High CRI, wide pattern can light for closet?

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

friend has a walk in closet with a pull chain lampholder in it, I really don't like it as there's an incandescent bulb way too close to a shelf (code violation.)

I suggested to her that I could put in a can light with high CRI LED and drop a switch leg for a wall switch, she seemed to like that idea.

I'd thought that there were high-CRI can lights available at HD, but when I went to look all of them were ~80 CRI or CRI unlisted.

Anything currently available that would fit the bill, do you think?

thanks!

Qship1996

Enlightened
its a closet.....80+ CRI is more than sufficient in reality for the intended use,dont get caught up in chasing numbers for numbers sake only.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, she's a girl... actually somewhat girly, not my usual flannel-wearing associates :)

I was assuming that high CRI would be a good thing so as to render the colors of the clothing therein accurately.

While not a CPF member, she definitely does have tendencies as well. While not necessarily able to articulate WHY, she completely eschews CFLs and is still using incans pretty much everywhere. So I'm guessing she would notice a less than 90+ CRI light source if I tried to sneak it by her.

Qship1996

Enlightened
Understood! unless you are earning "brownie points" :p for you efforts {and we all love female brownie points},why not start with a simple experiment of screwing in a cree 60watt TW tru-color bulb from home depot, that has a high cri and much cooler than an incan. and little effort involved!

MattPete

Newly Enlightened
I'd just go with an incandescent. First, closet lights are used for short periods of time -- the payoff for a LED might be over a decade. Second, when I tried a LED (granted, a low 80s CRI -- 3000k Green Creative), it made my red shirts look washed out. I replaced it with Phillips Halogen BR40 and moved the LED to the play area in the basement (where the lights are left on all the time).

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to do something other than what's there as it's currently a blatant code violation - there's a shelf way too close to the exposed incan. I am guessing that removing the shelf is not an option.

wws944

Enlightened
The TW version of the CR6 is still at HD. But they often stock them in the Lighting section, rather than Electrical. If you go to the HD website and set your local store, the web page for the product will show you the aisle they are stocked on.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
are you in the USA?

Yes, but when I put my zip code in the HD site it doesn't give me any option to purchase the product that I believe was recommended - not even ship to store. I can still do that with the TW bulbs but I haven't checked recently; I still have a few L-prizes left.