or 3.7v out of the box so require charging to 4.2v . As they are around 40% charged it will drop out of turbo to high .
They ship at 3.6v as that is the best storage voltage .So stick them on charge,try again and enjoy the awesome tk75:)
:welcome:

Jeffg330

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the response. I'll try again after charge is complete. I see a battery tester purchase in the very near future....like today :)

ven

Flashaholic
No problemo,yes it makes good sense to have a MM at hand,keep an eye on the cells/charger. More so off the charger after 10 -20 mins rest to get an idea all is well and the charger is not over charging along with the cells holding charge:). No need to do it daily,just get an idea then monitor every so often:)

Presuming its the 2900lm version you should get 15 mins before step down,if light is not too hot ,you can step back up to turbo etc. You may get 3 or so step ups before loosing turbo,then high is as much as it will hold. Then at next available chance top off cells again ready for next use . You will soon get an idea of when to recharge..........

Jeffg330

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the good advice. It's functioning perfectly now. What a great light!

ven

Flashaholic
Great stuff:thumbsup: it certainly is,it just does everything so well. Certainly in my top few fav lights for flood /throw/UI/value for money . Enjoy :)