Review: Lumintop ED15 XM-L2 (1*AA/14500) 2nd edition

ChibiM

Enlightened
Lumintop ED15 (2nd edition)
the first edition doesnt work with 14500
14627418055_c55501129d_z.jpg
14625312614_bc1976f06c_z.jpg

emergency defense flashlight
Currently Lumintop has 5 lights in their ED line up.

1. ED10 XPG (CR123/16340)
  2. ED11 XML2 (CR123/16340)
  3. ED15 XML2 (1*AA)
  4. ED20 XML2 (1*18650)
  5. ED21 XML2 (2*CR123A)
Let`s see what Lumintop has to offer in this ED15!
This is the 2nd edition of the ED15.
Specifications:
Brand/ModelLumintop ED15
LED:XM-L2 CW
Working voltage0.9-2.7V
Battery1xAA/14500
SwitchTail-cap, Reverse clicky
Modes6, 3main 3 blinkies
Mode changinghalf-press and twisting head
AnodizingPremium III
Tail-standYes, but not very stable
Mode memoryYes
Lock-OutNo
Momentary-OnNo
Coated glass lensYes
ReflectorSmooth
WaterproofYes
First impressions:
My first impressions were rather positive. Besides the very simple packaging, I was happy to find the including holster (although I usually never use one) and the spare O-ring, lanyard and rubber switch boot.
Just holding the light, and playing with it a bit, it felt like it would be able to be a very nice EDC light. And with the great knurling on the body, this is definitely a pleasure to hold in different situations. But the tail switch left me with a few questions. More on this later.

What`s in the package?
Lumintop provides a fairly basic package including the following:

• ED15 flashlight
  • Holster (pic)
  • Lanyard (pic)
  • Spare O-ring
  • Spare rubber switch boot
  • Manual
14441020787_b4b8024330_z.jpg

Size, handling and close ups;
Typical dimensions for this kind of light. Nothing fancy, nothing breathtaking, fairly basic and straightforward. Classic would be a good description.
Not that it`s a bad thing! I like classic!
Length: 101mm Picture

Width: 22mm Picture

Weight:
60grams without battery
85grams with AA*1​ battery (picture)

Size and weight comparisons against other 1*AA lights.
1*AA lights:Lumintop ED15Spark SF5Olight S15Eagletec D25ASunwayman V11RFenix LD12
Length101mm85mm87mm87mm100mm105mm
Dia22mm21.5mm19.5mm18mm23mm21.5
Dia head22mm24mm23mm18mm23mm21.5
Weight

grams
Knurling

The ED15 has lots of knurling, on the head as well as the body. This results in a very easy operation by twisting the head to enter the Main-modes and Blinky modes.
It has very very smooth threads.. which reminds me of the Olight i6 with its very smooth threading. Love that one.
At the same time, this is a good occasion to warn people about the blinky modes, which can be entered by unscrewing the head (slightly).. And because the threads are so super smooth, it doesn`t take much force to accidentally enter the blinky modes. So Beware!
Sharp or smooth?

The ED15 doesn`t have any sharp edges. So you woulnt have to worry to much carrying this in your pocket.

Anodizing seems to be done very well and clean. No blemishes found yet. I don`t know how strong it really is, and I`m not planning on testing that either.

The prints on the light are very clear and even. No complaints there.
click on pics for bigger size.

Clip: Strong and Reversible

The ED15 arrived with the clip attached, as show in the earlier pictures.
Stiff and strong.
It`s not a deep carry pocket clip. About 40% of the light would stick out the pocket with the clip attached backwards (pointing towards the tail).
The good thing is, its reversible.. is that a good thing?

I does however work perfectly clipped on a baseball cap. like this;
which is great for keeping you hands-free!
14604422856_6cc0e6edc3_z.jpg

The lens is 17/18mm dia, and is coated.
Using a smooth reflector probably helps a little bit in the throw department, but it`s still not very affective after all. More on this later.
The ED15 can definitely Tail-Stand, but its not very stable, because of the cut outs in the back part of the body.

Threads (picture) came lubed, and are a pleasure to use. It feels as smooth as butter! behind the Threads,there is an O-ring, that will keep the water out.
It sports a XM-L2 led, that was well centered on my sample.
The tail can be opened with a tweezer supposedly, but I used a Watch Opener tool, like this:
Works great.
14668598322_45e924c27f_z.jpg

UI interface;
Very simple and straight forward.. This is a big plus! The switch is a Reverse Clicky, so the ED15 will not work as a Momentary On.
The clicky feels very responsive. But you really need to push the button with the tip of your thumb, as its really difficult to push it with the lower part of your thumb.

