Pot-dimmer on DC-DC BOOST converter?

AlexGroove

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

As stated in the title, does anyone know how to put a pot dimmer on a DC-DC boost converter?
I have a few XL6009's on my hands which I have to play around with. Been playing with some resistors, pots, and red leds as practice. (And I blew one up too... Not my brightest moment)

So... any answers?

Thanks in advance!

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
To answer you question, it depends on the converter. Every one is different, though general principles are often the same. For a voltage regulator, there's typically a voltage divider on the output, which sends a reduced voltage to a feedback pin. Sometimes the circuit is a little more complicated than a voltage divider. If there's a simple divider, like there is on the XL6009, then adjusting the upper resistor (R2 in the datasheet schematic that I was looking at) will change the output voltage.

But the XL6009 is a voltage regulator, not a current regulator. Thus, it's a poor choice for driving LEDs.

Illum

Flashaholic
well, wouldn't say impossible, but the XL6009 has a FB pin, you could wire it into current mode, but then the road gets harder from there. You'd have to use an op amp to drive a BJT transistor in the place of the current sense resistor and forcing it to act like a variable resistor by varying the voltage applied to its base. That's what I would do if you absolutely must use a XL6009.

AlexGroove

Newly Enlightened
The XL6009 aren't a must, I got the for a battery project and have them at my hands. What would the best converter be to get in this case?