losing my taste for steak

LGT

Enlightened
For about a year now, I just don't enjoy the taste of beef steaks anymore. A ribeye on the grill used to be my favorite, but now after one or two bites, I'm done. I still like seafood and chicken. But beef has just become "blah." Anybody else lost their taste for a food they used to crave?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I eat my steak as rare as possible and I still like it.

Can't stand even medium rare anymore. The taste and texture is completely different from the ultra rare that I prefer.

Might try cooking it a different way. They say everyone's tastes change over time.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
^

cast iron on a wood fire
..good sea salt & fresh cracked peppercorns

the quality of beef is the most important aspect though

Rono8582

Newly Enlightened
All of our tastes are changing. Chicken 10 years ago isn't what it is today. Gmo in corn and grain are affecting how the final product is when consumed. Sadly, not much we can do about it.

Try buying a piece of organic grass fed antibiotic free angus beef vs generic?

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Norm

Retired Administrator
Go for a trip through South America, the best steaks I've ever eaten in Chile and Argentina.

Norm

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's a good change for your health, both the reduced red meat and pastries.

i find that i'm more picky with food/drinks, wanting more higher quality but in smaller portions. i.e. coffee to espresso, steaks cuts, beer to whiskey etc..

i'm definitely thinking more about what i eat as i age, so my tastes change in that respect as i have gotten used to healthier food. i can feel the difference in my body when eating junk food. maybe that's old age as kids can just consume anything ha.

LGT

Enlightened
Go for a trip through South America, the best steaks I've ever eaten in Chile and Argentina.

Norm
Agreed, I've had steaks from Argentina on a few trips to Aruba. It was the best I've ever had.
Could be all of the chemicals being fed to the cattle in the U.S. to make them grow bigger and more lean is what's changing my taste for beef.

MBentz

Enlightened

Can't stand even medium rare anymore. The taste and texture is completely different from the ultra rare that I prefer.

Might try cooking it a different way. They say everyone's tastes change over time.

My wife is like you. She likes her steak very rare. She even convinced me to try steak tartare when we were in Vegas. (It was delicious, of course.)

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The quality of the meat makes a big difference.
I use to like Outback Steakhouse, but lately their steaks don't appeal to me as much since I have been trying steaks in Las Vegas which are so much better.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive been tired of chicken, shrimp, and pork for a few years now... and i think im losing my taste for crab and lobster...
i thought i was weird or something, im glad to know peoples taste buds can change, and im not the only one. now i feel more normal :party:

Tracker II

Enlightened
Some foods just don't taste like they used to. I love boiled eggs, but nowadays many of them have a strong fishy taste due to some facilities using fish meal as the primary food source. I love fish too but I don't like my eggs tasting like fish.

Also, my wife gets chicken from a pricey butcher shop despite my protests that there is no fibrous feel to the meat - it's like biting into a wet sponge.

So it may not be you, it may be the food. Soylent Green anyone?

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tell the waiter to have the cook walk the steak by the grill slowly. If he hears a sizzle, try again ;)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I don't think it's just you. A lot of foods just don't taste the same any more for any number of reasons-factory farming, additives, longer transportation distances, etc. Frankenfood is a good description of most of what's on store shelves these days.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tastes change and at the same time, I've noticed that foods have also taken on a different character over the years. An uncle who is a butcher would pick some very nice cuts of meat for us. Even among Prime graded ones as well as Kobe and Wagyu my taste memory from years back were different. Lots go into producing tasty meats, what the cattle consume and drink, exercise...pretty complex equation. Among the grass and grain fed, certain producers have a different character for their animals once cooked up.

Your sense of taste has likely become more acute to a flavor you want to encounter when eating beef. Like lights...the search continues. ;)

mercrazy

Newly Enlightened
get grass fed and you'll get your taste back. the feed lot, corn fed, hormone beef doesn't have taste.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flavor is important, but I always order a ribeye steak medium rare where I was recommended to try a restaurant at the Mirage hotel in Las Vegas. This ribeye steak had flavor, but the texture of the meat was unreal where the steak actually was so tender that it literally melted in your mouth experience. This was the best steak I ever ate, and much better the Kobe beef.

Peace Train

Enlightened
The body tells us when it's in need of a food or whether that food is no longer necessary. The greater quantity of a particular food we eat over the course of our lives, the greater the chance that the body may eventually reject it. And one of the body's defense mechanisms is that it becomes allergic to the food in question.

Another mechanism is its ability to change our desire of a food through the sensation of taste. So if you really want to love something like steak again, let your body rest for a couple months or couple of years so that it can have a chance to cycle that food out of your system. The body is just telling you that it needs a break. And it's also the body's way of stopping the food behavior before it ultimately gets sick, were the behavior allowed to persist.

It's really no different than being stuck in a rut, where one day you suddenly (or gradually over a course of years) break free and do something new. You feel fresh and revived. As the body goes through changes and completes cycles, it becomes ready for something new too.

Persistent cravings, on the other hand, are something to watch out for. They can be a sign that something's off or imbalanced. It doesn't mean that the particular food is bad per se, but more of a compensation for something that may be lacking internally. It's bringing your attention to something that's in need of correcting; a red flag that's trying to get your (or your doctor's) attention.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm a weirdo.... I love my steak well-done. Yup, screw that culinary B.S. about how well-done equals burned. And, it kills the flavor. No, it doesn't. But I have to always order my steaks medium-well because otherwise the chef will give me the worst cut of meat in the place if I order it the way I actually want it. their mentality is, "Well if the guy wants it burned, why am I going to waste a good cut of meat on him? He can have this one instead."

So yes.... Still love the taste of steak. (Just wish I could order it the way I really like it.)