So you need to do a Full click and release to turn the light one.
And half clicks to change modes.
Main modes: on AA*1​

1. Low (output 1.7% current draw 1.25%)
  2. Medium (output 18.6% current draw 16.8%)
  3. High (output 100% current draw 100%) with built in timer, after 3:30 min. it will drop to 40% output)
    (using a 14500, the output drops from 100% to 53%)

Blinky modes:

1. Strobe
  2. Flash
  3. Slow Flash (beacon?)
Hmm... this light doesn`t have an SOS mode.. Almost strange. Most lights with any kind of blinky modes, usually have some sort of SOS mode. But the ED15 just doesn`t.
I usually don`t use any blinky modes myself. but I thought the way they implemented the blinky modes on this light, is definitely much nicer than some budget lights at which you have to cycle through all blinky modes to enter the main modes, or even just turning the light off. You just have to twist the head a few % ccounter clockwise to enter the blinky modes.changing modes, works the same as in the main-group-modes, with a half press, to cycle throught the 3 blinky modes.
Mode memory
According to the manual, this light doesn`t have any memory mode.
But according to my testing, the light HAS memory mode.
It has a 4 seconds Off-Time mode memory. I have tested it many times, to understand how this memory works, But it`s not an On-Time memory, but an Off Time memory.This means that if the the light is turned off for more than 4 seconds, the last used mode (main or blinky) will be memorized.
If you turn the light on again before those 4 seconds, it will cycle through to the next mode.
PWM
Is there the dreaded PWM in this light? YES,but Fast PWM.. nothing to worry about.It`s noticeable, in Low and Medium, but only if you wave the light in front of your eyes.There is none PWM detectable in High mode.
in Low:
Shutter speed of 1 second.. so you can count the Hz if you want, its pretty High.

Compared to the ITP A3 upgraded Titanium, High PWM
Left line is ED15, right line is Olight A3 (click on pic for enlarged version)
I moved it quickly up and down,so you will see a few lines of each.

Performance;
The ED15 has 2 versions, both look identical though. The way you can distinguish the difference, is looking at the contact plate of the driver; the older version is this (pic from selfbuilt) and mine is This one..
Current draw AA*1​:

1. Low 0.02A
  2. Medium 0.27A
  3. High 1.60A
Current draw 14500*2​:

1. Low 0.02A
  2. Medium 0.27A
  3. High 1.87A
Run-time on AA*1​

Measured the run-time twice.
First time with a standard AA eneloop 3rd gen. (which wasn`t full probably)
Second time with a standard AA eneloop 2nd gen.
The last test came out quite a bit better, as the battery came off the charger about 1 hour before testing.
14649325121_48f185aaee_z.jpg

Run-Time is a rough 110minutes.. After 110 minutes it dropped quickly, until it was at 0% ceiling bounce output within 5 minutes.
STEP DOWN
As you can see, it has a Step Down after 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
you can enter the Higher output mode again, if you change modes, back to High again.
The specs say, that it has a Run-time of 1.3hours in High mode.. its a little deceiving. Yes, its true, but not at the claimed 220lumens.
(the step down is a safety feature especially for using 14500 li-ion cells.
I would say it to be roughly 100 lumens for about 110 minutes on AA.
My preference would be to have no Step Down for AA cells, but only for 14500.
Throw
At a 5 meter distance, I measured a throw of 1000cd.... ;)
Which is basically the same as the Sunwayman V11R XM-L2 NW, which I tested it against at the same time.
So, the smooth reflector doesn`t really help for throw.
Ceiling bounce (not comparable with lux numbers measured by other members, because of the different test-setup)
AA:
High has a ceiling bounce of 21lux , which is equal to the Sunwayman V11R XM-L2 NW@ 21lux.

14500:
High has a ceiling bounce of 83lux, which is more than the Sunwayman V11R XM-L2 NW @ 66 lux.

Comparisons
Beam shots
Control shot:(Shot with Fujifilm F200EXR M mode f3.3 0.5sec iso 400)
14474296130_b2e69687e9_z.jpg

AA
Top Sunwayman V11R (NW), (flashlight on the left)

14637996816_988c72d29b_z.jpg

14474352618_e6a9e73746_z.jpg

Mouse Over Right: ED15 (CW) (flashlight on the right)

Sunwayman V11R (NW) (flashlight left)

14637996706_bcdcd897f6_z.jpg

14658722504_e81cdf3cc4_z.jpg

Lumintop ED15 (CW) (flashlight on the right)

Low lumens test:

14626946102_e8871e6c67_z.jpg

ITP A3, Lumintop ED15, Sunwayman V11R, Fenix LD12
14440815429_85bfe0dec4_z.jpg

Here a group shot for size comparision.
14440763660_f89098792c_z.jpg

14482253950_27586db559_z.jpg

same order as picture above.

