SC62w First Impressions

holygeez03

Enlightened
I am starting this thread for the SC62w only... in order to separate discussions from the threads referring to both the neutral and cool versions of the SC62 light.

I pre-ordered my SC62w today and it looks like a few others have on here as well. Pending SC62w owners, please use this thread to let everyone know when you receive the light and how the tint, switch, etc. compares to other ZL models (I know it can be difficult to describe in writing)...

Very much looking forward to beamshots from anyone who receives their light before me...

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for starting a new thread to keep things organized. SC62 models are starting to get mentioned in too many other threads. I look forward to seeing everyone else's feedback specifically on the SC62w. I'm very excited to compare it to my SC62d...hopefully the extra output is worth a lower CRI; I'm confident it will be.

turkeylord

Enlightened
Subscribed! Not in the cards for me at the moment, so I'll be living vicariously through the posts here, lol... :broke:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pre ordered this morning. I was following the other threads and just waiting for the w variant to come online. I'll chime in when it arrives.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I'm so ready for this light. I'm thinking it may be "The One" ;)

Ken

If the tint is as good as my old SC51w and H51Fw, it could be my new favorite... or if it is at least as good as my H52Fw... my only wish is that it would have a "deep carry" clip like the H series lights...

chrickso

Newly Enlightened
good news, everyone! ordered this morning, shipped this morning. now:

"Your item was picked up at 5:24 pm on August 12, 2014 in SOUTHLAKE, TX 76092. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later."

huzzah!

markr6

Flashaholic
picked up at 3:34 pm on August 12, 2014 in SOUTHLAKE, TX 76092

WILL BE IN MAILBOX THURSDAY!!

jak

Enlightened
Mine too arrives Wednesday (Aug. 13). I will do my best to post pix of it against my SC600w L2 and SC62d asap.
Expectations are high, which is always dangerous.

UPDATED W/PICTURES:

sc62w-01.jpg

sc62w-vs-sc62d-01.jpg

sc62w-vs-sc62d-02.jpg

You'll have to forgive my camera phone photography skills, or lack thereof. While the hotspots look oversaturated, the spills seem to acurately represent what the color is really like.

Quick points
  • The beam is identical to the SC52s, same reflector it appears
  • The aluminum is lighter in color than the last 2 Zebralights I've ordered (SC52w L2, SC62d)
  • The firmer switch is back, and that is awesome!
  • The w is warmer than the d, but overall doesn't seem all that warm to me (which is good in my opinion = neutral)
  • Probably the best neutral white renditions I've received from Zebralight.
  • UI works perfect, as does all levels of brightness
  • Low beacon mode uses an extremely low low
  • The bevel above and below the switch has been widened, better for glove wearers and/or fatter fingers.
    [See photo below]

There have been several questions about anodizing, and honestly, I may not be the ideal person to ask. I don't fully know how to rate that, nor have I had a problem with it in the past. I will say I have no flaws in my unit, and all the edges are nice and smooth.

sc62w-vs-sc62d-03.jpg

Last edited:

jak

Enlightened
If Zebralight was Porsche, the 62d would be the Cayman, the 62w would be the 911, and the 600 would be the Cayenne (SUV).
(car guys will appreciate this)

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just arrived, more to post later, but I think a lot of Zebra fans will be pleased... It's lighter in color, like they used to be... and the firmer clicky switch is back!

Pix coming soon...

That's good news! I liked the light colored anodizing and firm switch.

Hows' the quality of the anodizing? Does it have defects like the SC62d? or is it flawless like the SC52w?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey jak, great report. It sounds to me like mostly good stuff with this light. I thought your beamshots were perfect for showing the differences in the tints. I'm also glad to hear that the beam is the same as SC52, because I've found the SC52w to have an excellent, smooth and useful beam profile.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't resist anymore and went ahead with the order. Not too sure if they will start shipping for me any time soon since they usually ship from China to me.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey jak, great report. It sounds to me like mostly good stuff with this light. I thought your beamshots were perfect for showing the differences in the tints. I'm also glad to hear that the beam is the same as SC52, because I've found the SC52w to have an excellent, smooth and useful beam profile.
Agree. For EDC and whatever one needs a light to do on a daily and general coverage basis, the SC52w's beam profile is really excellent! I am still impressed with the SC52w even after owning it for about a year.

jak

Enlightened
Thanks Derek! I am impressed with this light immensely, and I had dangerously high expectations. Honestly, I have nothing negative to say at this time. It gets hot quickly on the h1, but I think that can be expected.

In my photos, if you look at the color of the spill light right at the head of the flashlight, that's the closest to the actual color of the tint.

I'm pleased with the SC52/62's beam as well; extremely versatile. If you take 2 SC52s and put them on max and aim them at the same spot, you have a virtual replica of this light's beam pattern and brightness.