Klarus MiX6: Swapping the XP-G2 out for an XP-L - Is it possible?

IceNest

Newly Enlightened

First and foremost: I love small, 1xAAA flashlights and that is the main focus of this post. (Although it can extend to extremely compact 1xCR123a lights, too)

In the world of 1xAAA flashlights it seems that despite the fantastic Lm/Watt efficacy of Cree's XM-L2 LEDs, they are just to impractical to be used in such small lights due to the fact that the die is too big to squeeze inside such a small reflector, which is why nearly all 1xAAA lights are fitted with an XP-G2. Cree recently released their new XP-L LED and some manufacturers (eagletac) have already begun to integrate these LEDs into their lights.

Since the XP-L's release, it seems that most of the debate on various forums is about the XP-L vs. XM-L2 and not so much about what I thought cree was intending: the XP-L vs. XP-G2, where I feel the XP-L wins by an obvious margin. (Disclaimer: I am aware that the XP-G2 may have an edge in being a bit throwier, however, within the scope of 1xAAA lights, I feel as if this advantage is irrelevant since 1xAAAs, being as small as they are, are not meant to be throwers.)

Anyways, From what I have gathered, the XP-L seems to have the same emitter as the XM-L2, but in a ~50% smaller, XP-G2 package. EXCELLENT, right? Now I can finally have XM-L2 performance in my 1xAAA lights! I'm quite certain that manufacturer's such as 4Seven's, Klarus, Nitecore, etc. are ready to replace the XP-G2s with new XP-L LEDs in all of my favorite 1xAAA, usually key chain oriented lights.

I simply cannot wait. Since the standalone XP-L emitters are already becoming widely available from vendors such as Cutter and DigiKey, my question is can I swap out the XP-G2 die in my Klarus MiX6 with an XP-L die purchased from one of these online vendors? Using Cree's product characterization tool it seems that at any given forward voltage, the XP-G2 and the XP-L will have nearly identical current draw, and vice versa. This makes them seem quite interchangeable in terms of placing the XP-L on Klarus' circuit board and having it powered by a circuit that was designed for the XP-G2. I am experienced with soldering if that becomes necessary and love to dismantle and modify electronics if that helps.

If i'm missing something here please let me know! This is also my first post.

Thanks guys!

TEEJ

Flashaholic

First and foremost: I love small, 1xAAA flashlights and that is the main focus of this post. (Although it can extend to extremely compact 1xCR123a lights, too)

In the world of 1xAAA flashlights it seems that despite the fantastic Lm/Watt efficacy of Cree's XM-L2 LEDs, they are just to impractical to be used in such small lights due to the fact that the die is too big to squeeze inside such a small reflector, which is why nearly all 1xAAA lights are fitted with an XP-G2. Cree recently released their new XP-L LED and some manufacturers (eagletac) have already begun to integrate these LEDs into their lights.

Since the XP-L's release, it seems that most of the debate on various forums is about the XP-L vs. XM-L2 and not so much about what I thought cree was intending: the XP-L vs. XP-G2, where I feel the XP-L wins by an obvious margin. (Disclaimer: I am aware that the XP-G2 may have an edge in being a bit throwier, however, within the scope of 1xAAA lights, I feel as if this advantage is irrelevant since 1xAAAs, being as small as they are, are not meant to be throwers.)

Anyways, From what I have gathered, the XP-L seems to have the same emitter as the XM-L2, but in a ~50% smaller, XP-G2 package. EXCELLENT, right? Now I can finally have XM-L2 performance in my 1xAAA lights! I'm quite certain that manufacturer's such as 4Seven's, Klarus, Nitecore, etc. are ready to replace the XP-G2s with new XP-L LEDs in all of my favorite 1xAAA, usually key chain oriented lights.

I simply cannot wait. Since the standalone XP-L emitters are already becoming widely available from vendors such as Cutter and DigiKey, my question is can I swap out the XP-G2 die in my Klarus MiX6 with an XP-L die purchased from one of these online vendors? Using Cree's product characterization tool it seems that at any given forward voltage, the XP-G2 and the XP-L will have nearly identical current draw, and vice versa. This makes them seem quite interchangeable in terms of placing the XP-L on Klarus' circuit board and having it powered by a circuit that was designed for the XP-G2. I am experienced with soldering if that becomes necessary and love to dismantle and modify electronics if that helps.

If i'm missing something here please let me know! This is also my first post.

Thanks guys!

I'm not sure the XP-L and XPG2 will be a direct swap as far as lumen out put, in that the XP-L should produce more lumens at a given drive level....but, as its a floody light application, more lumens is typically not a problem...but artifacts might be, etc, given the depth changes, etc. Assuming heat is not a problem either, you may be fine with that swap as far as output goes at least.

:D

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Answer to you first question - can you swap it. Easy answer is yes - they both have the same sized dies and solder pads.
Will it fit once you swap it - maybe. The silicon lens on the XP-L is much bigger (the size of the whole die) so unless the reflector is wide enough it won't fit through the end of the reflector.
Is it worth is as a XP-L upgrade for the XP-G2 - in my opinion not at all. I've tried the upgrade in a few XP-G/XP-G2 based lights and the results have been nothing short of disappointing. The focus has not been right on as expected and the tint (although both in the 4000K) range was a bit harsh. Now the tint may have had something to do with the poor focus. But overall it would seem that you need a more purpose based design made for the XP-L.
From what I've seen there has been little traction towards people modding there lights to XP-L. A few threads here or there. But no huge take-up like when XP-G went to XP-G2 or XM-L went to XM-L2.