Seeking something like the long-departed CMG Task Light in colors

IanJ

Newly Enlightened
Aeons ago, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and before Gerber snapped them up, a company called CMG made a light called the Infinity Task Light. Very similar in size and shape to the current Gerber Infinity Task Light.

The key features were a (now typical) indestructible aluminum body using a single AA battery, and a traditional water-clear LED, in various colors. At one point, I know they had white, yellow, red, orange, blue, green, blue-green (my favorite), and maybe purple LEDs.

Fortunately, I still have a blue-green, green, and red model in my collection, and guard them jealously. They all share a secret: they won't blow out your night vision, and they last for years on a battery, at least as often as I use them. They're also dead simple, with nothing to break. A twist-on head is the only control. There's only one mode. There are no extra LEDs to accidentally switch on, blinding you when all you wanted was to see something briefly in the dark.

I carry the blue-green model as my EDC back-up and low-light flashlight, along with the flavor of the month for a high-powered white light (currently a Fenix E11, although I just ordered a ThruNite Archer 1a which I'm curious to check out).

The question is, does anyone make anything like this now? Does anyone value making a single-purpose flashlight that lasts a zillion hours on one AA, throws a weak, monochromatic beam, and is built to drop off moving trucks unscathed? The industry has figured out the indestructible thing, but low power and long life seem to have fallen by the wayside in the rush to brighter and hotter white LEDs.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but there are a few lights still designed primarily for low output / long runtime ... McGizmo Sapphire (AAA), Muyshondt Mako (AAA), Pak-Lite (9V), Peak (many options available, including AA), etc.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
I still have my infinity ultra, still gets used by the Grandkids when they stay over. Good luck finding something similar, I"ll be watching to see what suggestions you receive,

Norm

Norm

Retired Administrator
This isn't a sales thread, one post deleted. Please post in the Marketplace.

Norm

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I share your desire. I have made many a version from cheap AA lights, swapping the LED out for a coloured one mostly but they won't survive a drop from height like the IU's.

Unfortunately it is a bit apparent that this is a niche market and costs don't match sales. Well I paid double for my last IU compared to the one I bought years ago and I think there are many of us out there that will pay more for one.

IanJ

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, looks like there's not enough demand. Everyone seems to want bigger and brighter.

an_abstraction

Newly Enlightened
There's nothing currently on the market which mimics the old CMG's.... everyone moved away from 5mm LEDs a while ago, especially colored LEDs.

For older lights, there was the Inova X1 (generation 2) which ran on a single AA battery forever. It had a runtime curve very similar to the CMG. There is also the ARC AA but they are hard to come by and are usually expensive when they do show up.

The best you're going to find is in the AAA format, notable the ARC AAA and the Fenix E01. Both use 5mm LEDs and have a long runtime on a single AAA. These types of lights are my favorite for the reasons you described: easy on night vision, bombproof build quality with a simple twisty switch, and extra long runtimes on a single cell.

On the upside, manufacturers usually include very low-lumen modes on current lights with updated high-flux emitters. The best fit for your needs is the L3 Illumination L10. It's very similar construction to the CMG, and best of all, has a .09 lumen mode that runs for 147 hours and a 3 lumen mode that runs for 30 hours off a single AA battery. You also have an option for 2 higher-lumen modes if needed (30 and 120 lumens). You also get a choice of a warm white Nichia or cool white Cree emitter. I view it as an updated CMG Infinity Ultra or Gerber Infinity Ultra. It's also a a great price point ($25).... I think you would be very happy with one.