Conclusion:
Will it replace my Sunwayman V11R? No, but it`s probably gonna replace my SWM M10A xml in my business bag.
My first impressions were positive. Then while doing the review, my feelings were a little mixed.. Now when I know it can also use 14500 and the 3:30 is a good safety feature, I start liking the light more..
Would I recommend this light? YES
PROS:

1. Great grip, excellent knurling
  2. Excellent build quality
  3. Threads are smooth
  4. Works on AA and 14500
  5. 14500 gives a nice boost in output
  6. Run-time is quite long for high mode on AA (see also cons)
  7. Blinky modes are hidden, but easy accessible
  8. Has a step down, to not overheat the light with 14500 (see also cons)
  9. Comes with holster, extra o-ring and spare rubber boot

CONS:

1. Step down at 3:30minutes even with AA (thats a pro for 14500, a con for aa)
  2. According to manual the runtime of 1.3hours @ 220lumens is unrealistic, because of he step down.
  3. The light is glued, so I couldnt open it up, therefore not so much modding possibilities
  4. Not much throw
  5. Price could be a tad bit lower for what you get.

If I miss something, please feel free to ask or comment

*1​ Measured with Std. Eneloop AA
*2 ​Measured with Trustfire Flame 14500

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review :) - you don't see many Lumintop lights here on CPF.

I was thinking the same thing. Mode spacing looks good too. A more appropriate low mode IMO compared to many others.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice review.

ive had a ED15 for some months now. and its not bad, but i also never use it since its more like my back up single AA light, so i cant say much about it. i do plan on it being my primary EDC for my upcoming trip to hawaii though, and give it a real testing.

mine always starts on its 2 lumen low, which is my ideal low mode. the 3 modes are very well spaced. these are probably the biggest reasons why i purchased the ED15. that and the simple UI.

but at the time i bought it, Lumintop had released a version 2 of the light, according to selfbuilt. the version 2 had PWM, and mode memory which i didnt want. the version i have has neither. with 2 volt max, which im fine with since i use lithium primaries, or eneloops.
this might be a 3rd version? i cant remember if it supported 14500 before.

as for the anodizing, its probably the worst ive ever seen. it rode in my pocket for a few minutes with my surefire, and it came out all with bite marks all over it.
everytime i put the light into my pocket it comes out with more scratches. i have carried a surefire for a year to get those same results.

i also opened mine up to modify it. its not that well constructed, but typical of most made in china lights. i was pleasantly surprised at the size of the reflector. it has almost the exact same dimensions as a Mc18s that i have. and found that my 20mm optics can fit with a little bit of trimming. as of now i have a high cri XM-L2 in it with a narrow optic. but i might just put in a XP-E2 for more throw.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Thank´s for the review! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the review :) - you don't see many Lumintop lights here on CPF.

I agree. There is a representant for Lumintop here at the forums, but he does not participate as often as the other manufacturers or have an own subforum, neither does Lumintop anser to PM or when one emails them.

Lumintop is an interesting brand and i´d like to hear more from them.

ChibiM

Enlightened
Thanks guys.
@skyfire, no contacted Lumintop and they told me there are 2 versions. Mine has PWM. And it supports 14500, whereas the first version without mode memory, without own and without 14500 support.

I must also say that they are not easy to communicate with, they did answer, but very shortly, and once I asked about details that stopped responding.
That might be another reason they aren't as popular are other name brands.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

ChibiM

Enlightened

I agree. There is a representant for Lumintop here at the forums, but he does not participate as often as the other manufacturers or have an own subforum, neither does Lumintop anser to PM or when one emails them.

Thanks guys.
@skyfire, I contacted Lumintop and they told me there are 2 versions. Mine has PWM. And it supports 14500, whereas the first version is without mode memory, without PWM and without 14500 support.

I must also say that they are not easy to communicate with, they did answer, but very shortly, and once I asked about details that stopped responding.
That might be another reason they aren't as popular are other name brands.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

i dont really know what their targeted market is....
after reading selfbuilt's review of the ED15 many months ago, i couldnt find any US dealers that carry them. i eventually ordered it from a hong kong, or china based dealer that supports CPFMP. i thought it was strange that they dont have any US dealers. if a US dealer did carry their lights it was only old models, which seem to be from old stock.

ChibiM

Enlightened
Not sure why either. At least they seem to have some interesting lights.
Maybe some dealer could get in touch with them..or maybe they are difficult to do business with. Who knows