Recommand me a light for jungle (amazonia, seek for wildlife) and mountains walk

Tgaud

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I Want a light for amazonia jungle.
Being on the river and iluminating the far borders looking for wildlife (long range, powerful)
And walking in the jungle, and illuminating the surroundings, seeing everything at any moment.
And for going into the colca canyon too.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $250.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

Rechargeable stuff would be cool. but its bonus

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.
Its ok. But i want to have a good autonomy.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't know.

15) Water resistance

____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
Or More.

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

I don't know

Thank you

Tgaud

Newly Enlightened
Some precisions :

1_ I need a lot of autonomy as i'll stay in jungle for days without any access to a shop.
2_ at least two level of illumination (fullpower / low) would be cool to switch with. But I need that both of them have a large autonomy.
3_ I need to order it and having it at home in france in less than one week.

cistallus

Enlightened
Consider the TK75vn (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?374328-WTS-TK75vn-4400L) or SR52vn (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?386321-SR52vn-Another-Must-Have-Thrower) - Vinh ships internationally, perhaps you could get it in less than a week - I suggest emailing him about that and also if those lights are what he'd recommend for your application. You will also need at least several sets of 18650 cells and a charger.

If you need a more flexible power source you could consider a 3-AA or 4-AA light like M40A, GX25A3, EA41, D40A, etc. or (better) the Vinh versions of them, and get a lot of Eneloops and a charger - this way if necessary you could run on regular AA alkaline batteries (at lower levels).

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot wait to see the replies, as I have never been to a jungle with an led torch I am far from qualified to even make a suggestion as I presume the tint to identity the natural colours will be of great importance.I suggest that any recommended lights you choose come from qualified users in the scenario you will be in.

Last edited:

Tgaud

Newly Enlightened
Well if he can send one in time, why not.
i'm new here, but he's customizing flashlight ? And its better than what you can buy online ?

this seem interesting.

Though the perfect solution for me would be to join the good Batteries/charger inside. as I have no clue to where to get thoses..
And something that can be charged both in Peru, France... etc.

What i like in the rechargeable, is that you can leave your mind empty (and that it can be more powerful? dont know).
You forgot to buy AA ? no problem.

I'm taking my flight thursday night in paris... So i hope i can find a fast delivery.

Last edited:

Tgaud

Newly Enlightened
Well VN products take 2-3weeks to deliver, it will be too late for me. I'm very disappointed to not being able to have one after seeing what it look like..

Do you guys have any idea to what to order close to the TK75VN, but that i can get online with a fast delivery option (amazon...etc)

tubed

Enlightened
There are some key pieces of information that would be helpful. The VnTk75 is a great light but is quite large/heavy and requires charging multiple 18650 batteries.

Which will you have more access to? electricity or stores? --- if electricity, then take a light that uses rechargeables. There are 2 main types: lithium Ion batteries like 18650s and Ni Cd batteries(rechargeable AA batteries like you buy in store.) Most rechargeable batteries hold more energy per gram then disposable batteries so if you're going to be away from all civilization, the lithium ion batteries will give you the most run time. They are more more expensive however, and some lights that take them will not take disposable batteries -- some will. Often in some rural situations it is easier to buy disposable batteries then to charge rechargable batteries.

Regardless, there are plenty of lights that are smaller than the tk75 and can fit in your pocket, take only 1 or 2 batteries and can provide a lot of light for you.
If you decide to go with lithium ion batteries, I would recommend the Eagletac S200c2. -75$, can fit on belt or large pocket, single 18650 but also take disposable (but harder to find CR123 batteries).

Tgaud

Newly Enlightened
There are some key pieces of information that would be helpful. The VnTk75 is a great light but is quite large/heavy and requires charging multiple 18650 batteries.

Which will you have more access to? electricity or stores? --- if electricity, then take a light that uses rechargeables. There are 2 main types: lithium Ion batteries like 18650s and Ni Cd batteries(rechargeable AA batteries like you buy in store.) Most rechargeable batteries hold more energy per gram then disposable batteries so if you're going to be away from all civilization, the lithium ion batteries will give you the most run time. They are more more expensive however, and some lights that take them will not take disposable batteries -- some will. Often in some rural situations it is easier to buy disposable batteries then to charge rechargable batteries.

Regardless, there are plenty of lights that are smaller than the tk75 and can fit in your pocket, take only 1 or 2 batteries and can provide a lot of light for you.
If you decide to go with lithium ion batteries, I would recommend the Eagletac S200c2. -75$, can fit on belt or large pocket, single 18650 but also take disposable (but harder to find CR123 batteries).

how much hours of light will I have ?

Tgaud

Newly Enlightened
can someone advise me a model available on : Link to Amazon France deleted as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm
On amazon.com, some models doesn't ship to my country...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tgaud

Newly Enlightened
I already talked to vinh.
The problem is that with UPS it take beetween 3-5days and he can ship only monday... so it's not possible , :( :(

I think i have the choice beetween :
[h=1]TN32 (LED CREE XM-L2 U2)[/h][h=1]TN35[/h][h=1]Eagletac SX25L2 XM-L2 Rechargeable Flashlight XM-L2[/h][h=1]Fenix TK75 XM-L2[/h]
I dont find anything else on Link to Amazon France deleted as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

radiopej

Enlightened
You may be better off with a headlamp if you're exploring a jungle - you may need your hands. The Nitecore HC90 seems exceedingly good based on features, though I don't know about the reliability at all. Maybe grab a few spare batteries and a solar charger?

