Anyone here a shortwave radio listener?

Frijid

Enlightened
Took my grundig outta storage the other day to scan the airwaves just to see what's up. All i can say is WOW. All of the good stations are no longer beamed here. The BBC doesn't beam to the US anymore. all of the stations broadcasting here in the US are beamed away from the US to over seas audiences, and 95% of the time all they are, is religious stations.In just a few years absence from listening, i can tell it's went downhill, and as technology keeps coming, the more and more stations will leave the airwaves and go towards internet live streaming or podcast. I was still able to pull in Radio Havana Cuba broadcasting from Cuba, China radio international broadcasting from Albania, and radio Romania, from Romania as the best domestic signals. Found out radio Japan broadcasts from the States, but it's in Spanish and beamed down towards south America. Was disappointed in that. Anyone else here a shortwave listener?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the same thing a few years ago...very hard to pick up broadcasts in English as most are not aimed at the US.

If you want to listen to the BBC and such though, you can get their World Service on a live stream via Internet Radio as you noted. I have a Grace internet radio I use and it works very well. Probably time to upgrade though...

It's really a shame...I have a nice, old Zenith Transoceanic shortwave receiver, a Lowe HF-150, and various amateur radio receivers and really cannot hear much anymore as far as English shortwave broadcasts. :(

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
We're talking about shortwave broadcast stations.

Anything on shortwave from the US military that would be interesting to listen to will be encrypted. And that's all I better say about that. :)

Unless you meant military stationed outside the US? They may be able to hear a few broadcast stations.

Oddly enough, I did locate a stream of the Voice of America. I was surprised to find that...

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Been a couple years since I got out the reel antenna and browsed the nightly lineup; China Radio International with their newfound fascination with capitalism and the "luxury lifestyle", followed by Radio Habana Cuba for that awesome music. Throw some Democratic People's Republic of [North] Korea just for the Orwellian insanity factor..

Out here in Southern Cali, numbers stations were pretty easy to come by, but were in Spanish. And the Firedrake came in loud and clear during the day, if you wanted to hear some really loud and annoying traditional Chinese music from far away..

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've found the same things after turning on the shortwave radio recently; Radio Havana, the Chinese stations, etc. One thing that stood out for me was the station (or whatever it is) that sounds like the drone of a fleet of propeller airplanes. It's been there for decades. I don't know if it's a jamming station, some natural phenomena or something else. I don't think it's OTH radar but I've always wondered what it was.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The most common jamming I remember running into was bubble jamming, you'd run across it every so often, hard to miss. Aside from the Firedrake, which you can hear here; lots of banging and crashing, and a very clear signal, like a local AM station.

Frijid

Enlightened
The only numbers station station i ever picked up was the one known as "Cuban spy numbers." I happened upon it by accident one time. All it is, is a woman saying numbers in Spanish and modem like sounds. Reminds me of the days of dial up internet. I've heard a few strange other noises, but could never find on the internet what they where. One of which was a real faint, low morse coded transmission. As far as i know, the most active countries that jam, are China, and both Koreas. South jams the the Norths, and North jams the South. I think the South also jams Japans signals as well as from China. And if i recall, China jams just about every signal aimed at them. Though i wasn't around at the time, but i heard that the USSR had a few jamming stations that caused a lot of ruckus. The signal that Photon describes, sounds like the russian woodpecker, but i'm not sure if it's still active anymore. You used to be able to hear HAARP on 2750 sometimes when it "fired up"
Something that surprised me, is you never heard any stations from Canada. there are two that i know of that come from Canada, but they are time signals. One of which is 3330 Khz that i can pick up here on the east coast. There is another one, but i can't recall it. I don't think it's as powerful a signals as the time signals that come outta Colorado that atomic clocks work off of.

Pirate stations, are another thing i've heard about, but something i have never picked up.

Another thing i've noticed, is hardly any radio station give out QSL cards. Guess they don't care about signal reports anymore.

I still see shortwave radios as a very valuable tool to have, in case our internet goes down and we needs news, other than local stations.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've heard recordings of the Russian Woodpecker and the buzzing I've heard is definitely not that one. I've heard it on 4810 khz.

I don't think I've ever heard HAARP but I've read that they're supposed to be decommissioning it this summer.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I've heard a few strange other noises, but could never find on the internet what they where. One of which was a real faint, low morse coded transmission. Another thing i've noticed, is hardly any radio station give out QSL cards. Guess they don't care about signal reports anymore.

HAMs still use morse code; it sounds a little funny on a basic receiver since it's using a different radio wave type than standard shortwave broadcasts (continuous wave versus AM,) but it's there. They also use a range of computerized transmission methods that make modem-esque sounds, a computer can send/decode these messages.

As far as I know, all shortwave broadcasters still offer QSL cards, they just don't mention it too often (except for Cumbre over on Radio Habana Cuba.)

stevieo

Newly Enlightened
internet, broadband, wifi & tablets killed the usefulness of shortwave and all the great english language channels discontinued shortwave broadcasts.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
We're talking about shortwave broadcast stations.

