Review: New SureFire Y300 Ultra - beamshots, discussion, photos

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPS came through and a review sample of the new SureFire Y300 arrived today. I literally just took it out of the box and haven't started reviewing it yet but thought I would share a few photos of this new light. I will update this post with additional information as the review progresses but others should feel free to join in with their impressions!

EDIT (7/18/2014): I have completed my Y300 Ultra review and updated the information below!

It's not completely original, as it is based on the X300 WeaponLight, but it's certainly interesting when converted to a handheld light.

DSCF0872.jpg

The body is machined aluminum finished with a matte black hard-anodized finish. The magnetic cover and parts of the battery compartment door are constructed of some sort of tough polymer. The bezel is the same size as recent SureFire E-series lights and is compatible with the F04-A, F05-A and F06-A diffuser/filters.

DSCF0877.jpg

The switch at the rear has two toggles, one on each side, that produce momentary output with a light press (toward the front of the light) and constant-on output by pressing the toggle up or down. The opposing toggles are connected in such a way that moving one moves the other in the opposite direction. Operation is the same no matter which way the toggles are moved producing predictable results regardless of how the light is held.

Y300-Switching.jpg

The Y300 Ultra always turns on in high mode first with low mode accessed by turning off and back on again within 2 seconds. The switch allows moving between momentary and constant-on output without changing output modes. There is no way to "lock out" the Y300 Ultra to prevent accidental activation.

The battery compartment cover is hinged so that it swings toward the top of the light exposing the batteries. Springs are provided at both ends to protect from shock or impacts. The magnet actually holds the batteries in place such that a hard shake is needed to get them out. When installing a new batteries the magnet will grab the first one and pull it to the center of the compartment, possibly making it difficult to install the second. To avoid this problem, it's best to slip them both in together at the same time.

DSCF1109.jpg

Magnets on the light body as well as the clip make for much stronger retention than I expected and actually help align the light with the clip so that it (sort of) latches into place. The clip has 4 raised tabs that engage with the light body to ensure it is properly aligned and help avoid it twisting while on the clip. The light can be carried bezel down or horizontally.

The magnets are so strong that when you go to place the light on the clip, it's like an invisible hand guides it into place. In fact, you can lay the Y300 Ultra on a table and if you wave the clip within 1.5" inches, it will jump to the clip and snap into place. After wearing it like this for a few days I can say there is no way it will just fall off due to activity or exertion (at least for normal humans).

DSCF0893.jpg

The "permanent" 2-way clip can be installed by removing the four screws that hold the magnet cover in place, slipping the clip around the cover, and then re-installing the four screws.

DSCF0896.jpg

The clip is similar to the 2-way clips on the E-series lights but is much beefier and stronger. It really grabs tightly and was a little difficult to attach to a pocket, although I'm sure it would loosen up a little over time. However, when pocket carrying the Y300 bezel-down I had real problems with accidentally activating the light in momentary mode. I had a couple of meetings that day and ended up with a hot pocket more than once! After that, I tried the magnetic clip and haven't gone back.

Regardless of configuration, the Y300 is very compact, shorter than even the E1B Backup.

DSCF0908.jpg

Beamshots

I first said the beam was about as expected when compared to the E2DL Ultra and EB2. I guess it kind of looked that way at the time (in broad daylight) but I was pretty much wrong. The beam from the Y300 Ultra has a slightly broader and creamy white hotspot/corona when compared to the EB2/E2DL. In fact, the overall beam profile is much like the new E1D LED Defender, only brighter. How could that be? Well, the Y300 definitely has a different emitter than the EB2/E2DL and it's probably the same as what is in the E1D (XP-G2?).

The Y300 won't reach quite as far as the EB2/E2DL but still throws a good distance. The broader hotspot and slight increase in spill will be advantage for some and not for others. However, I think everyone would agree the Y300 has a more pleasing tint (if that type of thing matters to you). The following photos were taken at a distance of 100 yards from the building and show (in order) the E1DL, Y300 Ultra, E2D LED Defender Ultra and EB2 . . .

20140718113654-4429fe3f-sm.jpg

20140718113711-1c06519e-sm.jpg

20140718113655-9c42b97d-sm.jpg

20140718113700-76b62889-sm.jpg

Beamshots from 30 yards and side-by-side comparisons with a few other lights are in the full review.

