Video/Picture Review: Fenix HL50 XML2 headlamp. Content Added and Finished 7-16-14

mhanlen

Enlightened
Review: Fenix HL50

14477791798_2bc6208bb3_c.jpg

14477975007_ef1bd5dbfd_c.jpg
14641433406_da76e46b0e_c.jpg
14661204321_a1bb2a0573_c.jpg

Ok, as you may or may not know the main review here is primarily what's contained in the video. I know not everyone likes or can watch a video, so the later portion of the review is for you. First up though here is the video. As always I tried to incorporate my own brand of humor into it. It is not a boring table top review. It's pretty fast paced and has plenty of nice HD images to look at.

These photos were either taken in my house or in the Monongahela National Forest. I took the light camping with my wife and I during the 4th​ of July Weekend. I had brought along an Armytek Tiara, but decided to let my wife use the Fenix, primarily because it was a bit easier to use. The Armytek has an interface that takes a little bit of time to show someone how to use, and it's a bit of a pain to explain sometimes.

The HL50 has a nice firm button, that gives a nice audible click when you press it. One quick press turns it on and allows you to scroll through any of the three primary modes. A long press turns it off. To access burst mode, you'll need to press and hold. When you let go, burst mode ends. As I used the light I found that the High mode on an eneloop (at close to 200 lumens) was plenty enough brightness and I never had to use burst mode. Most campsite duties you don't need more than that anyway. And if you camp a bit you'll notice that many other people get by on a lot less than 200 lumens, and don't really use flashlights much anymore. Anyway, I brought a flashlight along if I needed something that more had throw.

14477968447_71b75d34af_c.jpg

14662160154_77510f6d15_c.jpg

14477964547_10debb6a50_c.jpg
14662152324_2be5be884a_c.jpg

So, yeah we used it with an eneloop pro all weekend, and not the CR123A. I don't see the point in using it on a lithium for what appears to my eyes as the nominal increase in brightness. Plus I'll just add an extra battery to the backpack in case it's used a lot. One battery was plenty though for two nights of camping.

Anyway, so the light is pretty top notch in turns of quality. It isn't a purely flood headlamp, which is fine, because I find pure flood headlamps scatter a lot of unnecessary light into your peripheral vision and beyond, which is a bit of a waste. Having a reflector is useful on a single AA powered headlamp because it allows it to throw a bit more.

14661212461_4cd2bdc3b5_c.jpg
14664428475_19640660af_c.jpg

It has a comfortable headband, despite having some unique metal parts on it. If you ask me, they also should have made the headband adjustment pieces out of metal too, and there wouldn't have been a single piece of plastic on the light.

14664064712_f7c774e6e8_c.jpg

14477791759_11e844a04d_c.jpg

The HL 50 is easily removable from the band, and you can use it as a tiny right angle light. It doesn't come with a clip or lanyard unfortunately, and as of now Fenix doesn't list a part on their website that fits it. I apologize that my fingernails were dirty, but I had just finished shoveling out a fire pit. Remember the old camp motto, leave the campsite
better than you found it!

14662150284_11b5247dc1_c.jpg

14641431026_b502d50a9a_c.jpg

14477966727_81b2b176b0_c.jpg

Anyway here are some beamshots that compare the output level of each mode between batteries. Naturally every mode is brighter on the CR123A than the Eneloop Pro.

14478050460_88bc4e98ce_c.jpg

14478266597_b00fc1211d_c.jpg

14478096328_4395a07977_c.jpg

14641732036_2a8cf8ef9b_c.jpg

14478094818_8cf220dd8d_c.jpg

14664727715_8b3fb6e94e_c.jpg

14684624083_64c5d9397f_c.jpg

14664727885_059db63bab_c.jpg

14661510791_3db7251b25_c.jpg

Ok, now that those are out of the way, how about comparison on high and burst to other similar-sized lights. I'll throw in a mixture of lithium ion and AA powered lights. You'll notice that it's not quite as bright as the Armytek or the Sunwayman on lithium ion batteries, but it's brighter on a lithium than the Spark, Skilhunt, and the AA powered Fenix LD15 when using burst. Of course, it's also brighter on high mode AA than the Fenix is... Better driver I guess? I put them in the order from what I perceive to be the brightest to the dimmest. You'll notice that the Hl50 has a good spill and spot compromise. That and the XML2 emitter has a nice pleasing neutral white tint.

