Best Key Fob sized light?

Isaac-1

Newly Enlightened
I am a long time lurker here, and I have tried searching without recent results, so I finally decided to join and ask.

I am looking for a good small bright LED flashlight to keep on my keyring. It does not have to be tiny, but I would like it no bigger than a modern automotive remote, do you have any suggestions?

medicburke

Newly Enlightened
Last edited by a moderator:

Poppy

Flashaholic
foursevens atom A0 is about the smallest AAA light, followed by the very small
DQG VI AAA, it takes either AAA, or 10440 and with a 10440, it is very bright.

Then there are the "standard" sized AAA lights. Pretty much all the bigger named makers make some version of a AAA light,
foursevens, thrunite, olight, fenix, eagletac...

EDIT... please refer to the links in the previous post ! :)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
How small do you want to go?

250.jpg

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nip into any half decent tool store and they will have plenty on offer from a dollar up,no need to pay silly prices for a key chain light.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Nip into any half decent tool store and they will have plenty on offer from a dollar up,no need to pay silly prices for a key chain light.

Well, no NEED to pay silly prices, but I did, because I wanted one that was brighter, longer lasting, and would take rechargeable AAAs than the lights that are available at dollar stores.

Some little dollar store lights also have side button activation, and that may inadvertently kill those precious little button cells.

Isaac-1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies so far, it has given me some stuff to think about.

Ike

p.s. medicburke, I drive a Dodge Challenger, so that dodge Fobik key makes the prefect size comparison

radiopej

Enlightened
My Atom AL is pretty small. However, I think the Olight i3S is one of the best AAA flashlights I have ever had (probably the best, but depends what you're after).

3 good modes plus hidden strobe, tailstanding, headlamp if clipped to a hat, waterproof and takes a nice, common battery. All for less than $30 and with 5 colour options.

I carry a bunch of lights and most run CR123, which will be brighter, but I always find something special about the i3S. Throw in a Lithium AAA and you can just forget it there until you need it.

Alternatively, the non-clicky EagleTac D25C series are pretty small and run a single CR123 so they put out a bunch of light.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, no NEED to pay silly prices, but I did, because I wanted one that was brighter, longer lasting, and would take rechargeable AAAs than the lights that are available at dollar stores.

Some little dollar store lights also have side button activation, and that may inadvertently kill those precious little button cells.

There are also some excellent lights out there in retail land for example the Energizer light in chrome with on/off switch,very bright and just a few dollars.Led Lenser are prolific in the key chain department and offer a decent range without breaking the bank.Many stores have the Led Lenser gift packs in stock which includes a good quality edc complete with a free key chain light.:D

Jeff T

Newly Enlightened
I've got quite a few lights in this category.

I've got a prometheus beta QR in copper and it's a great light, but too big for a keychain for me. Funnily enough I find the quick release to be the worst feature. With the QR attachment connected it just becomes too long and bulky to be attached to a set of keys.

For the AAA size I like the DQG Tiny AAA and the olight i3s (about the same weight but a little longer, and anodising doesn't survive well on my keychains).

I keep my house keys and car keys separate and at the moment have a DQG Tiny AAA on my house keys and an energizer keychain light on my car keys.

When I have both sets of keys on me I tend to go for the energizer most of the time. It's easier to find and turn on in the dark. One whole side of the light is pretty much a big clicky switch. I much prefer it to the photon microlight, egear pico or streamlight nanolight.

Here's a link to the energizer:

Link Deleted as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
There are also some excellent lights out there in retail land for example the Energizer light in chrome with on/off switch,very bright and just a few dollars.Led Lenser are prolific in the key chain department and offer a decent range without breaking the bank.Many stores have the Led Lenser gift packs in stock which includes a good quality edc complete with a free key chain light.:D

I suppose it depends on what "best" means, which is what the OP is asking for in the title of the thread.

Generally, "Best" doesn't mean dimmer, less long lasting, less durable, but cheap.

Of course, "Best" COULD mean just the lumens, or just the throw, or just the durability, or some unspecified but important to the user combination of those factors.

