Searching for best Surefire M6 Led thrower

weiki

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

This is my first attempt in this forum, and I hope I put it on the right place.....!:cool:

I´m searching for the best Surefire M6 LED thrower.

I know that are some existing from Lumensforce, Malkoff and on Ebay.

Does someone have expierience in Surefire M6 Led upgrade as a thrower?

Regards,
Markus

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the ones you mentioned I only have experience with the MD60 from Malkoff. Mine is one of the first versions with the XM-L emitter and was rated at around 450 lumens IIRC. The latest versions use the XM-L2 and are rated at 650.

The MD60 has a very tight hotspot surrounded by a HUGE spill beam. It will reach a good distance but not as far as the "factory" M6LTs that are out now. The following beamshots show the MD60 at 100 yards from the building compared to the new 1200 lumen M6LT that Leon mentioned:

Malkoff MD60 @ 100 Yards

20140718113643-d8c75f3c-me.jpg

SureFire M6LT-B (1200 lumens) @ 100 Yards

i.php

weiki

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

Thank you for your replies!

I'm searching for an "update" Led for the incandescent M6.

Regards,
Markus

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the first MD60 (450 lumens) and the throw was pitiful compared to the stock MN20.

Weiki, why do you want to convert the M6 to LED?

weiki

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

I have three of them and I want to convert one to LED because of the runtime!

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello!

I have three of them and I want to convert one to LED because of the runtime!
Malkoff devices do a dropin, as does Nailbender, and Lumensfactory have a replacement M head too.

I have an older Lumenfactory P7 M head, and it's very nice, I don't know what it's runtime is on a M6 though, as I don't have a stock battery magazine in mine (adapter and 2x18650 instead)

weiki

Newly Enlightened
@Echo63
I know that there a some good dropins out there, but I'm searching for a long distance thrower!

So I'm searching for information which I should choose.

Regards,
Markus

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest trying to find a XPG2-based LED tower. Nailbender makes them, he's a member here on the board. Or, you can check out his website: customlites.com

In my opinion, the XML2 based LED tower doesn't throw very well, which is why I'm suggesting the XPG2.

Last edited:

weiki

Newly Enlightened
@ cland72
Thank you for your suggestion!
I wrote a mail to customlites!

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am bumping this as I am very impressed with the 1200 Lumen M6LT head....I had an MD60 few years back and let it go as I dumped my old original M6 and got out of lights.

I'm BACK!!!!

I am assuming I can run that head on an older M6 body...
That output is impressive! My goal is an M6 left in my truck and able to produce an obscene amount of light on the original primaries. So I prefer an LED with lots of light downrange.

Anyone confirm what LED Surefire is using in the M6LT head, why the 900 and 1200 Lumen models. I assume a more efficient emitter. EDIT: I now have a 900-Lu model and love the throw. The optics were also changed and I'm not a fan of the 1000 Lu version.

I have a warm Cree XP-G2 LF 3-mode drop-in. But apparently I may have damaged it as it says it's OK for up to 13V, well after trying it in my M4 it only works on high now.
I sent an email to LF and am awaiting their reply...

So in theory could I run the 1200 Lumen Surefire head from an M6 on my M4 with 2x17670s?
I am thinking so!!!

Last edited: