Looking for a small light that will disappear in my pocket that uses 1 cr123

mtngoat

Newly Enlightened
OK folks, I've got several larger lights - Fenix E35UE, Streamlight Protac 2L, Protac 2AA, Terralux Lightstar Trucolor, Nitecore SRT3.......the lists goes on. I am looking for a good backup light that I carry everyday, disappears in my pocket, 100 to 200+ lumen (work in dark holes a lot) and runs on 1 cr123 (most of my lights run these so they are on hand). Also priced below $100.00 and prefer tail clicky

I am looking at but not limited to:
Quark QPL
Streamlight Protac 1L

I originally got the SRT3 for thus but its a little big to dissapear in pocket plus its my primary right now.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix E15: 2.34" x .78"
4-7 Atom: 1.84" x .77"

QUark QPL: 3.2" x .86"
SL Protac 1L: 3.4: x .9"
Nitecore SRT3: 3.9" x 1"

Just for comparison sake to the models you referenced; idk if you really meant disappear as in small as possible, or just small as possible without sacrificing forward clicky for momentary, bigger diameter head for more throw etc.

dansranch

Newly Enlightened
OK folks, I've got several larger lights - Fenix E35UE, Streamlight Protac 2L, Protac 2AA, Terralux Lightstar Trucolor, Nitecore SRT3.......the lists goes on. I am looking for a good backup light that I carry everyday, disappears in my pocket, 100 to 200+ lumen (work in dark holes a lot) and runs on 1 cr123 (most of my lights run these so they are on hand). Also priced below $100.00 and prefer tail clicky

I am looking at but not limited to:
Quark QPL
Streamlight Protac 1L

I originally got the SRT3 for thus but its a little big to dissapear in pocket plus its my primary right now.

Thanks for the help.

I have the Streamlight ProTac 1L and the Olight S10 Baton.. Love 'em both!

The Olight is: just as bright as the Streamlight Pro-Tac 1L, but the beam is a little 'floodier' and a little warmer in color temp.. The Streamlight has better 'throw' 50 yards into the back woods, but inside the house the Olight wins. The Olight has drivers that will take RCR voltage. Streamlight says not to do that on theirs, but in fairness that is just the party line at Streamlight Corp, because everyone runs RCRs in them and has no problem..

The Olight light has such an excellent UI and the Moonlight mode that you can get direct from the ON switch at any time is a life saver around the house in the middle of the night when you don't want to blast your night adjusted eyes! The Streamlight UI is actually same as many of their Tactical lights, and that is really not the best on a little light like this, I mean do you really need a High Strobe on a little pocket light? You can reset it to Low/High?No Strobe using the TenTap programming and that is what I am sure most folks do. Don't know why you need the tail clicky.. On a little light like this the Olight button is the cats meow. Try it, you'll like it !

Both are high quality light, fit and finish, .. on the Olight excellent machining down to a screw in bezel that look like it is made from stainless steel. You can't go wrong with either, so I think you should buy both, and you are still well under the $100 budget.

Last edited:

mtngoat

Newly Enlightened
Any thoughts on the Olight TC10 &15 Transformer?

Leon, the light doesn't have to be a clicky but it is preferred, I use momentary a lot

archimedes

Flashaholic
As a true "backup" light, I like the Peak Logan 17500 (with momentary switch & CR123A adapter), for this. Reasons include durability / reliability (potted electronics), very long runtime on low (the QTC is very efficient), simplicity (no modes, just QTC variable output), and flexible battery choices. In an emergency, you could just take out the adapter to run on any AA cell (at lower max output) :thumbsup:

Peace Train

Enlightened
The Olight light has such an excellent UI and the Moonlight mode that you can get direct from the ON switch at any time is a life saver around the house in the middle of the night when you don't want to blast your night adjusted eyes! The Streamlight UI is actually same as many of their Tactical lights, and that is really not the best on a little light like this, I mean do you really need a High Strobe on a little pocket light? You can reset it to Low/High?No Strobe using the TenTap programming and that is what I am sure most folks do. Don't know why you need the tail clicky.. On a little light like this the Olight button is the cats meow. Try it, you'll like it !

+1 The Olight S10 is one of the smaller (est?) single cell 123 lights with a beautiful beam. The more I use it, the more I really enjoy all its features. Check out youtube for flashlight comparisons to help you decide.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
IMO the Olight is more likely to come on in the pocket with the side switch even if the switch is "locked out" and if you get the Ti version there is no tailcap lockout available. I have it. The Four Sevens Atom AL is the smallest I know of and works well. Lube the threads and O ring. All flood with a very wide beam with no center hot spot. Best User Interface in this category to me is the Sunwayman V11R but it is fairly long at 85mm or 3.3" while the Atom is 1.9", the shortest. The V11R is continuously variable output via a magnetic ring user interface from < 1 lumen to quite bright. Choice depends on your personal preferences.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO the Olight is more likely to come on in the pocket with the side switch even if the switch is "locked out" and if you get the Ti version there is no tailcap lockout available. I have it. The Four Sevens Atom AL is the smallest I know of and works well. Lube the threads and O ring. All flood with a very wide beam with no center hot spot. Best User Interface in this category to me is the Sunwayman V11R but it is fairly long at 85mm or 3.3" while the Atom is 1.9", the shortest. The V11R is continuously variable output via a magnetic ring user interface from < 1 lumen to quite bright. Choice depends on your personal preferences.

Do you have a problem with your Olight coming on in your pocket then?

Peace Train

Enlightened
Olight s10: 2.9" x .9"

I've got the s10ti coming in at 2.78" x 0.88" x 0.84" (70.10 mm x 22.35 mm x 21.33 mm). Of course, the Atom AL is considerably smaller, coming in at 1.84" x .77" (46.74 mm x 19.56 mm). The Atom will definitely disappear in your pocket and meets your 100 lumen criteria.

Peace Train

Enlightened
Do you have a problem with your Olight coming on in your pocket then?

I've never had a problem with it coming on in mine, nor have I ever used the lockout feature. Of course the tightness of your jeans could be the determining factor here. :D

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a problem with it coming on in mine, nor have I ever used the lockout feature. Of course the tightness of your jeans could be the determining factor here. :D

I was expecting the reply to come from the poster and not you. but at least your answer makes far more sense.

Bob Damon

Enlightened
The S10 is great. I alternate the S10 with a Armytek Tiara C1 (CR123/RCR123). The Tiara has a great pocket clip that allows you to clip it to your pants pocket, or to a shirt pocket or hat for hands free use. The Tiara has an angled head on a body about the size of the S10.