need a durable and reliable 18650 charger.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
my sister broke the li-ion charger i gave her. it was a cytac charger from 47s many years ago.

now she needs another charger for her e-cig batteries, which are all 18650 size.
she often time leaves the batteries in the charger overnight.

what i want to get her is a charger that is durable, and will hold up to lots of use for many years.
simple to use.
2 or 4 bays is fine.

i tried doing research, and the intellicharger from nitecore, Xtar charger, and thrunite chargers keep popping up. problem is, i cant even trust their lights, how can i trust their chargers? which all seem very similar to one another, with a different name sticker to it.
and quite honestly, those chargers dont look like it'll last a year with heavy use. some of those look very fancy with lots of extra features that i find not necessary. i believe in "the simpler, the better."

im wondering if i should try out the Pila IBC charger? its older, but i dont read of many complaints about them. is it a quality product, built to last?

any help or advise would be appreciated.

HKJ

Flashaholic
There is considerable difference between the chargers.
Nitecore i2: Slow, but can also charge NiMH
Nitecore i4: Faster than i2 for two batteries, if loaded in the correct slots. Can also charge NiMH.
Xtar WP2II: Fast/slow setting and can only charge LiIon
Xtar MC1/MC2: Slow, may report finished a bit to early. Very compact and simple LiIon only charger.
Xtar VP2: Top of the line LiIon charger, it is very good, but does have a couple of settings.

The chargers has no problem with heavy use, but rough handling may damage them.

sonofjesse

Newly Enlightened
I wonder how the nitecore d4 is or the thrunite MCC-4 is?

Currently I"m still using the PILA charger it works fine(never no issues), but looking for one with 4 bays. Sorry not trying to hijack but to spur more conversation on this topic.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how the nitecore d4 is or the thrunite MCC-4 is?

Currently I"m still using the PILA charger it works fine(never no issues), but looking for one with 4 bays. Sorry not trying to hijack but to spur more conversation on this topic.

not at all. long term feedback on the Pila charger is exactly what i want to hear. im glad to hear its still working well for you.

so far i like the Xtar and Pila chargers. thank for the feedback gents. keep'em coming

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
ordered the VP2 over the weekend, pretty excited about it. been reading lots of good things about it.
thanks all.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I've used the Pila IBC for a couple of years, and recently started using the new Xtar VP2.

Of these two chargers, it seems that the Pila is "sturdier" and (certainly) simpler.

I do like the voltage display on the VP2, but it feels like the batteries don't fit as securely ... perhaps partly due to the spring-loaded sliding contacts and partly due to the larger "cradle" (to accommodate wider cells) ?

The multi-voltage / multi-current options on the VP2 add flexibility, but also complexity.

:caution: very important to check for proper settings when charging

:caution: would not charge unattended

Both chargers have different advantages, but neither is perfect :shrug: