Deoxit leaked into battery cover

ike1985

Enlightened
Hey everybody. I just used my first tubes of deoxit d100 and deoxit gold to clean my lights and batteries, followed by an application of nyogel. However, I now have discoloration on my VTC5. I used a bit too much (was my first time) and the deoxit d100 has worked its' way into the cover. The image attached isn't my battery but mine looks sorta like this but like more of a liquid (smooth edges) stain:

Is it safe to use? I am thinking it has no effect since the battery is contained in a metal shell.
q99xYj8.jpg

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Only thing you can do is dry it, and then test with a meter and then charge and use but do all of the above like a eagle and dont loose sight of it incase it decides to give out, if in doubt just replace there not that much compered to what a house fire or your health will cost you at the end of the day, but If you want to use it just mark it so you know which one it is and can keep and eye on it from now on. Id not worry to much if it manages a few cycles without issue, just as said keep an eye on it, but if it was me, Id just replace it if I was worried, there only a battery! After whats $10/20 compered to your health/house/expensive lights.

ike1985

Enlightened
Only thing you can do is dry it, and then test with a meter and then charge and use but do all of the above like a eagle and dont loose sight of it incase it decides to give out, if in doubt just replace there not that much compered to what a house fire or your health will cost you at the end of the day, but If you want to use it just mark it so you know which one it is and can keep and eye on it from now on. Id not worry to much if it manages a few cycles without issue, just as said keep an eye on it, but if it was me, Id just replace it if I was worried, there only a battery! After whats $10/20 compered to your health/house/expensive lights.

Yea I just don't see how it could affect anything given that the battery is actually surrounded by a metal casing.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Yea I just don't see how it could affect anything given that the battery is actually surrounded by a metal casing.
Hmm Id aggree with that, its likely just the wraping, you could always rewrap them, Im just saying if your worried just replace, Id give it a go and see if it work's tbh, just know there is a possible risk. Also it may be encased but there not waterproof! A lot of 18650 Batterys have vents in them =) But as said give it a go just keep an eye on it!

ike1985

Enlightened
Hmm Id aggree with that, its likely just the wraping, you could always rewrap them, Im just saying if your worried just replace, Id give it a go and see if it work's tbh, just know there is a possible risk. Also it may be encased but there not waterproof! A lot of 18650 Batterys have vents in them =) But as said give it a go just keep an eye on it!

Isn't deoxit like alcohol anyway, in that it dries quickly and leaves nothing behind?

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Sorry, no idea, Id just treat it as if it was any other liquid, make sure its dry and then test, (Aka rewrap it? and make sure its not wet under the wrapper)

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
There is a thread in the batterys section that goes into more detail, but basicly you remove the old wrapping, then put a new wrapping on (Its like a roll of headshrink type stufff) you heat it up and lable it, easy peasy. The thread should be sticky ed.

ike1985

Enlightened
There is a thread in the batterys section that goes into more detail, but basicly you remove the old wrapping, then put a new wrapping on (Its like a roll of headshrink type stufff) you heat it up and lable it, easy peasy. The thread should be sticky ed.

Thanks I will try to find the thread and continue to test the battery as always.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Deoxit's active ingredient has a consistency similar to a light mineral oil, it doesn't evaporate but stays there and continues working to remove and prevent terminal corrosion. It's also pretty much non-conductive where flashlights and most things are concerned, so being under the wrapper should only be a cosmetic issue.