Anything on shortwave from the US military that would be interesting to listen to will be encrypted. And that's all I better say about that. :)

Unless you meant military stationed outside the US? They may be able to hear a few broadcast stations.

Oddly enough, I did locate a stream of the Voice of America. I was surprised to find that...

UK Search and Rescue helicopters work on short wave. 5680 is primary no encryption.With a decent aerial such as a simple long wire you can pick them up all over the world.Rescue 22 is the one based here in North Wales.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I listen to WWCR, the Alex Jones show. I am a ham, so I mostly enjoy talking to DX stations but I do alot of listening to SW. I haven't been active last few days because my PC got a virus thanks to a family member. My gear is all PC based & I run a Flex-3000 SDR. I also have a backyard full of antennas. So my SW experience is very fun.
It is amazing to listen to whats out there. Over the years, I have heard tons of number stations, and some very strange & odd noises. Some so strange that even very experienced hams & former military radio ops can't tell what it is. I like to think its super secret spy stuff (makes me feel cool) lol. Kinda funny how the strange transmissions seem to increase when ever there is some major world wide political event?? So who knows.
Not sure if others mentioned Over The Horizon Radar? But that is a pretty wild sound.
With my SDR radio, I can "see" the transmissions on a waterfall. It adds to the cool factor. I spend hours a day scrolling through all the frequencies listening & looking. My wife thinks I am looking for alien life! lol

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I listen to WWCR, the Alex Jones show. I am a ham, so I mostly enjoy talking to DX stations but I do alot of listening to SW. I haven't been active last few days because my PC got a virus thanks to a family member. My gear is all PC based & I run a Flex-3000 SDR. I also have a backyard full of antennas. So my SW experience is very fun.
It is amazing to listen to whats out there. Over the years, I have heard tons of number stations, and some very strange & odd noises. Some so strange that even very experienced hams & former military radio ops can't tell what it is. I like to think its super secret spy stuff (makes me feel cool) lol. Kinda funny how the strange transmissions seem to increase when ever there is some major world wide political event?? So who knows.
Not sure if others mentioned Over The Horizon Radar? But that is a pretty wild sound.
With my SDR radio, I can "see" the transmissions on a waterfall. It adds to the cool factor. I spend hours a day scrolling through all the frequencies listening & looking. My wife thinks I am looking for alien life! lol

Your reply takes me back to those 007 number stations.I use to listen to civil aircraft talking to there home bases on SW.

Full Power

Newly Enlightened
Took my grundig outta storage the other day to scan the airwaves just to see what's up. All i can say is WOW. All of the good stations are no longer beamed here. The BBC doesn't beam to the US anymore. all of the stations broadcasting here in the US are beamed away from the US to over seas audiences, and 95% of the time all they are, is religious stations.In just a few years absence from listening, i can tell it's went downhill, and as technology keeps coming, the more and more stations will leave the airwaves and go towards internet live streaming or podcast. I was still able to pull in Radio Havana Cuba broadcasting from Cuba, China radio international broadcasting from Albania, and radio Romania, from Romania as the best domestic signals. Found out radio Japan broadcasts from the States, but it's in Spanish and beamed down towards south America. Was disappointed in that. Anyone else here a shortwave listener?

Yes.. ..errr, more like I tried, and yeah there was more disappointment then there was entertainment! Mine is also a Grundig G1100 -- says there are 10-Bands; I guess one needs to be on top of a high hill, void of obstructions, then maybe one might receive a little variety.. ..and maybe not.!?
Cheers,
Full Power

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I guess one needs to be on top of a high hill, void of obstructions, then maybe one might receive a little variety.. ..and maybe not.!?

You need an external antenna; nothing complex or expensive, a basic pocket reel antenna will literally triple the number of stations you receive. Works with any radio, just clip to the whip and unreel, takes only a few seconds to set up.

It also helps to know where you're going, a shortwave programming guide like the one over at PrimeTimeShortwave can give you some stations and times to guide your way.

Full Power

Newly Enlightened
You need an external antenna; nothing complex or expensive, a basic pocket reel antenna will literally triple the number of stations you receive. Works with any radio, just clip to the whip and unreel, takes only a few seconds to set up.

It also helps to know where you're going, a shortwave programming guide like the one over at PrimeTimeShortwave can give you some stations and times to guide your way.

Thanks.. ..I've been trying for yrs, even looking stuff up -- now I'm in a basement apt with lousy reception; but one day start-up SW again...this time with better info, cheers,
Full Power

Full Power

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.. ..I've been trying for yrs, even looking stuff up -- now I'm in a basement apt with lousy reception; but one day start-up SW again...this time with better info, cheers,
Full Power

Did a little research on Pocket Reel Antenna, and sounds pretty doable for sure -- again, thanks for info!
Cheers