Bracket ideas for Hella LEDay Flex Daytime Running Light?

elagache

Newly Enlightened
Dear Automotive lighting enthusiasts,

Back in November 2010, my trusty 1965 Buick Special wagon was hit by a driver who just plowed into my wagon which wasn't moving. The accident happened in a parking lot that was in the shade of many tall redwoods. Since then, I've been on the hunt for some modern daytime running lights that might have prevented this accident. I just stumbled across the Hella LEDay Flex Daytime Running Lights:

http://www.myhellalights.com/index....ing-lights/leday-flex-daytime-running-lights/

Hotlinked images, image tags removed - Norm

They have a nice round shape that would compliment the existing round headlights and being universal it should be possible for me to mount these things somewhere:

http://www.myhellalights.com/files/7913/5058/2186/LEDayFlex_02.jpg

Alas, that's also the problem. Coming up with a bracket for these fixtures looks difficult and requiring some fancy fabrication skills.

Hella provides some bracket designs in the manual for these lights:

http://www.myhellalights.com/mounting_instructions/LEDayFlex_Mounting_Instructions.pdf

But they are clearly imagining themselves with a nice machine shop to fabricate the brackets with.

Has anybody come up with material that can be more easily adapted to mount the LEDay Flex Daytime Running Lights on your car?

Thanks in advance for any clever schemes out there! :thumbsup:

Cheers, Edouard

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Dear Automotive lighting enthusiasts,

Back in November 2010, my trusty 1965 Buick Special wagon was hit by a driver who just plowed into my wagon which wasn't moving.

It was not very nice of you to distract him from his phone call or his important text messaging, or maybe he was watching a DVD with the kids and just happened to be doing it in his car.

I've been on the hunt for some modern daytime running lights that might have prevented this accident. I just stumbled across the Hella LEDay Flex Daytime Running Lights:

I like the LEDayflex, but I'm not 100% sure how they could be mounted on a '65 Buick without extensive fabrication. Even then, I'm not sure how they'd look.

Hella provides some bracket designs in the manual for these lights: But they are clearly imagining themselves with a nice machine shop to fabricate the brackets with.

I think that's a legal requirement for all German citizens, isn't it?

I'm looking at a pic of the front of a '65 Buick Special, and wondering if the #5617 from Hella New Zealand might fit neatly, see here. Probably still difficult to get a hold of Hella NZ items, though.

elagache

Newly Enlightened
Dear Virgil and automobile performance lighting enthusiasts,

Back in November 2010, my trusty 1965 Buick Special wagon was hit by a driver who just plowed into my wagon which wasn't moving.

It was not very nice of you to distract him from his phone call or his important text messaging, or maybe he was watching a DVD with the kids and just happened to be doing it in his car.

Actually this case appears to be another one of those desperate driver safety issues that society is turning a blind eye to. The driver was clearly suffering from some sort of debilitating condition like severe arthritis. Judging from his sluggish responses after the accident, he was on some heavy-duty painkillers. Doctors are supposed to help people carry on with their lives even when suffering from severe pain, but how often to they compromise public safety because the patient is really suffering but needs to drive to have a decent life?

I like the LEDayflex, but I'm not 100% sure how they could be mounted on a '65 Buick without extensive fabrication. Even then, I'm not sure how they'd look.

I'm beginning to resign myself to your point of view. I really would like to find a way to have daytime running lights that would be hidden when the car isn't running. This car is now rather rare example of a nicely restored station wagon of the 1960s. I sure would like to avoid anything that seriously detracts from the appearance of a 1965 Buick Special.

Hella provides some bracket designs in the manual for these lights: But they are clearly imagining themselves with a nice machine shop to fabricate the brackets with.

I think that's a legal requirement for all German citizens, isn't it?

LOL!! :laughing:

I'm looking at a pic of the front of a '65 Buick Special, and wondering if the #5617 from Hella New Zealand might fit neatly, see here. Probably still difficult to get a hold of Hella NZ items, though.

That's another route, but it sure wouldn't look very period correct. I think I'll just have to keep looking.

Oh well, thanks for tossing out at least some ideas!

Cheers, Edouard