*new* Fenix E20 (2014 edition)

kj2

Flashaholic
Fenix released a new version of their E20.

·Uses Cree XP-E2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
·Uses two AA (Ni-MH, Alkaline) batteries*
·160mm (Length) x 26mm (Diameter)
·94-gram weight (excluding batteries)*
·Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
·Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
·Tactical tail switch with momentary-on function
·Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
·Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
·Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

ebaqyjy8.jpg

9ahunyju.jpg

zeta9u6u.jpg

horizonearth

Newly Enlightened
now this looks interesting. surely beats out the mini-mags!

I would actually like to get one of these. I have a couple SureFire 2x18650's that claim the neighborhood of 1600 lumens. I was drawn to the biggest and brightest, but my budget said SureFire.

In any case, thank you for this post and I just may have to get one of these!

Mike

markr6

Flashaholic
Very interesting idea!!

But I think they basically admitted 80% of their other models are a PITA with "tired of the hard to find side switch?"

Ishango

Enlightened
Very interesting idea!!

But I think they basically admitted 80% of their other models are a PITA with "tired of the hard to find side switch?"
Might be one reason for the design of the LD09.

I like this one. The original E20 is my first LED flashlight and so I might try this one yet.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, not gonna do it.

All I keep seeing is every horror movie ever where the next victim is running, screaming frantically for help and the flashlight flickers, then dies. Who knew it was from motion activation? :p Seriously though, trying to muddle through shake activation when you're tired, cold, or scared is not going to be the most practical interface possible.

And the mode spacing is crap (admittedly, in my opinion) - unless you're planning on using this exclusively as an outdoor light where you might want higher outputs for trail-finding. Otherwise, you go from a 10 lumen low, 80 hour runtime to 125 lumens, 2 hour runtime. And then 250 lumens for 35 minutes. Yeesh - how about a practical, long lasting 45 lumens? The older E21 put out 30 lumens for 8 hours, if memory serves. And freaking bright lumens at that.

kj2

Flashaholic
Nope, not gonna do it.

All I keep seeing is every horror movie ever where the next victim is running, screaming frantically for help and the flashlight flickers, then dies. Who knew it was from motion activation? :p
:laughing:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Motion control deactivation
To prevent accidental operation, just tighten the head to disable the motion control and lock the light on the current output. Loosing the head will resume shake-to-shift brightness control of all three outputs.

Don't care for the shake feature, but this option is awesome- turn it on, shake it to desired mode, then tighten the head on that mode and you effectively have a single mode in the output you want. Unless, make sure I'm understanding, it does turn back on in & only in that selected mode with the head still tightened right (the tighten-lockout only prevents mode switching, you dont have to twist every time, just set & forget)?

Did I overlook when stepdown occurs on high?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah .... I was a little put off until I saw you can lock the mode at the head. That's such an awesome idea because if I understand right it basically makes the light a single output light at whatever mode you want.

Isn't this an upgrade to the E21 though? Not really the E20. I hope they have a neutral version like they did with the E21 for a while. I actually bought the Bright Guy store demo copy of the neutral white E21 last year and used it forever lol. I gave it to my brother though so I'd love an upgraded xp-e2 neutral version with a brighter beam. The neutral E21 was a great light. Really warm beam actually---not incan warm but heading that way.

Are there even neutral tint xp-e2 circulating? I haven't seen that yet online.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks interesting. The throw is similar to the Nitecore MT21A. Might just get it...

välineurheilija

Enlightened
now this looks interesting. surely beats out the mini-mags!

I would actually like to get one of these. I have a couple SureFire 2x18650's that claim the neighborhood of 1600 lumens. I was drawn to the biggest and brightest, but my budget said SureFire.

In any case, thank you for this post and I just may have to get one of these!

Mike

Surely you mean some other fire than Surefire,but yeah this will surely beat out a minimag :)

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Infinite Zero

Newly Enlightened
So far, none of the usual suspects have a preorder for the new E20. This light must be a ways off yet.

Infinite Zero

Newly Enlightened
Should I feel addressed? ;)
Sorry, I didn't know you had a store.
I just meant I did a sweep of the commonly-mentioned US-based stores, and didn't find any.

Have you heard anything about a shipping date yet?

kj2

Flashaholic
Sorry, I didn't know you had a store.
I just meant I did a sweep of the commonly-mentioned US-based stores, and didn't find any.

Have you heard anything about a shipping date yet?
Don't own a store, but have pre-ordered some Fenix lights in the past ;)
Usually it takes around 2-3 weeks after release, to arrive at stores.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Love the idea of this new UI, but it depends on how sensitive the shaking is. If you have to lock it to a level by twisting the head tight for simple walking, aiming and pointing it around, it essentially becomes a more complex twisty light. However, I applaud Fenix for trying something new here!

What I don't like is the mode spacing... Our eyes work closer to log modes, so if 250 lumens is a high mode, 1-5 lumens low, 20-50 lumens on medium and 250 on high would be much more useful, perhaps with a 100 lumen sub-high in between, for extended runtime.
I find a 10 lumens low too high anyway, even disregarding moonlight fanatics.