Olight SR Mini or Dual Fenix BC30

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Looking for a bright option for bike that is floody, what do you think is the better option?

Olight SR Mini x 1 or dual Fenix BC30?

The trouble with the Olight is getting a good mounting option.

trailblazer295

Newly Enlightened
I'm still waiting for a review on the BC30. Hopefully some real world tests will help answer your question. A guy on a mountain bike forum is supposed to be getting sent one for a review soon.

tonkem

Enlightened
Lupine has some great lights for biking. I use a Wilma TL and Betty TLs, but they don't make them anymore. But you can still get the Piko TL Max at 1200 lumens, with a bike mount as well. Awesome, and very small light. US dealer is Gretna bikes in PA. Betty TL2S is now 4500 lumens and the head is a bit larger than the older Betty TLs, and also these lights are not inexpensive. The Piko is around $400 US and the Betty TL2 is about $800 US.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
spankone, I'm looking forward to your review. I'm looking to upgrade my bicycle light from my old Fenix L2D, and so far this looks like one of best contenders, along with the Busch & Mueller Ixon Core. I'm especially interested in an even beam from the front of the bike out to a distance, and with a good and firm horizontal cutoff, so as not to blind on-coming traffic, cars or pedestrian.

spankone

Enlightened
Plus I'll be review the lezyne mega drive, MTS folks light, yinding, magicshine and more.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also curious if anybody knows whether the two 18650 batteries in the BC30 are run in series, or parallel?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. Maybe it's me, but I'm a bit wary of multiple lithium-ion battery setups that do it in series. Still, I'm quite interested in this light.

The other light I'm currently considering is the B&M Ixon IQ Premium. Love that shaped beam.

Last edited:

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
^ Should be no issue with protected cells of high quality, just make sure you use new matched cells and label them and always use them in a pair. Check with DMM before and after every charge cycle. Ill upload my thoughts when my BC30Vn arrives.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
CyclingSalmon14, the thing is, I don't really want to have to think about all those things. It seems to me that it would have been such a simple thing. You have two batteries, and you have two LEDs. Why not have one battery run each LED, in parallel, similar to the ZL S6330? That way you wouldn't have to think about having to match cells, or even have cells of the same age or mA rating. It would just be a non issue.

Anyway, after seeing some on-line videos of the beam pattern of the BC30, I went ahead and ordered the B&M Ixon Premium. I think the Fenix light will be great for folks who ride trails, etc and needs lots of power, but for my needs (mostly riding around town and a bike path), I think the Ixon Premium's unique reflector, which gives a hard horizontal cutoff, will give me a much more bike trail and roadway friendly beam.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Fair enough, Personly I dont see it as an issue as DMM is overkill and I only really do it on unprotected cells, and in a anylight that uses multipal cells Id want to use new cells anyways, so al you have to do is lable them and thats it no extra hassle really... And you dont have to do that, thats only if you want good proformance, nothing is stopping someone running a Old 2600 and a new 3400 cell togeather as if procted it will just stop working when proction cuts in on one of the cells... But I can see whare you are comeing form.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Yes dinamos are great, very bright now days and even have stand ligths normaly, but great for commuteing my issue is you need a new one for each bike essentialy and there heavy and only good on road bikes, not very good for any serrious rideing or offroad but for cummtieing great!