Runtime/Output

The Owner's Manual shows the runtime as being 2.25 hours on high (500 lumens) and 45 hours on low (15 lumens). These values are different, than what is shown on the SureFire website.

I tested the Y300 Ultra High Mode using Battery Station 123A primaries and K2 Energy LFP123 rechargeable cells . . . the 100% value on the chart is the Y300's output after 30 seconds of operation.

SureFire-Y300-Ultra-Runtime.jpg

After an initial burst, output drops rapidly over the first 20-30 seconds before it falls into more stable regulation. From that point on, output remains very steady until beginning to taper as the batteries become depleted.

Conclusions

The Y300 Ultra works surprisingly well as a handheld light. It's easy to hold and doesn't get lost in my hand like a lot of short lights would. The switch is easy to operate in an overhand grip and, aside from the incidents with the hot pockets, I had no major issues with the light. When rapidly "strobing" with the momentary switch function, mode changing was a little unpredictable but when used normally it worked fine. The magnetic mounting capability is surprisingly effective and provides some nice mounting options. The included clip works well for belt carry and I believe it would be perfect for mounting on a pack strap or tactical vest.

On another note, SureFire specifically states the light is not intended for weapon mounting. I guess that means I wasn't supposed to do this . . . :shrug:

20140718180101-27289d07-me.jpg

I do wish there was some sort of lock out capability as the momentary mode was really easy for me to activate when pocket carrying in the bezel down position (no problems with bezel up). Also, it would be nice if the magnetic belt clip was reversible. As it is now, the light can be carried horizontally facing forward on the left side of the body or facing rearward on the right side of the body. Each has their advantages but if the user wants a certain orientation they have no choice with regard to which side of the body they carry the light on.
I'm sure I left a few things out but I've written enough for one day. More info and a ton of photos are in the review linked above. :wave:

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New SureFire Y300 - Discussion and photos

Although I am not really a big fan of the magnet, I am kind of tempted to get one. Think it looks real cool.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New SureFire Y300 Ultra - Discussion and photos

Very interested to hear how it feels in the hand; how it activates (User interface). Is it clear how the batteries must be placed in polarity? How easy is it to change batteries?

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very interested to hear how it feels in the hand; how it activates (User interface). Is it clear how the batteries must be placed in polarity? How easy is it to change batteries? . . .

Well it feels, ummmmm, different! It's obviously not the same as a conventional round-bodied light so I'm still experimenting a little bit with my grip. I will be carrying it today so I should have a better "feel" for it later.

The body of the light and the inside of the cover have the polarity prominently marked. Also, for me at least, the light will always be oriented the same way when changing batteries so it's fairly easy to remember which way they go. The magnet causes a bit of a twist as it will attract the first battery that is inserted and tend to pull it toward the middle of the compartment. It's easy enough to push it aside when inserting the second battery but I think it's easiest to drop them both in at the same time.

It takes a good shake to get the old batteries out of the light as the magnet holds them pretty securely in place, even if the compartment is opened. All things considered, this wouldn't be the easiest light to do a "tactical" reload with while in the dark, although I'm sure it gets easier with practice.

S1LVA

Enlightened

I am real curious about the belt clip/magnet setup. Hopefully UPS pulls through today, I was supposed to have my Y300 yesterday :(

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can do it that way or you can double press the momentary to select low and then push the toggle into constant-on.

I see. I'm trying to visualize how one would get it to stay on low with one hand.

Looking forward to your beamshots, if it is the same as the E2DL Ultra I might need to get one, the shortness will be a huge change from every 2 cell light I've had up to this point. Is the magnet permanent fixed? seems to add a bit of bulkiness to the light but it might just be the large images fooling my eyes.

Last edited:

S1LVA

Enlightened

I see. I'm trying to visualize how one would get it to stay on low with one hand.

Mine came in today. My initial impression is that it is extremely easy to operate with one hand. I also thought that activating the constant-on with one hand would be hard. I will be playing with my new Y300 all night!

Andrew

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Review is up! The original post has been updated with some new information or you can go here.

. . . Looking forward to your beamshots, if it is the same as the E2DL Ultra I might need to get one . . .

It's similar but not the same, really more like an E1DL on steroids. I added a few beamshot photos to the first post.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another awesome write up with awesome photos! Thanks!