The OP never gave specs that defined what "Best" meant...so everyone is just guessing, and recommending small bright lights (Or, in your case, dimmer cheap lights, etc)

:D

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose it depends on what "best" means, which is what the OP is asking for in the title of the thread.

Generally, "Best" doesn't mean dimmer, less long lasting, less durable, but cheap.

Of course, "Best" COULD mean just the lumens, or just the throw, or just the durability, or some unspecified but important to the user combination of those factors.

The OP never gave specs that defined what "Best" meant...so everyone is just guessing, and recommending small bright lights (Or, in your case, dimmer cheap lights, etc)

:D

Well you got that wrong for starters,the little Energizer is a brilliant little light and makes the dull old fashioned Fenix E01 something best put back in a museum and half the price.

dss_777

Enlightened
I'm still liking my ARC AAA after all these years.

As sturdy as a German farmers wife. Unfortunately, about as bright, too.

Surprisingly useful- while of low output, there's the extremely long run-time, and excellent build quality.

And most important, as long as I'm wearing pants, it's always there.

There's alot to be said for that "always there" thing. :thumbsup: FWIW, I tried the new Mako, and just didn't feel confident in it as a beat-the-snot-out-of-it keychain light. The ARC has endured much, looks like ***, but keeps lighting up every time I drag it out.

YMMV

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are definitely many definitions of best for AAA lights. I have a problem with AAA lights and have many best ones.
Tank007 E03 is my best cheap one and has about the best throw for an unmodded AAA
OLight i3s or Titanium Innovations is about the best on a Li-ion. Great output, tint and beam. Replace the stock keychain attachment on the i3s because it is weak.
DQG AAA SS is small, the optic yields a nice beam and the SS is good for keychain duty.
ThruNite Ti2, which is aluminum, has a nice UI.
Dereelight DA3 has a very floody beam and a nice, deep carry clip. Tint is not for white wall hunting but fine for real life use. The lanyard attachment is not great for keychain duty.
FourSevens Preon P1 is a nice reverse clicky.
Maratac copper AAA modded by Vinh and running on a li-ion is a flashaholic dream. Great tint, output and the whole light gets warm on high.
FourSevens Atom AO is very small (like the DQG) and the beam is all flood. The magnet on the tail is useful, but may not be good for keychain duty.
Lumintop Worm and Tool have good regulation and runtimes.
Klarus MiX6 Ti is very light and a clone/copy of the well liked FourSevens Revo. Runs on a li-ion, like many of these lights, for more output. More heat, too.
Prometheus QR has a Nichia 219 so the tint is very nice. If the quick release meets your needs, you won't mind the added length.
The new Fenix E05 SS is on the way. The reviews indicate this will be another of my best AAA lights.
McGizmo Sapphire GS is Ti, is very solid, has long runtimes and a useful beam with nice tint.
Tain Ottavino AAA twisty is Ti, has beautiful knurling, a trit, nice beam and tint from the XP-G2 N emitter and is always in my pocket.

Edit: Forgot 2 more bests. My Peak Eigers from Oveready. Nichia 219 mule, which I usually run on a 10180 body with QTC. Great flood and tint and decent runtime below high. I also use it on an AAA body for longer runtime on high. The caps from Oveready are great - they turn extra bodies into cell holders and you can quickly switch the head to a fresh cell. And the mini turbo head with an XP-G2 N emitter. AAA body, momentary switch and no QTC. High output and throw on a li-ion.

And no, I don't have a Fenix E01.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still liking my ARC AAA after all these years.

As sturdy as a German farmers wife. Unfortunately, about as bright, too.

Surprisingly useful- while of low output, there's the extremely long run-time, and excellent build quality.

And most important, as long as I'm wearing pants, it's always there.

There's alot to be said for that "always there" thing. :thumbsup: FWIW, I tried the new Mako, and just didn't feel confident in it as a beat-the-snot-out-of-it keychain light. The ARC has endured much, looks like ***, but keeps lighting up every time I drag it out.

YMMV

Not over keen on you insulting the Germans Richard as there is no need.I lived there and probably will go back there to live.

Your silly quote "As sturdy as a German farmers wife. Unfortunately, about as bright, too."