Olight R20 Seeker review (600 lm,XM-L2 CW,18650 **)

viperxp

Enlightened
Greetings all.
This review will be dedicated to a new flashlight from Olight, the R20 Seeker. Actually the flashlight is so new, that I could not find any information about it on the official website.

So, what's so interesting about the flashlight?

I think that the flashlight has some interesting features.

1. Built in lithium battery charger (proprietary battery comes with the flashlight as standard)
2. Flashlight can be operated with a regular 18650, but cannot charge it.
3. Unusually "clean" design - I think that if Apple would decide to create a flashlight it would look somewhat similar.
4. After 5 minutes of work the flashlight steps down to a modest 400 lm setting.

ib17cx8llqCYCN.png

Tech. specs

Product name:Olight R20 Seeker CREE XM-L2 LED Flashlight
Brand:Olight
Model:R20 Seeker
Emitter BrandCREE
Emitter Type:XM-L2
Material:Aircraft-grade aluminum body
Total Emitters:1
Mode:high,low,strobe
Runtime:2.5h(h),12h(L)
Battery Configurations:1 x 18650 battery(included)
Switch Type:clicky
Switch Location:tail of the flashlight
Impact Resistant1.5meters
Brightness:600lumens(high),80lumens(low)
Range:200meters
Lens:anti-reflection coating on
double side of tempered glass
Reflector:smooth reflector
Carrying Strap:yes
Waterproof:IPX-8 waterproof 2 meters
Color:black
Weight:86g without battery
Size:136mm x 31.5mm(length x body diameter)

Features:
1.charging indicator will glow red while charging and green when fully charged
2.Features a protective ring-cover sleeve over the micro-USB port to block out debris and water
3.Easily accessible lock -out feature with half -turn of the tail-cap to prevent accidental activation
4.Powered by an included 2600mAh lithium-ion rechargeable 18650 battery.

Package included:
1 x Olight R20 Seeker CREE XM-L2 LED Flashlight
1 x 2600mah 18650 battery
1 x car charger

Let's start

isobeCGCtbc5Y.png
i7JMMdHfMRfgs.png

iTd5pxK52jIWW.png
iyenBe4xKjtq.png

The flashlight comes in a see-thru box with lot's of information printed on it. It is easy to have a good idea about the looks of the flashlight without actually opening the box.

ib15Zqep715bG6.png
ibjoAj03pslzRT.png

The see-thru box has a little black box with bundled goodies inside. It contains a car adapter (1A, Olight branded), a lanyard, charging cable,user manual and some other Olight flashlights commercials.

iru4peFxUemdu.png
ibqvvAK4a63byN.png

A very decent manual written in a good English. Please note the runtime graph - the light steps down to a 400 lm setting after 5 minutes of work.

ibfpfnNtvIq6rN.png
i5LIgOtWdC4M6.png
i65xyol63tv4t.png
ibm7WyyxJkaml7.png

As I noted before - the flashlight is very sleek, it is a pleasure to look at and to hold such a flashlight. The quality is flawless to my opinion.

ibvmWt8ed2HHdv.png
ieZjQFPslH9kT.png

The charging jack is secured behind an aluminium opening. The opening itself is threaded, and lubricated - feels very secure.
ibdfGIFGWtV66H.png
iUaMcwKpYhgsk.png
ibv5GtcdXGXof8.png

Only the tail-cap can be removed. The proprietary battery comes installed in the flashlight from the factory.

ib1YPMLWmy81aL.png
ibsJZtiKwIGFtE.png

Clever protection circuit does not allow the flashlight to charge non- Olight customized cells. My DMM showed that the positive lead actually consists from positive and negative leads - the positive is in the middle.

ibwXM3TnJ0K1Fd.png
i5Rsyvm8t0WBm.png

The threads are square-cut and anodised. In the flashlight we can see the springs that are contacting both leads of the proprietary cell.

irRwgFq6dt1yI.png
ibjVSKAQXSbctl.png

When charging the red indicator lits, when done it turnes green. In final charging stages the current was 0.7-0.8 A, so using a good USB power source is recommended.

inoM4TCJuoaPP.png

A clean reflector, inside and outside. The anti-reflective coating can easily be seen.

i3OMk4Se43d1o.png
ibmd5wccaGu35r.png

ibxiAnw55aper3.png

The flashlight accompanied by some other flashlights. It is definitely pocket-able.

Controls

The flashlight is controlled by a tactical button - you need to set the modes before turning the lights on. It allways starts at low mode, double pressing the button enables the "high" mode, triple click enables strobe mode.

Some numbers (lumens in a hotspot from a distance of a meter)

Flashlight/ModeLowMidMediumHighTurbo
Olight R20 Seeker190010300
JETBeam RRT26 white6010700
Dipper BD02800--520015000
Thrunite TN 12 2014 (1050 lm)21452670750010000
Nitecore P12 (950 lm)8480-19838950
Olight M18 Striker1300---6200
PKFL2LE485---9500
IMALENT EU067n/an/an/a14000
М22 Warrior-4307500-19500

A very decent output for such a flashlight, I thought the output would be lower. Throw - vise it is somewhat similar with P12 and TN12 flashlights, and the numbers prove it. I am unable to do a decent outdoor beamshots now, maybe I will add them later.

PWM/Noise

In the low mode I could detect a pwm on a frequency of 955 Hz, it can't be noticed without instruments by most people, so that's not an issue. The HIGH mode is PWM free. The flashlight is completely silent on all modes.

Conclusion

A very decent flashlight, I think it can be a great present to someone that does not own a lot of lithium batteries and don't want to start figuring out how to charge them.

I would like to thank Olight for providing me the flashlight for review.

Thank you for reading. If you have any questions/suggestions I will be happy to hear and assist. My English is far from being perfect, so... sorry for the typos.
-----------------------------------------------------------

wolf_walker

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to bump and old thread, but Google fails me, is the included customized rechargeable battery available anywhere online?
Did not find reference to it from Olight, Amazon, Google search, etc, etc. I understand that particular battery is the only one
that can be charged in the light.

kj2

Flashaholic
Sorry to bump and old thread, but Google fails me, is the included customized rechargeable battery available anywhere online?
Did not find reference to it from Olight, Amazon, Google search, etc, etc. I understand that particular battery is the only one
that can be charged in the light.

Jup, you need the custom Olight battery. My dealer sells it, but doesn't ship outside the country. Where are you located?

wolf_walker

Newly Enlightened
USA Nothing on Olight's site or elsewhere that I could find, even searching for the part number shown in reviews. I did just notice the 4sevens MMR-X is very similar and does list a replacement battery that uses the same contact
point configuration. I'd be surprised if they are not interchangeable. I was mostly considering one or the other and didn't want to end up not being able to buy
a rechargeable battery for it in a year or two.

Edit: looks like same cell design in the S30R II as well.

Last edited:

wolf_walker

Newly Enlightened
Will do, fwiw olight responded to an inquiry via their homepage this morning saying they don't offer it separately right now.