Quest for perfection.

smako

Newly Enlightened
It's been my experience that, when I first got into the hobby (Addiction), I was all about what other people thought about a light. I wouldn't look at the features of a light. I'd look at how someone else felt about those particular features. These days I have a good collection of lights and I know exactly what I want. Happy days yeah? Perhaps not. Now that I know exactly what I want in a light, I cannot for the life of me find something that ticks all of the boxes. Everything is a compromise.

Here's my perfect light:

Feels like a Malkoff: If you've ever had a malkoff you know what I'm talking about. That heft of thing when you pick it up, you know you're holding on to something built with purpose and quality. The head of my MD2 weighs as much as an entire Zebralight SC600 II. It gives you the feeling that if you ever lost your hammer, the Malkoff would give it a runs for its money.

Perfect beam shot: To my eye my Surefire Fury(s) has the perfect mix of flood and throw. Beamshot is sexy smooth. It has half the lumen of my other lights, but they're 100% effective. My 500lm Fury(s) will out throw my 1000lm ZL SC600 II. Dat reflector. It does all of this without sacrificing usable flood. The on tint the other hand... meh.

18650: If you're anything like me, you've always got a torch either in your hand, in your pocket, or at arms length. I'd wager, that 50% of the time my torches are on, they're not being used for anything useful. It must have rechargeable batteries or I feel like I'm wasting primaries.

I've been taking a good long hard look at the Prometheus Alpha blue label. I've seen the torture tests, the quality of the light is awesome. My potential gripes being. Not enough throw and its perhaps a little too long.

Anyway, enough about my perfect light. What mix of features does your perfect light have?

nbp

Flashaholic
Alpha may suit you well, and you can pick your emitter. The other thing you could take a look at would be the McGizmo Terra Ram or Aqua Ram. With the XP-G2 it may be right up your alley.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If someone had enough sense to add knurling to the Fury and make it 18650 compatible, that would be my ideal light.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feels like a Malkoff: If you've ever had a malkoff you know what I'm talking about. That heft of thing when you pick it up, you know you're holding on to something built with purpose and quality. The head of my MD2 weighs as much as an entire Zebralight SC600 II. It gives you the feeling that if you ever lost your hammer, the Malkoff would give it a runs for its money.

Perfect beam shot: To my eye my Surefire Fury(s) has the perfect mix of flood and throw. Beamshot is sexy smooth. It has half the lumen of my other lights, but they're 100% effective. My 500lm Fury(s) will out throw my 1000lm ZL SC600 II. Dat reflector. It does all of this without sacrificing usable flood. The on tint the other hand... meh.

18650: If you're anything like me, you've always got a torch either in your hand, in your pocket, or at arms length. I'd wager, that 50% of the time my torches are on, they're not being used for anything useful. It must have rechargeable batteries or I feel like I'm wasting primaries.

I've been doing this for a number of years... There is no perfect light, and likely never will be--at least not for all my uses.

I must point out that, for me, the MD2 covers everything you listed above. Build, perfect beam (M61N) and 18650. It is in the top 5 best lights I've ever owned. If the newest generation bodies had better knurling, it might actually be the closest thing to perfection that I've owned.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
It's been my experience that, when I first got into the hobby (Addiction), I was all about what other people thought about a light. I wouldn't look at the features of a light. I'd look at how someone else felt about those particular features. These days I have a good collection of lights and I know exactly what I want. Happy days yeah? Perhaps not. Now that I know exactly what I want in a light, I cannot for the life of me find something that ticks all of the boxes. Everything is a compromise.

Here's my perfect light:

I've been taking a good long hard look at the Prometheus Alpha blue label. I've seen the torture tests, the quality of the light is awesome. My potential gripes being. Not enough throw and its perhaps a little too long.

Anyway, enough about my perfect light. What mix of features does your perfect light have?

If I understand you correctly, a Malkoff with more power and Fury-like beam pattern, and that took an 18650 and had a decent tint would do it for you?

Overready/Fivemega has some hosts/drop ins that might tic these boxes...have you checked them out?

Last edited:

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi smako and cland72,
If you like the Fury, but prefer 18650s, like I do, you might want to look at FiveMega's excellent 18650 body for the Fury here:-
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hp?371214-18650-urefire-Fury-body-By-FIVEMEGA

You can return it back to stock condition by swapping back the original body.

I've got one and it works great! Oops... cland72 posted this too. Disregard this. :p

Another alternative is Ronac's 18650 body for the P2X, which is available through Oveready or through the Cryos Illumination website.

Last edited:

geisto

Newly Enlightened
Fraz 26650 QTC light
1. Tough
2. Reliable
3. Adequate brightness (500-600 eyeball lumens with a HCRI XML2)
4. 18650-capable when used with a sleeve. Icing on the cake if Fraz comes out with a 3 Cell body tube.
5. User-maintainable...easy to swap out the QTC, Optic, O-rings, or LED/Copper PCB.

Only tradeoffs are it's not a light for beam snobs and it's a twisty UI. If I need a clicky light, the Malkoff MD2 comes into play.