14661507691_860350c017_c.jpg
14478268247_1c43a1005e_c.jpg

14661510791_3db7251b25_c.jpg

14478264867_f4d19972fe_c.jpg
14664727885_059db63bab_c.jpg

14684624083_64c5d9397f_c.jpg

14661508171_74de655518_c.jpg
14664727715_8b3fb6e94e_c.jpg

14661508831_9c5a6e3f1b_c.jpg

Ok so how about runtimes. All the following videos are integrated into the main video review, plus there's the medium mode runtime tests in the main video review that I won't list here. If you take a look at the packaging in the first few photos it gives you a runtime chart. The runtimes I tested on high and medium with both battery chemistries are either spot on or slightly less than the manufacture rated times (that's fairly accurate as far as I'm concerned). Plus all output levels are current controlled and maintain a near constant brightness throughout Fenix's rated runtimes. They actually run a bit longer than stated but at reduced brightness levels, so you'll have time to change the battery if you need. Anyway here's the first video comparison which is an actual video comparison between Alkaline, CR123A, and an Eneloop Pro battery. Bet you've never seen this kind of test? For each battery I ran a video camera for the entire runtime, and did a split-screen between the three batteries to show you exactly how the HL 50 behaves on each battery. As expected the CR123A was the winner, and the alkaline was the clear loser. A videos were sped up, but show the accurate time.

Anyway, so that about does it. If I have a few parting thought it's this.

What I liked.

• Easy to use, intuitive interface.
  • Well spaced modes.
  • A great light to gift or give someone who needs a good headlamp that's not complicated.
  • Durable, and well built.
  • I like the ease of adjusting the angle, seems to be smoother than the rubber headlamp mounts.
  • No visible PWM on any level.
  • No blinking modes.
  • Great runtimes.
  • Nice spill/spot ratio.

What could be improved?

• Anodized threads. This not only helps the threads last longer, but it also helps lock it out.
  • Moonlight mode. Some people don't like these though.

So that's about it. Thanks! Please feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited:

youlight

Newly Enlightened
Re: HD Video Review: Fenix HL50 XML2 headlamp. Shot in Monongahela National Forest.

Nice review, thank you!

mhanlen

Enlightened
Re: HD Video Review: Fenix HL50 XML2 headlamp. Shot in Monongahela National Forest.

Nice review, thank you!

Thanks!

FYI, I added pictures and text to the video review. This is now finished, feel free to ask any questions.

Swede74

Enlightened

Entertaining and informative as always. Thanks!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for a great review! :thumbsup:

A neutral tinted 1AA/CR123 headlamp with well spaced modes; I think this one will be added to my next order! I just wonder: will the light be firmly in place attached to the metal holder in desired angle, or does it tend to glide around a bit?

mhanlen

Enlightened

It did not glide around for me, and I never had to re-adjust it because it moved either. It's easy to move with your hand, with enough of resistance to keep it from changing angle. I did not run with it though. The two metal clamp like pieces (not the ring) could also be bent inward a bit to "Up" the resistance. Tightening the adapter ring or tailcap does not affect this at all though, because there is a gap designed into it.

faucon

Enlightened

Thanks for the review---very thorough! I have a Nitecore HC50, which has some similarities to the Fenix. Do you happen to have seen an HC50, and if so do you have any impressions of the advantages or disadvantages of each? I see also that the Fenix HL50's lamp isn't centered but located to one side of the unit---did this bother you in any way?

mhanlen

Enlightened

I do not have a Nitecore, and although I had a Crelent CH10, I did not notice any discernible difference. I own four other headlamps, all with an off center emitter- and I've never had a problem with them. The flood-ier models like the Armyteks and Skilhunt, are so scattered I don't know if you could ever tell a difference. But even the ones with small reflectors, like the Fenix or the Spark SG5 don't see to be off center to me. At least when I'm using them. I often use them to repair electronics, and it's never once occurred to me.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

It did not glide around for me, and I never had to re-adjust it because it moved either. It's easy to move with your hand, with enough of resistance to keep it from changing angle. I did not run with it though. The two metal clamp like pieces (not the ring) could also be bent inward a bit to "Up" the resistance. Tightening the adapter ring or tailcap does not affect this at all though, because there is a gap designed into it.

Thanks mhanlen! I am sure I will get HL50.

faucon

Enlightened

I do not have a Nitecore, and although I had a Crelent CH10, I did not notice any discernible difference. I own four other headlamps, all with an off center emitter- and I've never had a problem with them. The flood-ier models like the Armyteks and Skilhunt, are so scattered I don't know if you could ever tell a difference. But even the ones with small reflectors, like the Fenix or the Spark SG5 don't see to be off center to me. At least when I'm using them. I often use them to repair electronics, and it's never once occurred to me.
Thank you, that answers my question. I'm definitely going to check out the HL50.

kensington

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the review, this may be my first real headlamp. I'm not outdoorsy so like the versatility of being able to remove it from the head band and like the AA option.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Today I received the package including ARE-C2 charger, LD09 and HL50.

