Solarforce and SF P60 bulb - Solved

KQL

Newly Enlightened
Continuing with my adventures in incandescent flashlights, I bought 2 solarforce hosts, an L2M (screws apart to single 123 length) and an L2T (C2 copy). I'm still waiting on my lumens factory bulbs, but I put in my current P60 bulb and nada. No light. Comparing the host tubes side by side, it's obvious that the host body tubes are shorter than my G2 body tube, and are different lengths from each other even.

When I fully assemble the solarforce host with bulb and batteries, I get no light. As I start to unscrew the head with the clicky ON, I eventually get the bulb to turn on, but only after unscrewing the head quite a bit.

Am I missing something here? It's almost like the P60 bulb has a cutout switch if it's over-compressed. If this is true, why are the host tubes shorter than the needed 2xcr123 length?

I've tried G2 bezel - solarforce body - G2 tailcap combination, but still no light.

I've tried to search for this, but my combination of search terms just gives me hundreds of results on P60 drop ins, I'm trying to make this work with a P60 bulb.

Last edited:

1pt21

Enlightened
Re: Solarforce and SF P60 bulb

Simple problem. Simple fix.

The SF drop ins do not make proper contact with Solarforce bodies. What I do is take a pair or pliers and bend the last coil of the outer spring (larger, negative contact spring) outward until it makes proper contact with the body.

You may have to bend it a good amount to make reliable contact. This may also cause the module to look crooked, but don't worry it will straighten out perfectly when the head is installed.

p90 in a Solarforce 2x18650 body is my go to beater incan.

Hope this helps you out!

1pt21

Enlightened

Let me clarify a bit to make it easy for you. You don't want to pull on that spring too much and risk damaging it.

I take the pliers and slip it over the curved part of the last coil (maybe 1/4" give or take) and simply squeeze the pliers tight until that portion becomes almost straight.

Not the most elegant method, but it works 100% and never flickers. And nobody will see what it looks like anyway.

Sorry no pics right now.

Last edited:

KQL

Newly Enlightened

It worked. I made the diameter if the last coil much larger, until it was scraping the inside of the head portion on the host. Thank you.

1pt21

Enlightened

It worked. I made the diameter if the last coil much larger, until it was scraping the inside of the head portion on the host. Thank you.

Yep, exactly!

Glad to help :candle:

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Here is another solution: adding a thin washer to the SolarForce host to form a ledge that is compatible with the SureFire P60 format.

IMG_6311.jpg

IMG_6312.jpg

KQL

Newly Enlightened

My Lumens Factory bulbs arrived, they have same outer spring as the SF p60 bulb. It's incredible to me that in the numerous reviews I've read, no one ever mentioned that these hosts are in fact not compatible with the p60 platform. Anywho, since I don't want to have to bend the spring on every bulb, I think I'll go the "washer as a spacer" route. Local hardware store only has zinc washers. I'd like to be able to use the IMR series of bulbs in these hosts, is the lower conductivity of zinc a concern in this application?

i found a place online that will stamp custom sizes of copper washers, but have not investigated the cost yet.

KQL

Newly Enlightened

For anyone who finds this thread in the future, apparently copper washers are often used in automotive applications for brakes and even as oil washers. My local O'Reilly auto parts had them in the oil change section. "Oil-tite!", made by Dorman, size M14 (9/16) product number 65268. They fit like they were made specifically for this job. 22.4mm OD, 14.25mm ID, 1.2mm thickness.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm surprised with the problems here. I have 4 solarforce hosts and dropins from surefire, solarforce, Chinese generic, LF, vinh and every one works flawlessly in every host with no modification and this is the first I've heard of this problem

cbsmith111

Newly Enlightened
My l2m is the same way. Be aware that most standard washers that will fit the shelf have to small of center hole. It might work at first but the positive spring can make contact and create a short. The idea of it may not seem as nice but I found bending the spring to be a much more reliable solution unless you find an aluminum or copper washer with an oversized hole.

KQL

Newly Enlightened
I've considered drilling out the hole some, but would need a 11/16 drill bit, which I don't have at the moment. I examined the spring/washer assembly and it seemed to have plenty of clearance, so I left it as is.

jupello

Enlightened
I just stumbled upon this problem after buying Solarforce L2M. It is strange indeed that people don't mention this in the reviews.
I have not found a suitable washer for it yet, but will start searching now.

If you do have a good washer with too small hole, you could also use file to widen the hole. Should be easy, especially if it is soft material like copper or aluminum.

skillet

Enlightened

For anyone who finds this thread in the future, apparently copper washers are often used in automotive applications for brakes and even as oil washers. My local O'Reilly auto parts had them in the oil change section. "Oil-tite!", made by Dorman, size M14 (9/16) product number 65268. They fit like they were made specifically for this job. 22.4mm OD, 14.25mm ID, 1.2mm thickness.

c series m series c2m adapter brass washer shim spacer

Seems that every P60 host I have suffers with this problem. I have toyed around with the idea of making a washer for this and just never got around to it. This 3 pack from the parts store eliminates the issue. Solarforce host with C2M adapter now working flicker free!!! I hope this thread saves a lot of folks some time in the future!!

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast

All cheap 18650 hosts don't have battery stopper at head side and bored out all the way. So there is not enough negative contact surface for spring.
Even if you use washer but your tail spring is harder than positive of module, you may still have some contact problem.