Just a quick question. I may have missed it when running through your review. What is the reset timing to go back to high output again after switching it off from high output? Is it two seconds or one? In my E2DLU it is two seconds and irritably long. On the E1DL it is a much sweeter one second.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another awesome write up with awesome photos! Thanks!

Just a quick question. I may have missed it when running through your review. What is the reset timing to go back to high output again after switching it off from high output? Is it two seconds or one? In my E2DLU it is two seconds and irritably long. On the E1DL it is a much sweeter one second.

It's one second, or close to it. Definitely not 2 seconds :twothumbs

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great Review! the beam shots though convinced me that i don't really need this one as the tint is too cool for me. Design wise I would like to own one just to play around. It would have been nice to see it compared to the E2D Ultra, not since you have the EB2 some comparison could probably be derived. I'm really liking the E1D, but in some ways the tailcap modded original E1B is a better EDC since the high on the E1D is often too much for an EDC light. With only two modes and such a high output the interface limits recent Surefire releases.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's one second, or close to it. Definitely not 2 seconds :twothumbs
Thanks! This light is starting to grow on me. The only reason why I am not getting it yet is because I have yet to fully enjoy using my E1DL. Lol!

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

. . . It would have been nice to see it compared to the E2D Ultra, not since you have the EB2 some comparison could probably be derived. . .

No need to derive. I have added the E2D Ultra to the beamshot lineup in the original post. I didn't include it originally as it's essentially the same as the EB2 (at least at 100 yards).

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dammit 880!

Now I have to get one for my Fasthawk (tomahawk)!

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

880arm, thanks for the great review!

Two questions for you:

1. When using the magnetic clip, would it be difficult to "draw" the light if clipped IWB on one's waistband or belt?

2. In regard to the runtime graph and the quick drop in output during the first 30 seconds, if you run the light for, let's say, 5 minutes continuously, and you then turn it off and let it cool down for a few minutes, does it return to around the 150% mark on your graph when you turn it back on? Basically, if you only use high mode in short bursts (15-30 seconds), will you get full brightness (the 150% output on your graph) through most of the battery life for those bursts?

Thanks,
Robert

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dammit 880!

Now I have to get one for my Fasthawk (tomahawk)!

Sorry! It looks good on there but I'm not too sure how well it would stay on during chopping or throwing activities! :laughing:

880arm, thanks for the great review!

Two questions for you:

1. When using the magnetic clip, would it be difficult to "draw" the light if clipped IWB on one's waistband or belt?

2. In regard to the runtime graph and the quick drop in output during the first 30 seconds, if you run the light for, let's say, 5 minutes continuously, and you then turn it off and let it cool down for a few minutes, does it return to around the 150% mark on your graph when you turn it back on? Basically, if you only use high mode in short bursts (15-30 seconds), will you get full brightness (the 150% output on your graph) through most of the battery life for those bursts?

Thanks,
Robert

Thank you sir. To answer your questions . . .

1. If you're talking about having the light itself IWB then it would be impossible to draw as it will not come off the magnetic clip with a straight vertical pull. In this photo, take a look at the magnetic cover on the top of the light. Near the back of it you will see a small gap, or slot, between the cover and the hinge mechanism for the battery compartment cover.

Now take a look at the clip in the foreground with the four nubs sticking up. When the light is placed onto the clip, two of the nubs will engage with that slot while the other two will rest alongside the magnetic cover. When the light is carried bezel-down, the two nubs nearest the camera will be in the slot, when carried horizontally, it will be the two farthest from the camera.

DSCF1143.jpg

This photo shows the light mated to the clip for bezel-down carry. Here you can plainly see two of the nubs alongside the magnetic cover providing some stability. What's harder to see (you may just have to use your imagination) is the other two which are inserted into the slot I mentioned earlier.

DSCF0892.jpg

To get the light off the clip you have to a) pull straight out on the body of the light (difficult due to the magnets) or b) pull outward (away from the clip) on the bezel thus gaining some leverage to help break the magnetic "seal".

Hope this makes sense. I apologize if I misunderstood your question. Let me know and I will try again :ohgeez:

2) It would work something like that. The peak would decline over time as the batteries are depleted so it may be 148%, 145%, 140%, etc.