+ pure lithium anode cells

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Pure Lithium? No thanks. Lithium is so volatile which was why Sony abandoned this exact technology for ionic compounds.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Candlepowerforums mobile app

PierceTheNight

Newly Enlightened
AFAIK Li-ion tech started with pure lithium anodes, but the safety issues forced research into alternative methods. The idea of low-voltage electricity producing a pure alkali metal in the palm of your hand is quite amazing, normally extremely high temperatures are necessary.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
And, pure Lithium is capable of generating lot of currents, as long as it (the metallic alloy or pure electrode) has good surfaces area for electrons to move towards Cathode alloy electrode. Thus the popularity of Li-ion batteries as the source of electrical energy.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

The breakthrough is protecting the anode::

from Forbes article..
The researchers achieved this by building 'nanospheres' – protective layers of interconnected carbon domes on top of the pure lithium anode. Each layer has a honeycomb structure which is flexible, uniform and non-reactive which both stops the lithium ions expanding too much and the anode reacting with the electrode. Remarkably the nanosphere in each battery is just 20 nanometers thick – 1/5,000th the width of a human hair.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
What about the "unexpectedly" and "unexplainable"? If the cell casing splits open, and Lithium sticks into the air, it will then mean Oxygen + Lithium = KA-BOOM! Hopefully they know this fact because "it" was why Sony abandoned pure Lithium electrode as most of their hardwares (Pentium laptop for example) went up in the smoke back in 1995 - 1996 timeline before they were forced to develop Lithium-ion batteries we now know and use.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
^

The understanding of technology a few years ago is prerequisite reading, not to mention 20...........................................
the advanced chemical engineering department at Stanford likely got the memo

Last edited:

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
True. I am going to see how they deal with the unknowns and gremlins along the way.

Sent from my XT907 using Candlepowerforums mobile app