Looking for a new charger recommendation

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
My I4 Pro just failed on me and I am looking to replace it. Honestly, I liked the I4 but after having it fail I would rather not buy the same one again. I am looking for the following features:

• Ability to charge 4 x 3.7V Li-ion. 18650 (up to and including Fasttech 3400mAh Panasonic cells) and as small as 16340.
  • Ability to charge NiMH is not absolutely required but would be appreciated.
  • Powered by 120 VAC normally but also having the option to run off 12 VDC.
  • LCD display for more detailed data would be appreciated.
  • Cost: Under $50 ideally

Thanks

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing dramatic it just wouldn't properly light up or function one day and smelled faintly of burnt electronics. It hadn't seen much real use, probably charged 18650s less than 20 times on it.

stokaboka

Newly Enlightened
Xtar vp2 is nice. LCD displays charging amps and cell voltage. Charging current is selectable from .25A to 1A so anything from 26650 to 10440 is handled well. LiFePO4 is also supported if you're into that. Can be found for $50.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xtar vp2 is nice. Charging current is selectable from .25A to 1A so anything from 26650 to 10440 is handled well.

I have one, and I agree it is a very nice charger. But it doesn't meet the criteria - it only has two bays, and the OP specifically asked for a four-bay charger. Nor does it have support for NiMH.

HKJ

Flashaholic
My I4 Pro just failed on me and I am looking to replace it. Honestly, I liked the I4 but after having it fail I would rather not buy the same one again. I am looking for the following features:

• Ability to charge 4 x 3.7V Li-ion. 18650 (up to and including Fasttech 3400mAh Panasonic cells) and as small as 16340.
  • Ability to charge NiMH is not absolutely required but would be appreciated.
  • Powered by 120 VAC normally but also having the option to run off 12 VDC.
  • LCD display for more detailed data would be appreciated.
  • Cost: Under $50 ideally

Thanks

The i4 2014 is a new design another possibility is the Xtar XP4c (Review in a week or two).

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one, and I agree it is a very nice charger. But it doesn't meet the criteria - it only has two bays, and the OP specifically asked for a four-bay charger. Nor does it have support for NiMH.

The VP2 does look very nice. I especially like the fact that it has USB output for charging, how well does that feature work? I only wish it had 4-bays.

The MCC-4 looks good as well.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
The VP2 does look very nice. I especially like the fact that it has USB output for charging, how well does that feature work? I only wish it had 4-bays.

The MCC-4 looks good as well.

I've never used the USB output. If I travel, I bring enough cells so I don't need to recharge on road, and at home I have better ways. The USB output only works when it is disconnected from AC power.

If you want to know details about it, you can read all about the charger here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?385459-Test-Review-of-Charger-Xtar-VP2

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Another vote for the Thrunite MCC4. I have two of these, one at home, and one in the office. They work very well with 18650 as well as AA and AAA NiMH, and can be counted on to terminate reliably. My only complaint is that C cells just barely fit, and must be watched constantly to ensure that they do not slip off the contacts. Make sure you plug it in first, then insert the cells to be charged.

ven

Flashaholic
The vp2 as said is excellent,but i wanted another 2 slots with voltage readout. I dont need another vp2 with usb option. I do use the 3.8v setting however but 2 bays is enough for me.

So i decided on the older model ,the vp1. This can be bought for quite cheap(£20 in UK compared to over £30 for the vp2),buy 2 and you have 2x2 bay charger(obv 2 plugs though) . But advantages of charging different rates per 2 bays if required as separate chargers.............. thats my logic :-/ :laughing:

whizdumb

Newly Enlightened
I have the new nitecore d4.. Been very happy with it thus far.. About a month owning it and it's been doing quite nicely.. I still have my i4 and it hasn't failed on me yet either.. So I say take your pick..

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got sidetracked but ready to get a charger finally here. I'm leaning towards the MCC-4. I've also noticed there is a generic version on ebay for about $15 less, HXY brand. Is this legit or should I just get the Thrunite?

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest the Opus BT-C3100 analyzer/charger/discharger. 4-bay, LCD digital display for Li-Ion and niMh, now available in the latest 2.1 version, $45 at gearbest with coupon code btc3100

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest the Opus BT-C3100 analyzer/charger/discharger. 4-bay, LCD digital display for Li-Ion and niMh, now available in the latest 2.1 version, $45 at gearbest with coupon code btc3100

If you decide to go this route, I'd suggest you read HKJ's review first, quoting from his conclusion section:

"The high current peak from the power supply is not good for the power supply and makes the charger show wrong readings.
The oscillations prevents fully charging some LiIon cells and may lead to over voltage on old cells.
Generally the peak charge and discharge current for LiIon are a bit high, especially on the outer slots.
The resistance measurement has limited use, mostly due to contact resistance.
I would have prefered constant current, instead of the pulsing.
I am a bit suspicious about the NiMH termination, in my tests it works perfectly, but will it do that will all types of batteries?"

If those issues are not a problem for you, it can do a lot of functions...but to have that many issues listed is a little troubling for me. I decided to stay away.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you decide to go this route, I'd suggest you read HKJ's review first, quoting from his conclusion section:

"The high current peak from the power supply is not good for the power supply and makes the charger show wrong readings.
The oscillations prevents fully charging some LiIon cells and may lead to over voltage on old cells.
Generally the peak charge and discharge current for LiIon are a bit high, especially on the outer slots.
The resistance measurement has limited use, mostly due to contact resistance.
I would have prefered constant current, instead of the pulsing.
I am a bit suspicious about the NiMH termination, in my tests it works perfectly, but will it do that will all types of batteries?"

If those issues are not a problem for you, it can do a lot of functions...but to have that many issues listed is a little troubling for me. I decided to stay away.

Those issues are in the first version. The version I am talking about is already the 3rd revision, the newest v2.1, after the 2nd v2.0 (in which some of the issues you wrote are already corrected, like oscillations, etc.)