How to tie a square sinnet lanyard (pics included)

Eich

Newly Enlightened
First off Howdy!!! Ron (gun collector) Sent me an e-mail lastnight asking if I would come over here and share my instructions and photos of how to tie lanyards. So here they are.

How to tie a removeable lanyard for you Strider folder, or a non removeable one for any other knife.

First you will need 2 length's of para-cord and a knife.

Take one length and for a loop through the pin in your knife.

If doing this with any other knife you would simply put it through the lanyard hole.

Image42.jpg
Image41.jpg

Now tie a knot in the one you looped.
Image40.jpg

Then in the other strand of cord.
Image39.jpg

Tighten the knots toghther, I leave enough room for my pinky or thumb to slip in the loop.
That leaves enough room for you to remove the loop on your Strider.

Image37.jpg

Ok now the hardest part of the entire thing!
The first link in the chain. I still struggle with this one for every one I tie.
Here is the way to do it.

Take one of the strands, fold it over.
Image36.jpg

Take the strand next to it (working in a clockwise direction) fold it over
Image35.jpg

Take the third and fold it over.
Image34.jpg

NOW THE IMPORTANT STEP
Fold the fourth one over and TUCK it under the first strand.
Now here is a tip that will assist you allways remeber that the first strand you fold will be the one you tuck the last strand under.
Cant stress how important that is. This will help you when you move on to the round version of this knot.

Image33.jpg

Image32.jpg

Now that you have your first link finished all the rest is down hill. Just repatition of folds.
Work the first one in a clockwise fassion then do it counter clockwise.
Image31.jpg

Image30.jpg

Image29.jpg

Image28.jpg

Image27.jpg

Once you are at the correct length cut the cord ends off and burn them to seal.
Image26.jpg

Now if your doing this with a Strider, you can remove the lanyard at any time you wish. Or change to a different length, as your whims hit you.
Image25.jpg

Image24.jpg

Much credit for this artical is due to MOLEXEY's original thread over on bladeforums.
I just thought I might beable to clear up some of the instructions.

I have sent a few of these to friends and they all seem to like the square verion better then the round... But Ill post the round version instructions latter on today. You need to get this version down before you attempt the round one.

Here is a quick shot of different versions that you can do.

fob.jpg

I hope this might have cleared things up a bit. If nothing else someone will look at my crappy instructions and laugh.
Sorry for the quality of the pictures, I wanted to keep them small so that I didnt use up way too much space.

Let me know what you guys think!!!
Ill be happy to answer any questions.

guncollector

Enlightened
Awesome! Thanks, Kyle (Eich)!

Folks, this is personally one of my favorite lanyard knots for flashlights, knives, multi-tool, etc.

It looks great, is functional, and provides you with a extra/emergency line in a compact form. Oh yeah, its also easily removable.

Kyle informs me tomorrow he'll get around to posting how to tie the "round" version--which is way cool too.

Enjoy!

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
much thanks!
That is the same technique used in gimp (or boon-doggling) that some of us did in Boy Scouts.

I like the ease with which you can remove it, if desired.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great instructions and clear pictorials!
Can't wait to try it out-

Got a new hobby now, knot tying- nice to have an inexpensive diversion for a change- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Kyle,
Thanks!!!
Now where is that "round" version? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
WOW, thanks ALOT!

I will try this when I get home tonight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I love that knot.

Thanks again, pics are great.

Sharp

Enlightened
I'll try this tomorrow when I'll be awake cause I'm not really awake now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Great instructions and data BTW!!

Richard

Sharp

Enlightened
I just finished mine and it's now on my Boker Gemini Tactical and it looks pretty cool.

I used two black lanyards that came with two Princeton Tec lights. I'm looking forward to buying some para-cord and try some better ones. Anyone know where I can find them? Outdoor shops I guess, but will they simply sell para-cord or should I ask for it? How much would cordura sell at?
Thanks and great instructions! Very easy to follow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Richard

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sharp said:
I'm looking forward to buying some para-cord and try some better ones. Anyone know where I can find them?

Richard

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought a bunch of paracord from KCTack two days before Christmas, and got it in less than a week. Biggest selection of colors I've seen anywhere (30 colors). Shipping was rather expensive at $10, but the price of the cord isn't too bad at .12/ft. Just order enough to justify the shipping cost I guess. Most other places just carry OD and Black, although TAD Gear has six different colors and you pay $6.75 per 100' (not available by the foot).

I've made eight or ten of these so far, used them on everything from the LS modded Minimags I keep in the gloveboxes of our cars to a pull cord for our attic stairs. After the second one, I no longer needed the instructions. Thanks for the instructions, my wife appreciates my new hobby (tying knots) as it is a lot cheaper than my knife and flashlight hobbies (although the hobbies complement eachother nicely). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Keith

Sharp

Enlightened
Thanks Keith. I think I'll check TAD Gear out since I was already thinking of placing an order there, although I'm not sure when yet.

Thanks again,
Richard

jtice

Flashaholic
Did this last night! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eich, your directions were GREAT.
Got it on the first try. Thank alot!

Anyone know any good sites that show how to make other lanyard braids? I want to learn a few more, that was fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And I have alot of lights just begging to lanyards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Oh BTW guys,,, I found this site to have the largest selection at the best price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

www.ubraidit.com

I will be ordering some black, green, grey, and mybe a few others. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Would a group buy really be cheaper,, better?

I mean, yea I figure if we got together and got 1,000 foot spools it would be cheaper than by the foot. But, some poor bastid has to sit there and measure out what we all wanted. lol

I am thinking of ordering 50 feet of black, od green, white, yellow , and grey in the next couple days.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
Oh BTW guys,,, I found this site to have the largest selection at the best price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

www.ubraidit.com

I will be ordering some black, green, grey, and mybe a few others. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like they have the same 30 colors KCTack does, but they are $04-.05 cheaper per foot than KCTack. Too bad they don't have online ordering available. Any idea how reasonable their shipping/handling costs are?

Edit: I just downloaded their pdf order form which had shipping charges on it. Looks like an order up to $24.99 would ship for $5.95. Not too bad.

-Keith

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How to tie a square sinnet lanyard (pics inclu

I've been making lanyards and keychains using both round and square sinnets as an end treatment for a while now and find that flattened and "sized" paracord makes the best knots as they end up very firm and not as bulky, they actually lay like gimp and tighten well too. I think that someone else on USN (maybe it was Kyle I can't recall) once mentioned that he actually prefers using "gutted" cord for certain knots for the same reason.

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TOB9595

Enlightened
Re: How to tie a square sinnet lanyard (pics inclu

This is outstanding info!
Thanks all
Tom