Looking for Single 18650 dive light host

jfy21086

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm after an inexpensive dive host for a powerfull backup light (prefered material would be aluminum) for a while now, but I just can't find the right one.

The specifications that I want:

- Single 18650
- Want to use XM-L2 U2
- 1 Mode or 3 Mode driver, 1 Mode preferred
- Should be rated for at least 50m depths
- Magnetic Switch

Also, can someone recommend a driver that pushes the XM-L2 U2 to it's limits (3,5A) ?

Thanks in advance

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a single 18650 just use AMC7135 driver chips. You will need 10 of them for 3.5amps
But even using a Panasonic 3400mah cell you will not get an hour from it.

HiMax X5 and Brinyte DIV08 and DIV05 meet your requirements. The Brinyte already uses AMC 7135 chips. Just add more.

jfy21086

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

thanks for the answers so far. I knew about the Brinyte lights, Himax is new to me. But for both of them I can't find a single vendor that's selling only the body. Does anyone where to get only the bodies? China would be fine, actually i would prefer it since it's cheaper, because I'm in no rush.

Thanks

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

thanks for the answers so far. I knew about the Brinyte lights, Himax is new to me. But for both of them I can't find a single vendor that's selling only the body. Does anyone where to get only the bodies? China would be fine, actually i would prefer it since it's cheaper, because I'm in no rush.

Thanks

I cant imaging anyone is only going to sell a body. And Im not sure why you want a bare body. You will still need all the other parts as well.

To be honest I doubt you would see much improvement by changing out the LED to a top bin one and putting a bit more current through it.

jfy21086

Newly Enlightened
To be honest I doubt you would see much improvement by changing out the LED to a top bin one and putting a bit more current through it.

That's why I wanted the bare body. To keep it cheap and have the fun of building it. I often see flashlight bodies with reflectors sold by chinese vendors. But there is rarely a suitable dive light among them

southernson

Newly Enlightened
For a single 18650 just use AMC7135 driver chips. You will need 10 of them for 3.5amps
But even using a Panasonic 3400mah cell you will not get an hour from it.

HiMax X5 and Brinyte DIV08 and DIV05 meet your requirements. The Brinyte already uses AMC 7135 chips. Just add more.

+ 1 for the Brinyte DIV08. I've recently acquired one of these myself - and the last two weekends that I've been cave diving I haven't even taken my heavy bulky 10W HID canister with me. I've been very happy with this light so far. FWIW I've had no experience with the HiMax X5. Others seem to be getting at least an hour no problems on full power out of them.