How do you describe this hobby without sounding nuts?

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Real friends shouldn't care, and family has to put up with you. So I simply wouldn't worry about it.

If I am explaining it, I usually go with comparing it to stamp collecting. People spend hundreds, thousands, or hundreds of thousands for something that literally has no use whatsoever. I, on the other hand, have a useful tool. Sure, I might have more tools than I need, but at least they have a purpose.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the benefit of selling these tools also, so it works out for me! I tell folks that I'm doing "research" whenever a new light comes out.

Sometimes when asked about the lights I carry, when not in a sale environment, I point out that if it was going rain would they carry an umbrella? It gets dark every night so why not a flashlight? and if you carry a flashlight why not have a backup? And after Hurricane Sandy hit us how much did they come in handy?

I basically try to make them think they're weird for NOT having multiple flashlight!

GearDog

Newly Enlightened
I have the benefit of selling these tools also, so it works out for me! I tell folks that I'm doing "research" whenever a new light comes out.

Sometimes when asked about the lights I carry, when not in a sale environment, I point out that if it was going rain would they carry an umbrella? It gets dark every night so why not a flashlight? and if you carry a flashlight why not have a backup? And after Hurricane Sandy hit us how much did they come in handy?

I basically try to make them think they're weird for NOT having multiple flashlight!

Good arguments!

What I have decided is my real interest is personal and home security, and lighting is one of the tools, along with alarms, cameras, pepper-spray, firearms. Spotlights are good on the outside of a house, and flashlights increase security while you are walking in dark places. They can also be mounted to firearms if you need to use one when something goes bump in the night.

I'm also increasingly doing handyman work, and flashlights have become an extremely valuable tool while working on appliances, computers, or any construction project. Along with a multi-tool, I often keep a flashlight in my pocket.

If the technology never changed it would probably get boring, but new lights are released all the time.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. I don't even try.

+1. I don't tell people I collect lights (I really don't collect, I use what I have and rotate stock fairly often), or that I enjoy high end lights. They never will "get it".

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like any sick & twisted hobby, keep it to yourself. It's nobody's business. If the cops come knocking at your door, hide your lights and demand to see a search warrant.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just another one of my idiosyncrasies. Friends and family are pretty used to it now that they've seen how handy EDCing a light can be.
Owning multiple pocket knives .... That's another story.

The bottom line is that I don't feel a need to explain, people collect all sorts of near useless things, mostly just because they like them. Mine are useful tools. I've been getting drawn into old Axes lately, now try to explain that when you live in the suburbs.

m_yo

Newly Enlightened
I came from Firearms to knives and now dabbling into lights. Why? because the last 2 are easier to hide from the wife.....but as for explaining it to the wife.....The time has not come yet. Also they're fun to use and everyday I get a chance to fondle and use my cool toys!

Poppy

Flashaholic
I suppose, one could ask, WHY do people have hobbies?

L. Ron Hubbard, said in his book, The Problems Of Work: How to Solve Them and Succeed - that people NEED to work at something or they will go insane. He points to the torture of solitary confinement and the lack of human interaction, and the lack of something productive to do, and that it may cause insanity. He goes on to say that people need to work at something, even if it is volunteer work, or a hobby, such as building models. It is a break from the mundane.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My other hobbies are yo yo tricks and tying knots. My family hates to travel with me because I like to do yo yo tricks to relax before the flight. They sit as far away from me as possible. I make key fobs with two spherical knots. I buy those little key chain cell lights in batches of 50. Again, my family won't use them.

In comparison, having a flashlight with me is fine with them. Although there were a few trips when I took too many and that embarrassed them. We were late for a dinner reservation because it took me too long to pick the light I wanted to carry that night. And we were in a city with so much light pollution that I never even used the light.

It is not destructive (self or to others). But perhaps best kept as a secret except to close friends.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
My other hobbies are yo yo tricks and tying knots. My family hates to travel with me because I like to do yo yo tricks to relax before the flight. They sit as far away from me as possible. I make key fobs with two spherical knots. I buy those little key chain cell lights in batches of 50. Again, my family won't use them.

Love your stories :thumbsup:

As a hobby, my dad used to do "slight of hand" magic tricks, and some card tricks, to entertain, and pass the time when needed. After all, who doesn't like a good joke now and then?

When in high school, I was particularly good at science and math. I'd finish a two hour Chem lab in 15-20 minutes without being particularly careful about measurements, make an observation, and later when handing in the lab report, I'd "reverse engineer" the math, and introduce a 3-4% error, and as a group, we'd all get A's. So we had plenty of time to flirt with the girls, and to tell jokes. It became important to me to learn new jokes, and remember them so that I could contribute to the fun.

Unfortunately after a year of that, it seems that I have heard a variation of just about all the jokes that have ever been told, or I can guess the punch line. That in a way, ruined it for me. However, I can still sit at a party, and share jokes with others, and enjoy, their amusement.

------------------------
I can absolutely relate to the kids NOT WANTING TO BE SEEN WITH ME Here's my story.

We used to live very near to New York City. Each year Macy's (a large clothing department store chain) put on a Thanksgiving Day Parade, with marching bands, huge character balloons, floats, and celebrity entertainers. One year, my wife and I took the kids, then about 8 and 13 years old. As is often the case, it was a cold, damp, miserable day that threatened to rain. I usually like to "Be Prepared" (as is the Boy Scout motto). I wore an insulated mechanic's jump suit, and this really NOT stylish hat. It was blue fleece, covered the back of my neck, and came down over my ears - it was warm, and comfortable. I also carried two spackle buckets with covers. One filled with rain gear, and additional warm clothing, and the other with a thermos each of hot chocolate and camomile tea with honey, cookies, and snacks.

Needless to say, no one would walk with me. I heard my daughter tell my wife... "Let him walk ahead, I don't want anyone to know that he is with us!" I guess I was too hideous looking to be seen with. :rolleyes:

Well the beauty of spackle buckets is that they make a nice seat, are easy to carry, and keep the contents dry. If need-be, they can be used as a short step stool. The original plan was to get to the parade early enough to get a front row seat, and (in my mind) be able to sit on the buckets. Hahahaha... get some where early? :crackup:

OK... so we get there, and the crowds are five people deep to the curb. Immediately, my son took one of the buckets, placed it on the ground, and stepped up. He could see beautifully :thumbsup:

My daughter on the other hand, stood in front of me, on her tippy toes, moving her head back and forth, trying to see a break in the line of heads in front of her, to see what was going on in the parade. Then, she would turn around and look at the OTHER bucket next to my leg. Noooo! She couldn't!!! She continued to struggle for glimpses of the parade, and then... she'd look at the bucket... Hmmm. More struggling glimpses. THEN.... I had ONE of those glorious moments. :grin2:

Last year, when she took her two boys, she carried two spackle buckets. :thumbsup: :)

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. I don't even try.

this. i dont even try to tell people anymore, i act very casual about my flashlight hobby, to the point of hiding it. even when they show interest and ask me about it, i refrain from getting into a deep conversation about it. usually ill say something along the lines of "its a surefire. i like it" and thats about it.

i think the only time i will talk about it, is if i met someone that was also a flashaholic, which has not happened yet besides here in CPF.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You carry an umbrella when there's a 50% chance of rain. Well, everyday there's a 100% chance of darkness.
Nope. Its starting to get dark sometime during the next months. So i can say its a 100% chance it wont be dark at all tonight:) But when it really gets dark, its dark all day for a period. My flashlight season starts at autumn and last all winter. But i still edc when the midnight sun is up. Now that gives funny looks. Carrying a light in the land of the midnight sun.