single 18650 flashlight- question about best choice of economical cells and charger

jn2

Newly Enlightened
I am brand new to flashlights, and would like to buy one or more inexpensive flashlights that use one 18650 battery. I am leaning toward buying from Fast tech, but I am stuck on what charger and batteries to buy. I know I do not want to use USB, but their selection of 120v chargers seems slim, unless I am missing something. Mind you, some companies seem to offer free shipping, so maybe I should buy batteries and a charger somewhere else.

In any event, I need a recommendation for a charger and batteries, not the cheapest, but definitely on the budget side. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
For sub $25 chargers, I've had good luck with the Xtar WP2 II and the Nitecore i4 v2. For a bit more flexibility with li-ion technologies, get the $50 Xtar VP2, since you'll be using 18650s.

The VP2 will allow you to use the 4.35v (3.8v) 18650s that FastTech sells, but FastTech seems to be deficient on their charger offerings, so look elsewhere if you're interested in the above two brands.

Check out the Convoy lights while you're there.

Chris

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am brand new to flashlights, and would like to buy one or more inexpensive flashlights that use one 18650 battery. I am leaning toward buying from Fast tech, but I am stuck on what charger and batteries to buy. I know I do not want to use USB, but their selection of 120v chargers seems slim, unless I am missing something. Mind you, some companies seem to offer free shipping, so maybe I should buy batteries and a charger somewhere else.

In any event, I need a recommendation for a charger and batteries, not the cheapest, but definitely on the budget side. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

why don't you want a USB charger? they work great, run cool, and usually do proper CC/CV charging. try the xtar mc1

cheap 220/110v chargers are usually don't do a proper cc/cv

get a KeepPower 18650, good quality construction (i've dissected a few so i know)

jn2

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps irrational, but I worry about my six year old notebook computer, which I use for business as well. I'm sure everyone knows the pain of losing and having to replace everything if something catastrophic happens. I am not tech savvy, and I just don't want to add any unecessary burden to it.