The initial feeling of HL50 is good. I intend to use it mostly with AA, so I attached the spacer and an AA alkaline. The button is very distinct and feels great. Neutral tint is always my choice when it's available and this one does not make me unhappy. The beam compared to PD32UE: HL50 has very similar hotspot but the spill is wider, and also the tint of my HL50 is warmer than the tint of PD32UE. The feeling of carrying the light on the head is good, very similar as carrying my Zebralight H501W(not strange because it's an obvious similarity in the design and size). I find the beam profile to be very nice and I think HL50 is a good compromise for a pretty floody light but still has some useful throw.
The light hardly will roll around in the holder. As I expected I find the modes to be well spaced.

In my opinion this is the way to go for Fenix. I hope Fenix will offer a neutral tinted single 18650 headlamp in the same design and UI!

TheVat26

Enlightened

Great review. I plan on purchasing (4) for family camping trips. Question, is the headband able to be adjusted to fit the head of a 3 year old boy, and a 6 year old girl (average kid heads)? I don't have my kids exact diameters, but do you think it can tighten up enough for them?

mhanlen

Enlightened

If you were to take a fabric tape or measuring tape, and measure their heads, I could tell you if it would work. The smallest diameter I can get out of the headband is 22 inches. Their heads would have to be bigger to make it work though. Maybe take the tape and measure the inside of one of their ballcaps? I don't have kids, so I don't have one around to test it out on. Hope this post helps though.

TheVat26

Enlightened

Thanks for he reply. I measured them around 20". Perhaps there is some type of cloth peice I can add to better the fit then.

mhanlen

Enlightened

Maybe a ballcap or headband? Or you might try another light like a right angle clip light that you could pin to their shirts. Like the Armytek Tiara or Tiara pro?

dayhiker

Newly Enlightened
I ran a video camera for the entire runtime, and did a split-screen between the three batteries to show you exactly how the HL 50 behaves on each battery"

That is a really nice way to show this, would be nice if it was done for all the headlamps I might want!

The Alkaline seems to have much more definite spot (center), but it is also wider, so is this mainly due to being further back? (Not really germane to what you were trying to show, just curious)

The beam shots on Low are completely black? (except for peep hole?) I assume that is close to what you are seeing, how do you decide on the exposure setting for the camera? Of course our eye itself changes its "exposure" so I guess there isn't an answer for this? I guess you use a setting so the really bright shots are not completely washed out?

mhanlen

Enlightened
To answer your questions.

The runtime test is not scientific. I had to do it over several days- to test all battery types. So the light moved position, and I also desaturated the image too, because I did not white balance the camera day to day (I forgot). But the camera was set to manual, so it's accurate as far as each of the tests is concerned. Thanks for the positive words, I sought feedback from another flashlight community, and the consensus was that most people preferred graphs vs. my runtime tests. Which I completely don't understand- I though my approach works way better than a graph. Glad to see the time it takes to do this is not completely unappreciated.

You can gather accurately from these tests:
1.The total runtime, and output drop, by battery compared to other batteries. It's not time lapse, it's the full run time sped up in post production with a time code generator overlayed.

You can NOT gather accurately from the test.
2. How bright they are compared to one another. Because of the change in position and color temperature from day to day/ test to test.

As far as the stills go, you're on the right track. When I go for my stills, I take two things in consideration. Is it close to how I see it, and is it too blown out? I tend to err on the side of underexposing my shots- which you often have to do because some lights have extreme brightness variances from low to high mode. So if anything the shots, because of limitation of still photography, have to be underexposed a bit, if you want to compare relative output levels by mode and see nice looking beamshots- while maintaining the same camera setting. Hope this answered your questions.

By the way the camera I used for the video runtimes is a JVC GY-HM890U. It's a work camera and I have limited access to it... I do have another review coming out with the same sort of test. It's for the Armytek Tiara A1 Pro.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Nice review. Just ordered one. Does the metal on metal clamp holder wear down the anodized coating over time?

mhanlen

Enlightened
Nice review. Just ordered one. Does the metal on metal clamp holder wear down the anodized coating over time?

It's my wife's headlamp... and she doesn't use it too often- but it hasn't really. The headlamp is mostly held by the ring around the tailcap, and the "jaws" of the headband more or less hold it into place lightly and cen be bent such as they lightly touch the headlamp body. The metal clasp is fairly smooth metal...but I'd assume over time, and with a lot of use it would eventually wear down slowly the anodization.