Is Benchmade's quality slipping or did I get a counterfeit?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Someone gave me a Benchmade Griptilian about 6 years ago I carried around for many years without much thought.
I was uber impressed with it though one day dirtbiking deep in the jungle and I got my bike fell in a 8' deep dirt/mud trench. Over the next few hours I used that knife to dig my bike out - I couldn't believe the blade didn't break. I then started paying attention to it and realized what a quality knife it was when it came to even the small detail such as the pocket clip.

Most of my pants have "SAP" pockets that I use to hold both my "XL EDC" flashlight on one side and knife on the other side. It's the "system" I'm used to but it is dependant on high quality pocket clips.

That knife was stolen a few months back so I replaced it with a similar Benchmade. I noticed the pocket clip was pretty weak on that one - fell out of my pocket several times but I found it all but one of those times! :naughty:

Replaced it a few weeks back with the black line Bench made 915 triage knife. I've still got that knife a few weeks later but that knife has the cheapest pocket clip I've ever seen! Absolutely no holding power in it - just sticks out like a useless limb.

I paid about $240 USD for it - high quality store, box/info all looked high class and legit but am still thinking possibly I got a counterfeit?

I'm more prone to believe they are doing what so many manufactures seem to be doing now days... cashing in their good reputation to make a quick buck; thinking/hoping customers wont notice a "few minor shortcuts"...

Anyway to know for sure?

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a triage that I carry every day I'm on the truck and haven't had any issues in over a year. I would call or email benchmade about it. They are very serous about their product not being counterfeited, although not as serious as spyderco.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would help if you informed us how you obtained said knife. I know places like Ebay are full of fake & counterfeit items. Discerning the real from fakes can be hard. Especially when they show pictures of real products and ship fakes.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I bought it at a fairly large, professional looking outdoor gear store in Malaysia. They carry tons of Benchmade, Spyderco and other knives.

Box and packaging looked real good. Price - slightly suspect as knives are often 3x the price back home in the US... so $240 felt like paying $80.

Malaysia is huge in counterfeiting - but those tend to be night/outdoor market types of things. I'm still sitting on the fence with this one.

I contacted Benchmade to see if said store is in fact a official distribuitor. That wouldn't PROVE it was legit or not but could be helpful.