Commercial-grade PAR replacement LED bulbs

TPA

Enlightened
We have offices with PAR bulbs in high-use areas. As you're probably aware, PAR halogens have a short lifespan and as a result it seems like we're constantly replacing them.

So, I'm trying to find something equivalent to replace them with.

Currently in use:
50w GU10
50w PAR16
50w PAR20
75w PAR30 short-necks
100w PAR38

Flood / narrow flood / wider spot would be fine for most of them.

I'm not entirely opposed to mis-lamping some of these, like using PAR20s in the PAR30 fixtures, etc. BUT I want quality light sources. I've tried some of the offerings from the local orange box & blue box stores, but they're crappy at best either suffering poor output and/or poor reliability.

Any suggestions? Anyone out there doing commercial building maintenance and found a solution for this? I saw some nice ones over at Chipotle the other night, Eco-Story, but haven't found a good source for them.

Dr Evil

Newly Enlightened
I have a Sylvania and EcoSmart PAR30. One above one shower and the other above the other shower. I also have some Sylvania and EcoSmart PAR38s outside. I have been very satisfied with all of them. Cree now has PAR38s along with BR30s at HD. I picked up one of the Cree PAR38 47 degree bulbs. I haven't tried it out yet. Have you checked out Polar Ray or EarthLED? They quite a variety and both places have great rep.Both also offer a 30 day full refund satisfaction guarantee.

oldwesty4ever

Newly Enlightened
From what I've observed, the Philips LEDs have the lowest failure rate of all the LED based PARs I've seen in use. If I were me however, I would use the GE HIR Plus halogens that are rated at 8400 hours and are available at Home Depot or even the Newcandescent long life incandescent floodlights but that's just me. LEDs are just not close enough for my taste but you need to see what suits the best for you. Philips LEDs are also sold at Home Depot.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
We have offices with PAR bulbs in high-use areas. As you're probably aware, PAR halogens have a short lifespan and as a result it seems like we're constantly replacing them.

So, I'm trying to find something equivalent to replace them with.

Currently in use:
50w GU10
50w PAR16
50w PAR20
75w PAR30 short-necks
100w PAR38

Flood / narrow flood / wider spot would be fine for most of them.

I'm not entirely opposed to mis-lamping some of these, like using PAR20s in the PAR30 fixtures, etc. BUT I want quality light sources. I've tried some of the offerings from the local orange box & blue box stores, but they're crappy at best either suffering poor output and/or poor reliability.

Any suggestions? Anyone out there doing commercial building maintenance and found a solution for this? I saw some nice ones over at Chipotle the other night, Eco-Story, but haven't found a good source for them.

How high is your ceiling? Are these lamps being used in recessed fixtures? If you can have an air pocket around the lamp for cooling, (example: PAR 30 in a PAR 38 fixture), go with CFL or LED in BR30 if your ceiling is less than 12'. If higher, go with LED in narrow flood form (using a spot lamp will leave hot spots on the floor unless your ceiling is over 20').

TPA

Enlightened
DrEvil: I've seen the EcoSmart bulbs at Home Depot but having experienced Feit & Lights of America LED bulbs, I was planning on steering clear of any off-brands. Too many early failures and poor light output. I want quality. Some of these are going to be in-use 24/7, some outdoors in the 95F+ Florida heat. I have a couple of the Cree BR30 bulbs at home. Happy with them actually, but in this case I need the focus of a PAR bulb. The BR30 bulbs are just too diffuse. I also would like to stick around 3000K-3500K. The rooms were designed and painted with 3000K-3500K lighting in mind.

oldwesty4ever: I'll keep that in mind. It's been awhile since I've looked over their product line but the few I tried seemed a bit weak in the lumens department compared to the halogen PARs they replaced. It's been awhile so I'll give them another look. I did look at the GE bulbs you referenced and they do look interesting in lifespan, but I see how they achieved it -- reduced the wattage and run the filament cooler. As a result they have a 2700K color temp vs. the 3000K and lower lumens than normally seen with halogens. Unfortunately the original designs for the office assumed light bulbs would remain the same color temp and same or better lumens, so there isn't any wiggle-room to go dimmer.

Lightdoctor: Generally 9 foot ceilings. Some recessed, some track. All of them are either focused on objects or walls, so I don't have to worry about hot spots on the floor. I found a few boxes from old bulbs:
PAR20 - 50 watt, 550 lumen, 40 degree beam, 2950K. (could go narrower beam if need be)
PAR30s - 75w, 1100 lumen, 40 degree beam, 2900K, only 4" deep.
GU10 MR16s are 50w, 550 lumen, 50 degree beam, 3000K, although these I have a bit more wiggle room.

Those 3 bulbs handle the majority of the heavy lifting & extended use for the office, which means I'm always changing them. The lighting design didn't leave any "excess" lumens or fixtures, so when one goes out it's rather noticeable and needs to be changed quickly to prevent disruptions.

brickbat

Enlightened
I'd like to be proven wrong, but from what I've seen it's too soon to replace 50W GU10 MR16 lamps with LED. LED efficacy isn't high enough to allow for comfortably low temperatures needed for long life.

Last edited:

Latest posts