Then also grab a nice, throwy flashlight like the TK22 or so. It'll be much easier to lug around and uses the same battery.

With those you can then also add an Olight i3S as a final backup that uses more easily found AAA batteries.

I think those three together come to under $250. Probably more if you get a solar charger, but less if you just buy disposables. The HC90 can recharge vis USB, albeit it does so slowly.

My friend went on a sample collection a while ago, found headlamps much more useful for the everyday components.

All that being said, for a single flashlight with great power, yeah, TK75 or TK76.

Last edited:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may be better off with a headlamp if you're exploring a jungle - you may need your hands....

I agree with this 1000%....YOU NEED A HEADLAMP! When I only need a light every now & then I prefer having just a flashlight on hand, BUT when I'm outdoors using a light a lot, I use headlights farrrrrr more than I use a handheld light. Before you go on this trip GET A HEADLIGHT. You will probably end up using it 90% of the time. Your second light should be a good throwy handheld as suggested above, so you can see out to a good distance. Most headlamps are relatively floody, so a throwy handheld would be very useful.

Headlight - I recommend either the Zebralight H600w MkII (which uses one 18650 rechargeable) or the Zebralight H52w (which uses a singe AA battery.) I own a ton of headlights & use them everyday while trail running before sun up. These two Zebralight headlamps are by far my favorites, and have been ever since they've been out.

Throwy handheld flashlight - I'm a big fan of Olight flashlights for this roll. I have been using the Olight M21x ever since it came out, and am about to upgrade to the newer Olight M22 Warrior. Both of these lights use just one 18650.

I'd also recommend that you buy 2 lights that use the same type of battery for simplicity.

Good Luck!

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Hope you found a suitable light OP, have a good trip!

I spent 6 months in a reasonably nice camp in a jungle in South America- headlamps are useful but you need to bare in mind that unless you're inside a mosquito net, it will attract the majority of the local flying insect population directly into your face... That said, you can always use a headlamp as a flashlight but it's harder to use a flashlight as a headlamp...

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point gravelmonkey. In reading his requirements it struck me that he probably needs more than one, possibly three lights.

1. you should always have a backup (and some would say backups for your backups)
2. A headlamp for general lighting, probably doesn't need to be 18650-based
3. A high powered handlight. I like the idea of a multiple AA design, that way he could use rechargables when he can and also probably buy standard alkalines when in town.

MartinDWhite

Enlightened
I have spent time in the deep woods, but never the jungle. I have spent time on a canoe, both river and lake with lights. My experience has been that a multi-level headlight, a handheld throw flashlight, and a solar based recharging set are good. The solar based thing is ONLY good if you can put the panel where direct sunlight hits it for 3-4 hours a day.

I use:

H602w 18650 XM-L2 Flood Headlamp Neutral White running on a eagletach 3400mha 18650
Malkoff MD4 with a HoundDog XML head running on two eagletach 3400mha 18650
Wenger Portable Folding Solar Charger-Pro 6.75W with two of the 5000mha battery packs
Cottonpickers Nano-Charger (usb to magnet lead charger)

This setup and a pair of spare 18650 batteries gives two levels of throw output in the flashlight and 6 levels of headlamp output. The battery packs also have a flashlight function that is usable fr reading and other camp site chores, and is a backup to the backup. The battery packs will charge the 18650s about 1.5 times from dead each. If the batteries are not completely dead I usually get two charges.

This setup, with sunlight access, will give virtually unlimited stay in the woods with a lot of light. If I could only have one light then it would be the Malkoff HoundDog.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
What do the experts who visit jungles recommend?
I hope the OP found something that met his needs.

Can't comment on jungle, but I have done several rainforest trips. I described one these here. Of course, those lights are all ancient now, but the general principles persist.

No knowing more about how long a duration trip (and how frequently access to power sources would be available), it's hard to advise. But as a general rule, I would recommend using common AA batteries (as these are much easier to source locally if needed). I would bring NiMH and a good travel charger, with L91 backups. Something like the Sunwayman D40A neutral white, or the Sunwayman F40A with a diffuser cover might be good - tons of light, good throw. There's plenty of similar 4xAA lights out there, but that one also comes with red LEDs (which may help keep the bugs down around you).

If one really felt the need for greater throw, I'd probably go with a Vinh mod of such a compact light. I personally wouldn't take a 3/4x18650 class thrower to the rainforest - overkill for throw, and just too heavy to lug around (i.e., near 100% humidity is not fun). ;) When it comes to critter spotting, eye-shine is really what you want to use to identify (which doesn't take much output or throw - discussed in this thread).

Whatever you took, backup lights are a must (and a headlamp is great idea - especially if it has a red LED mode).

Last edited:

Latest posts