My PolyStinger Impressions

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a PolyStinger about a week and a half ago, but I wanted to play around with it for a while before I gave any impressions about it. The only thing negative I have to say about it is that it's a little bigger than I prefer or am used to carrying. That's no reflection on the light, just a "personal preference" issue. Currently, the "biggest" light I EDC is an SF E2. (I also EDC an ArcLS1rev2, ArcAAA turq, and now a SL Keymate
icon14.gif
)

Size aside, I REALLY like the PolyStinger! It feels very good in your hand. There are absolutely no rattles, taps, clicks, or any other noises that shouldn't be there...VERY solid! For carrying it at work, I ordered the Boston smooth leather PolyStinger holster, but I think I may go with a hanging loop as the holster makes the light sit a little too high for my liking...
The switch feels very durable. Just the right amount of resistance...not flimsy feelig at all. I'm getting to where I prefer top switches to tail cap switches, so I find the position of the switch to be pleasing.
When I first turned the light on I was pretty pleased with the amount of light that came out. It appeared to be somewhere between my SF E2 and my PT Surge. With the tight focus, it blows the E2 away in terms of throw, and it appears to throw a little further than my Surge because it can be focused down a little tighter. It is , by no means brighter than the Surge (which is still my brightest light...) but brighter than my friends SF G2, and throws noticeably farther than the G2.
All in all, I'm pleased with the PolyStinger. I'm even more pleased knowing that I won't have to feed it 123's! With the AC Fast Charger that I ordered with it, I think it was $75.00 well spent, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this light to anybody. Nice flashlight
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

PJD

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
PJD, does the one you got has the latest dimpled reflector or mirror smooth one?

TIA

Alan

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan...It has the dimpled reflector. I think the smooth reflector would throw a little further, but beam quality would be sacrificed. All in all, NICE light!

PJD

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Okay Onyx. No more foolin' around.

I have to go to Dallas late Monday thru late Tuesday. I have to go to court as a witness for the state against a guy I had a wreck with in December Wednesday morning.

But I almost promise... (have a lot to do Thursday and at least part of Friday) ... to get your Scorp, UK4AA AS2, Surge bulb etc. on their way to you.

I have held out so long partially thinking you would want a knife or two added. Or maybe some other light(s).

But I shall try!

I can see why one might choose a poly. Where it gets very hot or very cold for example. An electrician may well choose poly as well.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by PlayboyJoeShmoe:
I can see why one might choose a poly. Where it gets very hot or very cold for example. An electrician may well choose poly as well.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's also quite a bit lighter. I'm quite happy with mine, and Dano has described a way to use 2400MAH battery sticks, extending runtime to about 80 minutes.

Brightnorm

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
PJD, thanks for the review. I wonder if SL sells reflector upgrade only.

Alan

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan...You might check BrightGuy. They sell replacement lens/reflector assemblies. If you talk to them or e-mail them I'm almost positive you could specify dimpled or smooth reflector. BrightGuy is a GREAT company to deal with!

PJD

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
PJD, thanks again. I just checked and AGR does carry it. By the way, I've never purchased from Brightguy due to their unusual policy for overseas customers.

Alan

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
Just FYI - I understand the Streamlight PolyStinger was, and may still be, issue for the Honolulu Police Department.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Originally posted by PlayboyJoeShmoe:
Okay Onyx. No more foolin' around.........
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks PBJS. You take care of what you gotta do first (that being a witness thing doesn't sound fun). You oferred as a favour, and I appreciate that. Esp since I didn't plan on adding so many other things to what was originally only mag xenon bulbs.
wink.gif
The lights I have will serve me till then.

Alan - what/how do you mean brightguys has unusual policy for o/seas? I order off them, my name and CC details where Australian, but shipping address was US (to PlayboyJoeShmoe) and they didn't question me or anything (yes, it does look sus when they're two separate)